Longer BPs...a good thing?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaCat

Reaction score
What is the general concensus on longer backplates for "taller" people?

I know Halcyon says that, whatever the height their standard plate can be made to fit and discourages changing plate size bkz it "throws off the dimensions" in terms of stage bottle hardware, etc...ie not standardized.

I'm 6'3" and find the waist strap webbing of my plate comes over my lower ribs. I play with crotch strap length to accomodate this somewhat, but what do others do?

Do you find that longer plates are a "better" option for taller divers?

Thank you!

AquaCat:

I know Halcyon says that, whatever the height their standard plate can be made to fit and discourages changing plate size bkz it "throws off the dimensions" in terms of stage bottle hardware, etc...ie not standardized.

I'm 6'3" and find the waist strap webbing of my plate comes over my lower ribs. I play with crotch strap length to accomodate this somewhat, but what do others do?

Thank you!
Fit is everything in BCs and BPs. A waist strap should be around your waist (where your jeans belt is); over your ribs is not only uncomforatble, but also dangerous as it restricts breathing. Several manufacturers (e.g. FredT) make extra tall backplates so get one of those asap.

And ask for his backplate info.
He will email you the info.

ScubaRon:
Fit is everything in BCs and BPs. A waist strap should be around your waist (where your jeans belt is); over your ribs is not only uncomforatble, but also dangerous as it restricts breathing. Several manufacturers (e.g. FredT) make extra tall backplates so get one of those asap.

I think you wear your jeans waist at a very different point from where I wear mine.

Are you sure you havent got the should straps too tight and are pulling the plate up too much? I am also 6'3" and my waist strap is exactly where it should be, on my waist/top of hips, i dont need to pull it down with the crotch strap and it comes out horizontal from the bottom of the BP. It is a Zeagle BP, dont know if the dims are different on it, but its doesnt feel or look any longer than any others that i have tried or seen.

jonnythan:
I think you wear your jeans waist at a very different point from where I wear mine.
You and I have different bodies and there are different styles of jeans too, so you are right. But semantics apart, the key point is that you should have the waist strap around your waist where it [a] can be tightened properly, feels comfortable and [c] does not restrict breathing.

Whoops.

AquaCat:

Thank you![/QUOTE}

Haven't you heard the new standards for anyone representing Halcyon?

All divers will be 5'10"-5'11" and must weigh between 178-181#. In order to present an even more uniforn appearance all hair will be parted on the left and color variance will only go from brown to med brown. This will take care of any sizing issues that you may encounter. Next year we will tighten standards and make the tough. :jestera:

You're still 1/32" of inch too tall. :bash:

When I was looking at ordering a BP from Fred he told me to measure form the 2nd vertabrae to the bottom of the belt on my jeans. I am 6'4" and my measurement was something like 21". This put me in his XL backplate. I now have both the AL and SS plates and so far have not seen any issues in hooking up gear to them. Fred puts enough attachment points in and from what I have seen in comparing his plate to a GUTS Al normal sized plate I have it seems that enough holes line up to allow standard gear hookups. $ for $ I would say that Fred's plates and other gear are some of the best out there. The tech at my LDS is a serious cave diver and was very impressed by the plates and rings.

It might not be strictly DIR, but to me comfort is a big part of diving right and the longer plates are a lot more comfortable to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom