Long Hair and A Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peach

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am looking into purchasing a dry suit, but I have a really huge problem with getting out of the neck seal without ripping out half of my hair!
Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

I use a knee high stocking. I put it on like a cap and tuck all my hair into it, the neck seal slides right over it. Then I put the stocking in my undergarment pocket so it is handy when I am ready to take the suit off.

I get some funny comments about robbing banks sometimes but I can live with that. It's cheap and it works.

Joan

When I first started to dive dry (1/4" neoprene with neoprene seals) I had hair that was just a a little past shoulder length. And yes, getting in/out of the neck seal was a!@#$%!@!

I found a sort of lycra "stocking cap" that I could put on that made doing this easier. However, I have to admit that eventually I just learned to stretch the neck out a bit more when donning or doffing the suit, and thus didn't get so tangled up in it.

Given that there are now more lycra "dive rags" available, I don't think it would be as difficult to find that sort of thing these days.

Of course 2 years later I cut my hair & have been wearing it short ever since...

Yeah, I know.. don't go there.. :eek:ut:

~SubMariner~

P.S.: my current drysuit is a DUI 350TLS with neoprene neck & wrist seals.

..go with the Sinead O'Connor look...

I don't want to shave my head! I would love to hear other suggestions!!

Hi peach,
Welcome to the boards!!
Take a pair of pantyhose, cut off one leg, tie a knot just above the knee, now put this over your head, tuck your hair up in it as best you can, you'll look like your ready to rob someplace but your drysuit neck seal will slip right over your head, now take off the pantyhose leg, and put it away for next time.

we got this suggestion from Dick Long president of DUI, it works great.

I also have long hair & dive a drysuit. I had never heard of the pantyhose/bank-robber solution before, but it sounds like it's worth a try.

So far what I have been doing is using a cloth-covered ponytail rubber band, LOOSELY wound, then braiding my hair and putting another, tightly wound rubber-band at the bottom of the braid. As my head goes through the seal, the seal catches the "scunci" aka "scrunchy" ponytail holder, and slides it down the braid slightly as my head goes through, relieving most of the pull on my hair. Once my head is through the seal, I just move the scrunchy back up towards my head. I have found that the best placement for the top end of the ponytail/braid is low down, around the base of the skull.

Hope this helps!

but a couple of my buddies have long hair. Both of them (one man, one woman) braid theirs into a ponytail thing and seem to have no problems.

Tom

peach once bubbled...
Hi Everyone! I am looking into purchasing a dry suit, but I have a really huge problem with getting out of the neck seal without ripping out half of my hair!
Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

When I bought my dry suit I cut my hair. Now that it is long again, I have found that the lycra swim caps works wonders. If my hair is braided or in a pony tail, the swim cap works great. I also use it under my dry hood to help keep all those stray hairs out of the way. You can find the swim caps at any sporting goods store for under $8.00. I also dive a DUI 350TLS.

A couple of my female diving buddies have long hair (middle of their backs).
The common practice amonst them seems to be to have an unattached hood. They braid thier hair into 2 or 3 pig tails down the back because they lie lower. They stick the braids through the neck seal first then pull it over their head.
They have a hood with zippered panel down the back for easy donning over the braids.

Hope this helps.

Mike D

:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom