Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if that was just an old photo out of a stock library?

Johnny Richards:
Very old-style and not efficient when attempting to reconfigure after deployment. I thought this practice was long since dead and buried- the best place for it.

Johnny
www.cavediving.com
Come on now Johnny, you know Lloyd still stuffs his long hose, breathes his short and still teaches Intro that way too. Gotta admit, he can deploy it pretty damn fast.

Mr Ash, sorry I've been away.
DIR has the inflator lp hose on the right post (drysuit inflator on the Lpost)
Bill has his on the left, no drysuit.
DIR pretty much goes with a drysuit in the caves, Bill doesn't.
Certainly there are similarities but they are'nt the same IMO.
BTW when I went through my cave training wrapping the long hose across the manifold, or bungeed(sp) was a way to do it, I can't remember when breathing the long hose became "mainstream".
I used to breathe the short hose and bungeed the Alt to the side of the tank and then used surgical tubing to hold the 2nd stage on the front of my shoulder.
Now I can relate a story that actually happend to me.
I had just finished a dive,I can't remember where, and an instructor had a student and they were just beginning his training in the cavern area. The instructor(a friend of mine) asked if I would be a donor for an OOA drill. The student had to remove mask and swim a distance, find my alt and start breathing from it. My back being turned toward the OOA diver. Well I was sitting there blowing bubbles waiting patiently when all of the sudden my primary reg was being ripped from my mouth. I turned to see the OOA diver, bugeyed, cramming my reg into his piehole, as fast as he could without so much as a by your leave for me. Well I immedialty bolted for the surface and banged my head on the ceiling of the cave and about knocked my self out ..................naaahh just kidding, what I really did was pull my alt off my shoulder and started beathing it while I looked down to try to find some of my teeth that I was sure was ripped out of my mouth when the reg was pulled out. So if anyone wants to debate the "theory" of which reg the OOA diver is going for, I have my own opinion. The "student" spent the rest of the day "practicing". He did apologize and for that I was apreciative.
Also another tidbit of advice, if you dive with a "moldable" mouthpiece, don't bite too deep when you mold it. When an OOA diver rips your reg out of your mouth it wants to take your teeth with it.

Michael Schlink:
Mr Ash, sorry I've been away.
DIR has the inflator lp hose on the right post (drysuit inflator on the Lpost)
Bill has his on the left, no drysuit.
DIR pretty much goes with a drysuit in the caves, Bill doesn't.
Certainly there are similarities but they are'nt the same IMO.
See, thats where the disconnect is.

When people talk about Hogarthian Diving, its encompasses more than just how Bill Main dives.

Basically, you are both using different definitions of the term.

Jeff I guess I agree with you, my point made was in responce to the comment that Dir is Hog but Hog isn't DIR. I don't think that's the case. There are several things that seperate DIR from Hogarthian and I don't see them as the same. Although they both come from the same roots the grew to different sides of the tree.

I'll admit, I haven't thoroughly researched Hog, but my understanding of it based on what I have read and learned about it is the simplicity. Take only what you need. Main didn't came up with a concept. I've never viewed Hog as a DIR type of philosphy in which gear has to be configured a certain way. I view it as a KISS philosophy. That's why I view DIR as being a type of Hog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom