Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do it the official DIR way with my doubles since the hose won't trap under my shorter can light when it is coming from behind the longer wing. There are trade offs.

I route mine between the tank and the wing. I do this because in my Decompression Procedures class I was told that is the best way to route it. My teacher did elaborate on why it should be placed between the wing and the tank, but frankly I do not recall his stated reasons. After it goes down my right side as I have described above I run it under the end of my cannister light on my right hip, then up across my chest and over the top of my left shoulder, behind my neck and over my right shoulder, then into my mouth. If I remove it but do not donate it to another diver (breathing from a deco bottle) I should clip it to my right shoulder D ring or possibly the bungee for my necklaced backup. I prefer the D ring over the necklace.

If I have deco or stage bottles rigged I need to make certain that the long hose is routed to the outside of all valves, regulators, and hoses. This means that if I do need to donate the long hose it will fall away freely and not become entangled with any part of the rest of my gear, I will probably need to manually free it from the lower end of my cannister light, but in most circumstances the regulator will already be in my buddys mouth.

I have personally discovered that by routing it between the tank and the wing it tends to stay there a little better, but I have also noteced that it puts less strain on the hose where it comes out of the first stage, pretty much straight down, rather than needing to come up and over the top of the wing before making the hard turn down my side.

I hope this helps,

Mark Vlahos

saying:
Having known there were going to be points both ways, perhaps I should have made this a poll. I was just sort of interested in hearing the different arguments, not necessarily the "right" way and the "wrong" way.

I have been routing it the way nova suggests just because it sort of seemed right to me (though I couldn't have really told you why... just did). I was just wondering what the alternative reasoning was.

Sheesh.
My apology for being a little hard on the other posters, I feel that what they were telling people was potentially dangerous. not just to you , but to people around the world that read SB and try to learn instead of taking a class were this subject is gone over in detail.

Uncle Pug:
I don't do it the official DIR way with my doubles since the hose won't trap under my shorter can light when it is coming from behind the longer wing. There are trade offs.
I see a possible crack in the dam of knowledge UP. If the dam bursts, I'm blaming it on you LOL

I dive with a Pioneer and single tank. My long hose protrudes laterally from my first stage, not straight down as with doubles. Having the hose bend straight down and somehow fit between my wing and tank is simply not going to happen. Additionally, my wing extends farther down my body than my canister light, so the hose would either pull part of the wing awkwardly down or come up to the canister from partway down my thigh. My long hose comes down my back, between myself and the wing, under the canister, and up my chest. I can see how it would be different with doubles.

jonnythan:
I dive with a Pioneer and single tank. My long hose protrudes laterally from my first stage, not straight down as with doubles. Having the hose bend straight down and somehow fit between my wing and tank is simply not going to happen. Additionally, my wing extends farther down my body than my canister light, so the hose would either pull part of the wing awkwardly down or come up to the canister from partway down my thigh. My long hose comes down my back, between myself and the wing, under the canister, and up my chest. I can see how it would be different with doubles.

Or with a reg that has a straight-down or mostly-down LP port.

That's one of the problems with yoke first stages. It won't allow routing in a streamlined way because of the LP ports go around the whole first stage. instead of being grouped to allow all hoses to route down

Hey jonnythan I'm thinking about changeing my name from novadiver to ICEHOLE that way you won't have to use all the *** when you PM me. thanks for the Idea

novadiver:
That's one of the problems with yoke first stages. It won't allow routing in a streamlined way because of the LP ports go around the whole first stage. instead of being grouped to allow all hoses to route down
The first stage would be oriented in exactly the same way if it were DIN.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom