• Long LP hose on your 2nd Stage

Votes: 131 86.8%
  • Long LP hose on your Octo

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Long LP hose on...BOTH

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyrell once bubbled...
i don’t like to dive with the long hose because if there is a situation that someone is in stress i have to take out the reg from my mouth and give it to him. If everything is well then he takes the reg and i take my reg and we both r ok.

But, if if the diver is in stress and i have to calm him down while giving him my reg(with the long hose) and during this action i have to control the diver ,i don’t want to look for my reg, even if its hanging on my neck.
The fact that you've considered that you might be dealing with a panicked, hysteric diver is good. The fact that you continue to cling to the conception that such a diver will go for ANYTHING other than the most obvious working regulator -- the one in your mouth -- is disappointing. In addition, the fact that anyone beyond the second pool session in OW class would fear removing a regulator from their mouth is a sad commentary on the state of training today.

But I'm simply rehashing old information. See: http://www.scubaboard.com/t10022/s.html for a very long, detaild discussion on this very subject. This is probably the best post where we hashed this topic out quite extensively.

Roak

Are you always positive your secondary is in good working order when you hand it off?

Yes i am positive; the regs r checked all the time. u can ask the same question about the reg that is on youre neck.

Regarding where u put the second reg. As long as u can reach it in reasonable time or your buddy can reach it in reasonable time and it is in a clear place, its ok.

In addition, the fact that anyone beyond the second pool session in OW class would fear removing a regulator from their mouth is a sad commentary on the state of training today.

There is nothing to do with training, what im trying to say is if u have a factor of a stressed divers give all!! the attention to the stressed diver . If during this situation u have 2 add another factor of looking 4 you’re reg, no matter how minor attention u put into this act, and no matter how close it is 2 u , u still have to use one hand to grab the reg. That means that u have 2 stop holding the diver with that hand. When u grab a stressed diver with youre both hands and legs, leaving one hand, even its for a second, don’t think its worth this regulator switch.

To use the long hose or the regular during the dive is a matter of approach. There is no right or wrong in the way u configure you’re equipment. As long as it is safe and u know how 2 use it.

regards
mark

tyrell once bubbled...
To my opinion, and this is the way i dive, the long hose has to b on the octopus.
How easy is it for you to restow after the start-of-dive S-drill?

How do you stow it?

Roak

tyrell once bubbled...

Yes i am positive; the regs r checked all the time. u can ask the same question about the reg that is on youre neck.

True, but the fundamental difference between the two is that, if you go to a backup which is fouled, malfunctioning or breathing wet, as the donor you are in a much better frame of mind to deal with that problem than your buddy who is out of gas, and may already be close to panic.

Regarding where u put the second reg. As long as u can reach it in reasonable time or your buddy can reach it in reasonable time and it is in a clear place, its ok.

Not only reasonable time, but effectively instantaneously, and I can have that reg in hand ready to donate at the slightest provocation (preemptive), and can put it back and breathe it again when the potential problem is gone. I can do this many times during a dive, and in fact, on the fly while swimming or scootering.

...and no matter how close it is 2 u , u still have to use one hand to grab the reg. That means that u have 2 stop holding the diver with that hand. When u grab a stressed diver with youre both hands and legs, leaving one hand, even its for a second, don’t think its worth this regulator switch.

With your legs? WTF?

Actually, a properly configured necklaced backup is at the correct distance, in a mouthpiece up orientation to enable you to grab the second stage hands-free, with just your mouth.

-Sean

Everytime I have had a discussion with someone who uses a stuffed longhose and asked them about OOA drills, time and time again the blank look/I don't "usually" do that answer comes...reality...few stuffed longhose divers practice their OOA drills on a regular basis because stowing is such a PITA.

Also...most OW divers never do any form of OOA drill the closest is in their cert course (while kneeling on the bottom in superslowmotion) or their rescue course (where they are taught how to "protect their primaries" from the panicked OOA diver while holding out the octopus as a shield.

It takes a minute to do an S-Drill and restow...practice ever dive and when the time comes...muscle memory takes over. No panic regardless if the reg is ripped out or not...train so you don't have to think about it anymore.

bwerb once bubbled...
Everytime I have had a discussion with someone who uses a stuffed longhose and asked them about OOA drills, time and time again the blank look/I don't "usually" do that answer comes...reality...few stuffed longhose divers practice their OOA drills on a regular basis because stowing is such a PITA.

Well...they may also just feel comfortable with the drill....

My son and I dove Monterey for the first time together (he's a new OW) and we practiced, but with him as donee, and with me as donee....He and I use slightly different equipment, but both of us can donate and receive at any time....

I agree that regular practice (takes five min...) is the key...no matter what your configuration is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom