long fins!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duskdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anybody use long fins? the type that freedivers use.
I freedive aswell, and feel very unconfortable using the regular fins.
I think they give you more stability, and more thrust...the only disadvantage I can see, is that they are no fun on the land.
Greets,

duskdiver:
Does anybody use long fins? the type that freedivers use.

On any warm water recreational dive, you betcha I wear them.

SporaSubs. Go long or go home. Just watch your kicks for coral contact.

Chicks dig 'em, too.

Ha ha – are you making up for shortcomings in other areas???

I'll have to get you out of your long-fin obsessions when I finally drag your *** over to Egypt to dive the Red Sea. Flipping out of a RIB with long fins on is a pain – especially for the person sat opposite you who you've just smacked in the face!

You will see the light...

Mark

My wife dives with the long fins - her pair is 20 years old now. She won't use anything else. Since we only dive from boats, reef entries are not an issue. I tired them once while I was doing Japanese intro dives in Hawaii - I could go so fast that if I turned my head sideways, my mask came off. They were great for rounding up escaping intros but too much of a hassle otherwise in the shallows.

I really like my Cressi longfins for spearfishing. They give the quick acceleration sometimes needed to get into position for a shot. But, I use them only for spearfishing. In my opinion, they are not a good choice for most resort scuba divers. They are unwiedy on a dive boat, require extra caution when close to a coral reef, and are a real pita to pack for travel.

Cressi Gara 3000's = Love them.

On the liveaboard I used to work on over half the crew had long fins for hooking up the boat in strong currents. When professionals that can use anything choose them that is a strong endorsement.

"Walkability" is an absurd criteria for evaluating any fin. Anyone who walks more than two steps with fins is looking for trouble -- you are just making life hard on yourself. (As the saying goes - life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid). Unless you're on one of those wacky boats that forces you to shuffle around with your fins on -- Walk your happy fin-less butt to the swim platform, hold the rail, slip them on (the way you were taught which is by bringing the opposite foot to your knee) and step off. In a small boat it would be even easier. Gear up - get your butt on the gunwale - slip them on and roll off. Shore diving? - walk out to chest deep water with your fins in your hands, time your wave set, during a lull lean back on your inflated BC and slip them on, continue your swim out or drop down.

Now I know what some of you are thinking - he keeps saying "just slip them on" it's not that easy... I struggle all the time with my fins... I have to sit down to put them on.. I can't do it with all that gear on...I'll kill myself trying that on a moving boat...It takes too long...yadda, yadda, yadda... Well then, sounds like you have something to practice in the off season while dreaming of that tropical diving destination. Gear up and practice putting your fins on while standing with your full kit on, for added realism try it while standing on your kid's trampoline or have an assistant slap you around a bit from behind to simulate the motion of the ocean.

Gearing up smoothly and efficiently is a skill you learn and improve over time through diving just like buoyancy control and air consumption. Few things will single you out as a novice quicker than struggling with your gear. Practice makes perfect.

BTW - I still have not lost a single "Fin Challenge" - I have never been beaten U/W wearing long fins.

Bring it - don't sing. :D

Standing by in S. Florida.

MarkUK:
Ha ha – are you making up for shortcomings in other areas???

Yeah, well, maybe- 225# of dynamite with a 1" fuse, but don't tell anyone :05: (I did get the "Big Johnson" Fins T-Shirt... too much!)

I'll have to get you out of your long-fin obsessions when I finally drag your *** over to Egypt to dive the Red Sea. Flipping out of a RIB with long fins on is a pain – especially for the person sat opposite you who you've just smacked in the face!

Oh, the guy who didn't go on "three"? (He was waiting for "go" with Mel Gibson?)

You will see the light...

Well, he saw stars, anyway!

Ha ha... You are soooo right... But then, there is always that one person who goes too early, or goes too late. I'll stick with me stumpy Force Fins for RIB diving, methinks...

Don't remember you having long fins when we met up in Tobago? Were you using them then, or is it something you've started since then?

By the way, and totally off-topic, still cart around the little magnifying glass you gave Penn and I. I must have got half a dozen other people equipped with 'em now!

Mark

Mark- good to hear from you!

I think I had some oddball Zeagle long fins that had even more hardware hanging off of the trailing end. Hope the stitches didn't leave a scar. :wink:

Tobago was a wonderment, especially the land based way we did it. I pity the souls who only do the liveaboard thing or dive from the Southern end. There is so much to see from Speyside.

Magnifying glasses? I'm glad that these are working out for you- I get a lot of questions about them and always remind folks that they are to be in glass[u/] and "single element". Magnifiers are the way to enjoy the macro life that most folks miss. There are amazing critters living at the bases of Anemone... underneath the easy-to-spot Shrimp! Found a lot of hidden critters in the Philippines, as well!

Or was this magnifier comment a reference to your first mention of "my shortcomings in other areas"? :337:

Back
Top Bottom