Long term planning WRT Scubapro Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a little quandary here.

I have a Mk17 with an S600 primary and a 195 octo. Issue is that there are not many local places that service Scubapro (I believe due to the costs involved in getting certified). They are now a couple of years old with approx 55 dives on them but no signs of issues at present.

Long term I am thinking of changing to Apeks (probably DST with XTX50 or ATX 50) unless I can get a good second hand set (might go for ATX40 and do the barrel switch as it appears pretty simple). Virtually all of the local service places will service them or Aqualung.

I reckon that, especially if I can find a second hand set, I wouldn't be too much out of pocket especially taking into account travel to get services done.

I would love to learn how to service my own (especially from a "repair in the wilds" point of view) but, as I am only using one set, I reckon the skills/knowledge drop off between services would be too much to make it make sense.

Makes sense or am I being silly?

Yeah it makes sense. People always ask which reg to get and I think, well which reg can you get serviced locally? On the other hand those are really nice regs... maybe it’s worth a long drive every couple of years to keep what you have?

@Neilwood

So I have 3 sets of Apex XTX 50, and 3 set of AL Legends lux. My wife has Scubapro and Apex.

Luckily here we can get all brands serviced at same place. SP costs more generally (not significantly given the annual spend on diving)

When travelling I know I can always get my regs supported if there is an issue. The SP not so much.

I've always looked at the ease of post purchase support when choosing gear, so I get your quandry

Hard to say what's the right thing to do. I guess you need to weigh up costs over the coming years vs swapping brands. Can you mail them for service?

I would love to learn how to service my own (especially from a "repair in the wilds" point of view) but, as I am only using one set, I reckon the skills/knowledge drop off between services would be too much to make it make sense.

Possibly yes, but if you're even more than just curious, why not? It's very gratifying servicing them yourself and certainly gives you a lot more insight into the what, why, and how of your set. My first suggestion is to get yourself an IP gauge - even if you don't plan on servicing them yourself. You'll know via the readings when you need to start looking into either adjusting or servicing your gear. MK17 is a very easily serviced 1st stage as are the 2nds. You'll need a multi-tool, pin spanner, and a bench vise along with the IP gauge. I linked to some of what I keep in my save-a-dive kit. Scubapro makes a very nice multi tool that includes the special SP spline nut along with a fixed pin spanner that would be good for your case. An ultrasonic cleaner is a nice have, but if your chrome is good, likely it will clean up with just a nylon or brass bristle brush. Being able to diagnose and repair a stage "in the wilds" is a great skill - I've saved a handful of my own and if it's for someone else, you're golden and can drink for free
:cheers:

You could always ditch that scubapro gear and get something better, which IMO is anything other than scubapro.

The differences in WOB for any to the top manufactures offerings is minimal and I really doubt most people could tell the difference on a well tuned set. Yes, they do breathe a little different but in the end you want reliability and a way to get them serviced, either via a shop or yourself. I'm a Zeagle fanboy myself (not really sure why but it just kind of happened that most all my gear has a Zeagle moniker on it) but ScubaPro has a very big market share. It seems to be everywhere. Both my wife's MK20/G250 & MK17/S600 regs breathe beautifully - just a tad bit easier then my Tech50Ds and FH-7s with ZX 2nds. Not really enough difference to ditch the 3 1/2 Zeagle branded sets I have and look elsewhere because I know them and can diagnose & service them when needed. Same goes for her sets. The only dislike of the SP is servicing the piston reg - it takes a bit more time and specialty tooling and seems a little more finicky. The need for specialty SP tools was a one time purchase but, is one more thing that needs to go in the kit. I do know that 90% of the time though I can find parts anywhere I go. Can't say that for the Zeagles - If I don't tote it along, I won't have likely have one available. This is why i also carry a spare 1st & 2nd stage.

Anyways, back to the OP's post - SP brand is everywhere and there will likely be parts and technicians that can service it. Goes for quite a few brands. That to me is the biggest consideration. If the chrome is good on your set and you don't abuse it, it will likely last a lifetime with regular maintenance (again goes for most all brands).

You are right. The cost and effort to learn to do the job well is not insignificant. And for just one set it really isn’t economical and to the previously listed tools I would also add a book or two. Getting service kits can also be a challenge. The only reason for you to diy at the point is if you just really want to. And retaining your skills between services is also a real concern.

But even if you elect to change regs I still agree with the IP gauge purchase and with your diy interest start looking for a copy of...

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

and

Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

Neil, go with the Apeks if you want to easily get them serviced locally. I have AL/Apeks for all my regs. Can’t go wrong.

I'm a massive fan of Apeks first stages with SP G250 seconds, a great combination of great breathing, reliability and super simple to self service. Minimal tools required, parts easy to get, both can easily be serviced on the back of a boat. I didn't get into DIY to save money but to become self sufficient and to have something to do on the days I can't dive. I have a few reg sets left but my favorite is my FSR/G250 set, to look at, my US4/Conshelf set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom