Long Hose on a Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I agree with the long hose theory and donating a known good regulator .... however I like my Maximus. This is designed to have the hose run under your arm. I was trying to think of a long hose routing that would work in both worlds.
Any takers?

If you are diving a single tank, open water configuration, you can put a 5' hose on your Sherwood (or 6' depending on what your needs are) and continue route it under your arm. With the longer hose, you would then run it across your chest, behind your neck and then around and into your mouth. You could even use a 7' hose and run it under a canister light or similar item, or tuck the extra under your harness waist band or weight belt.

Of course, the same school of thought that brought you the idea of the long hose would eschew the swivel connection at the end of your current hose as an unnecessary failure point. I would guess that adding a properly routed long hose would eliminate the need for the swivel anyway.

I would just swith to a different second stage ( if you want a long hose), A second stage doesn't cost that much and you could use the maximus for a spare or a deco bottle of something like that.

I do not mean to scow at anyone that reponds to a question I ask.....but.
I was asking if anyone had any Ideas about hose routing and I was being sucked (kicking and screaming) into the world of DIR.
I believe the same train of thought that calls that extra swivel a death trap also considers hose stuffing a cardnal sin.
You may be right....but it is not right for me at this time.

Hey... If you can't save the diver.....salvage the equipment.

Dectek once bubbled...
I agree with the long hose theory and donating a known good regulator .... however I like my Maximus. This is designed to have the hose run under your arm. I was trying to think of a long hose routing that would work in both worlds.
Any takers?

As an aside, do you find your maximus hose to be a little constricting when you raise your head to look up? I have that problem and it causes the reg to come out of position ==> jaw fatigue. Any tips? I could lengthen the hose but that'd probably result in jaw fatigue too.

What setup are you running?
I use The Dacor Rig with a BP and make sure that the primary port on the first stage points to 4 or5 o'clock to put the hose at the best angle. No need to make it go up before looping down under the arm. I must admit that I don't look straight up as much as others do. I have a mustache and my mask leaks when I position the mask len parrallel with the surface. Usually I raise my hand to my mask to apply a little pressure. This may create the extra length in the hose...so it does not pull on the second stage.:snorkel:

Hey Dectek,

I use a poseidon techlift, and my hose is positioned much the same way as yours. I guess it may come down to the fact that usually my arms are held against my torso. This may interfere with the movement of the hose. I think my next reg will have to be an over the shoulder jobbie... no more tug of war. Ta for the input.

if you dive in places with strong current i think the un der the arm maximus is ultimately better than over the shoulder rig. strong currents can and will make hose vibrate when over the shoulder. but i agree maximus can sometimes draw your jaw down when looking up, which causes diver to make adjustments during dive. port placement for hp hose makes it a little better. i still swear by unbalanced maximus reg for all types of diving, bulletproof, and perfect breather for me, with no freeflowing tendancies especially when inverted, not to mention design of baffle which diverrts bubbles . its the little things that it a great reg

I do not mean to scow at anyone that reponds to a question I ask.....but.
I was asking if anyone had any Ideas about hose routing and I was being sucked (kicking and screaming) into the world of DIR.
I believe the same train of thought that calls that extra swivel a death trap also considers hose stuffing a cardnal sin.
You may be right....but it is not right for me at this time.

Hey... If you can't save the diver.....salvage the equipment.

My understanding from the DIR book is that a long hose is only necessary when diving in an overhead environment. The main purpose of having a long hose is so divers can exit restrictions single file. If you are diving in open water then a long hose is technically not necessary, although the book recommends divers uses their usual configuration for all dives. I am sure the philosophy is more deeply explained during the training.

Also I do not believe a Maximus has an extra swivel. The reg was designed with an integrated 90 degree elbow so I don't think it adds an extra failure points due to the use of an additional o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom