Long Trip - Need Luggage Advice Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZiggyS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All

I'm lucky enough to be heading off on a 6-7 week trip around SE Asia at the beginning of next year and diving will be figuring heavily wherever we go. I was hoping to get some advice on what to use to carry my dive gear which will have to go in the hold. Things I'm taking into account:

1. This bag will be for dive gear only, I'll have a separate bag for clothes etc...
  2. Camera will go into hand luggage
  3. Need something durable as the bag is going to take quite a lot of knocks at all the airports but at the same time light that it doesn't unnecessarily impinge on weight restrictions.
  4. Would like something subtle - I don't really want patches all over it that may attract unnecessary attention"

all thoughts really appreciated...thanks!

I would recommend a Samsonite hardshell wheeled suitcase. They don't look like dive luggage, are incredibly durable, and available cheaply, often at thrift stores. I use the Samsonite anytime I fly for diving. I also pack a large mesh backpack for using at the dive site.

My suggestion would be to go to a local diveshop with a fairly good selection of dive bags and have a good rummage through them. Pick them up, look inside them and roll them around to get the feel for the weight.

Most of the dive brands are durable as they're designed to carry heavy gear around. I would advise against buying a cheap suitcase from a discount shop.

Like you, I don't like bags that advertise their content to thieves. The fewer logos splashed on them, the better.

I've had a large wheelie case with hard/solid bottom and sides. The trade-off is between weight and durability (hence the importance of getting the feel for the weight when you're choosing).

Hi All

I'm lucky enough to be heading off on a 6-7 week trip around SE Asia at the beginning of next year and diving will be figuring heavily wherever we go. I was hoping to get some advice on what to use to carry my dive gear which will have to go in the hold. Things I'm taking into account:

1. This bag will be for dive gear only, I'll have a separate bag for clothes etc...
  2. Camera will go into hand luggage
  3. Need something durable as the bag is going to take quite a lot of knocks at all the airports but at the same time light that it doesn't unnecessarily impinge on weight restrictions.
  4. Would like something subtle - I don't really want patches all over it that may attract unnecessary attention"

I have used LL Beans large rolling duffle before weight restrictions (wheels, handle and solid bottom take up weight capacity) made me go with the large Northface back pack duffle - PVC. Both had lasted through a number of trips and are ready for more. The rolling duffle would have been nicer if it would stand upright without assistance. The Northface duffle can take quite a bit of abuse but it all depends on whether you can heft your own luggage or if you don't mind paying extra for someone else to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom