Looe Key Diving, boat rentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SIUegyptiandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, Im planning a family dive trip to Looe Key next spring and will be renting a boat. I've done some research and looks like Quality Boat Rentals in Marathon is the way to go.

Anyone ever use these guys? any feedback: positive or negative? Looking to rent a 26 foot proline for the week, anyone ever dive from one?

Is the Adolphus Busch easily accessible using your own boat (moorings?) and is it a wise idea to do so?

thanks for any feedback!

you may find it easier to just get on a charter boat out of big pine key to dive looe key.,they supply all weight/tanks that you will need for the dives.Rent a boat and you still have to rent tanks/weights/etc....it is a bit of a run from Marathon so gas use will be high and who is to watch the boat while diving? Unless you have quite a bit of boat experience on the ocean and can navigate it is a bad idea.

Thanks oly, appreciate the input. have dove with charters before but am travelling with the family this time and plan on at least 3 if not 4 of us diving all day for a week. Cost and freedom of choice point me towards renting a boat. we are staying in cudjoe and they will deliver the boat for free (my gas obviously), so only a 7 mile trip out to the reef. I have lots of boating experience on both power and sail boats in the ocean as well as on Lake Michigan and the boat comes with all the latest electronic nav equipment (and there's always my dive compass if that fails ;-) we will dive in pairs and leave at least one adult on the boat at all times.

should have posted some of those little details in my initial post, sorry.

Thanks oly, appreciate the input. have dove with charters before but am travelling with the family this time and plan on at least 3 if not 4 of us diving all day for a week. Cost and freedom of choice point me towards renting a boat. we are staying in cudjoe and they will deliver the boat for free (my gas obviously), so only a 7 mile trip out to the reef. I have lots of boating experience on both power and sail boats in the ocean as well as on Lake Michigan and the boat comes with all the latest electronic nav equipment (and there's always my dive compass if that fails ;-) we will dive in pairs and leave at least one adult on the boat at all times.

should have posted some of those little details in my initial post, sorry.

Cool..I used to dive out of Cudjoe often ..If I remember right the Cudjoe marina is owned/ran by Tim?? A good friend of mine , Jim Wyatt, ran a charted out of there and I crewed every so often. The Busch has moorings on it.

LOL, I tried to contact Capt Jim, waiting so see if he responds...he has moved to North Florida and does more cave diving than reef diving now from what I understand. I havent been to Cudjoe in many many moons but am looking forward to a great family vacation there.

thanks for the info on the Busch and taking the time to respond.

safe diving!:cool2:

LOL, I tried to contact Capt Jim, waiting so see if he responds...he has moved to North Florida and does more cave diving than reef diving now from what I understand. I havent been to Cudjoe in many many moons but am looking forward to a great family vacation there.

thanks for the info on the Busch and taking the time to respond.

safe diving!:cool2:

Jim moved north about 5 years ago.Heavy into the cave scene now.

Not to pop your bubble but the Keys aint Lake Michigan!
Most rentals may have all legal requirements for operation Marine radio,Fire Ex,Life vest's ect,,basic GPS,,
But when it comes to the must haves like Chart Plotter GPS navigational aid's they will or may be lacking Ask,,
The winds did you think about them? a good blow will mess up rental plans quick The winds can cook up the seas fast it always seems like the ocean is the photo glass flat the day your north bound on US1,,
It all look's good on paper but I strongly agree with a charter as you have fill's,lead,ect basically included and no pay if you cant go.
I have done rentals (day) weather permitting after many trips with local skippers on the nuance's of the Key's and ONLY after purchasing current up to date hard charts-and current Chart Plotter for my Nav system of the area I brought my own .
The Keys has many preserve areas to look out for when boating but most dive areas do have moorings making a easy dive site to locate and dive, A Top side person with boating operation knowledge a must have,
Have a safe and fun time,by the way the last time on our boat return the guy next to us was being charged for a prop and skeg OUCH!

We rented a 21 ft boat (simple) with a 90 hp Mercury from the marina that is on the Big Pine side of the Bogey Channel bridge to No Name Key. It will get you to Looe Key and the A. Busch very easily as long as the weather is nice.

Update: currently renting a boat from Quality Boat Rentals out of Marathon. 26ft Proline with a 225 Yamaha 4-stroke. Gets us to and from the reef and the Adolphus Busch easily and comfortably. Had 4 foot seas yesterday, and was happy to have rented the larger 26ft boat, would have been really uncomfortable in anything much smaller. Though not a great handler in tight quarters (docking in the canal is an adventure most days) this boat easiliy handles my family of 4 (3 scuba divers, one snorkeler) and gear. Hope that info is useful to anyone else looking for suggestions on boat rental in the lower keys.

Using some dirty math, it seems to me a charter is more economical and safer for a family of 4 even if you do 3 dives a day. When you add the risks that you have to manage as captain and cancelation risks, it seems like a no brainer to go charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom