Long report for a short trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For years I've compared the price of flights to CUN for the bag drag and the price of flights to CZM. Now, I fly out of a Norfolk, VA (ORF) which is a smaller airport so there is always a layover in Miami, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston for me depending on what carrier I'm flying. For me the airlines seem to know just how to price their fares to CUN vs. CZM... They seem to price them just where the CUN PITA factor makes it worth paying the extra $ to fly in and out of CZM. For those who live in hub cities, do you ever have it good.

Dear Deepsea,

I'm not so sure of that. Having Texas residence for 28 years I have frequently found that it is much cheaper to fly from San Antonio or Austin, thru Houston to Cozumel, rather than directly from Houston. Seems crazy but true, but I have not checked for a few years. Frequently it would have made sense to drive from Houston to either.

I think Dandy Don has seen some of this from Lubbock.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS I am mostly in Cozumel but my ex and kids live in Texas where I frequently am.

I think Dandy Don has seen some of this from Lubbock.
At times. With the B-737 Max problems meaning fewer planes to fly, my current view from Lubbock or Amarillo is $537 so I am still waiting to book my annual birthday trip. I won't book overnight itineraries so most DFW/DAL trips in August are pricing over $700. Interjet has some cheaper trips if I wanted to be adventurous with them, but I hate the idea of driving 300 miles to the airport, then again 300 mile home.

Dear Deepsea,

I'm not so sure of that. Having Texas residence for 28 years I have frequently found that it is much cheaper to fly from San Antonio or Austin, thru Houston to Cozumel, rather than directly from Houston. Seems crazy but true, but I have not checked for a few years.
It was years ago for me as well, but the last time I checked driving to Houston to go to Cozumel rather than flying through Houston from Austin, the fare was $75 more direct from Houston even though the HOU-CZM leg was on the same plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom