Logging dives -- need a new recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downloaded Subsurface. Will see how it goes! Thanks for all the replies! Nice to see that some people just use composition books too.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 04:26 PM ----------

I downloaded DM5 as well. I've got the files downloaded from my Vyper Air and showing up in DM5. I want to import those files into Subsurface. Do you know where the files are stored on your computer? Which folder? I've searched *.sde for my entire C: drive, but I come up with nothing. I have absolutely no idea where to find the files. I feel like a caveman seeing a computer for the first time thanks to Windows 8.1 & DM5's lack of ... transparency(?). Very, very frustrating.

Your best bet is to go into DM5 and select export and then manually choose where you would like your file exported to, i.e.... desktop. Then when you select import in Subsurface you will be able to more easily find your file..

had an old paper log book from years ago that I finally finished filling (I had a couple of them). I switched to a regular lined journal. I include just what I value about the dives and have unlimited space for notations and drawings. I was given it in goody bag of a conference and it is really nicely bound. I love that it has classic leather (pleather?) cover. Less of chore to fill out because I am not checking off boxes or leaving blank things I don't care about. It won't crash, or get lost when I upgrade my computer and lose the password. I can flip the pages and take it with me. It won't get hacked or spread viruses. And when I am old I can give it to my grand kids.

DiveLog for iOS. Great app with awesome support. Runs on both iPad and iPhone with one purchase. Syncs data between your devices via iCloud. There is also an Android version. I use the DCBuddy bluetooth device to transfer the data from wife's dive computer to her log, and from my dive computer to my log. The DCBuddy supports a lot of different dive computers.

From what I understand it also interfaces to Diving Log 5 (Windows), and a MacDive (mac) PC software from the same developer, which I have not yet tried. But I always have my iPhone and/or iPad on me, so the iOS version is perfect for me.

Last edited:
Another very happy Subsurface user here. Works with just about any dive computer, and also imports logs from and exports to many formats. The developers are responsive, and welcome new testers, of which I am one, and an occasional contributor. The finishing touches are being put on the next release, which will include cloud storage, improved printing of logs, easier Bluetooth connectivity, and improvements to the dive planner (including adding VPM-B algorithm to the current Buhlmann with gradient factors). An Android app is coming too, and will make use of the cloud storage.

I also keep a small paper spiral-bound log. I prefer it over "standard" log books because it allows me to write as much (nothing wrong with using multiple pages for one dive) or as little as I like. It also gives you space to sketch something interesting. Whether you get signature from your buddy/divemaster/instructor is up to you.

Resurrecting an old thread but I am having a similar issue. Right now I keep paper logs (I use Dive-Logs for my sheets and love them) and am scanning them to PDF so I have both physical and digital storage. I also use Mac Dive and I absolutely love it! The problem is, I'm using Linux on the desktop way more now and so it's becoming cumbersome to switch back and forth. Though it's not Mac Dive's fault as much, the extreme vendor lock-in with Apple products is a real concern given how long I want to keep this data around for. For the same reasons, online dive logs aren't my thing because I want to own, and be responsible for, my own dive logs.

On the Linux/multiplatform side of things, "Dive Log Book" isn't bad though is not being maintained it would appear. I couldn't get behind Subsurface. I currently own a Veo 1.0 and cannot dump my dives off of it and find Subsurface doesn't quite have enough options compared to Mac Dive. It's open source of course so I could see about adding to it, but I dunno if I could handle Linus Torvalds' angry comments if I wrote poor quality code :) The big thing I like about Mac Dive is keeping track of which equipment was used on what dives.

Mac Dive has poor export options though and Apple has me really concerned with vendor lock-in these days (partly why I started using Linux on the Desktop again). If I'm going to bother with keeping logs, I want them to be around for a long time to come. Probably why I will always use paper and scan them in, but Mac Dive does add a lot of nice features that is hard to do on paper (like equipment tracking, computer profiles) which is why I use paper and digital at the same time.

I had thought about learning Electron, which lets you write desktop style applications using web languages (in a nutshell) and working on my own but that's of course a larger project.

Paper, written on the way in on the boat. How crappy my handwriting is, indicates the sea state ;-)

Paper lets you get a buddy or DM signature, the boat's stamp, and not care too much about format. I like to record who the captain and DMs were for next time, same with weight and tank type. And maybe draw pix or mini maps. Or staple someone's card to the page.

Old school...

I have an order in right now at Office Depot for a refill of the custom logbook pages I mentioned in an earlier post.

I guess if one is of the e-reader generation, then the paper logbook might seem silly. For me, filling out my paper logbook is a ritual I look forward to, the same way reading a paperback at the beach on a summer vacation is a ritual. There may be technically "better" options, but they just don't feel right to me.

Looking in my logbook the other day, I found an entry for a dive at the cenote in Tulum known as Calavera, which means skull in Spanish. I had drawn a 3-D sketch, showing the hole in the ground that is the "mouth" of the skull, the ladder therein that is used for the exit (which I labeled "Exit"), an arrow curving down into the hole that I labeled "Entry" to indicate that one just jumps in, and the two small holes nearby that form the "eyes" of the skull. Sure, one could video that, add subtitles, and embed it in an electronic log, etc., but that's a bit of work. I like looking at my artwork and remembering the day I drew it, probably on a patio outside my hotel room with a margarita in hand. If a page has a margarita stain, that's even better.

Looking in my logbook the other day, I found an entry for a dive at the cenote in Tulum known as Calavera, which means skull in Spanish. I had drawn a 3-D sketch, showing the hole in the ground that is the "mouth" of the skull, the ladder therein that is used for the exit (which I labeled "Exit"), an arrow curving down into the hole that I labeled "Entry" to indicate that one just jumps in, and the two small holes nearby that form the "eyes" of the skull. Sure, one could video that, add subtitles, and embed it in an electronic log, etc., but that's a bit of work. I like looking at my artwork and remembering the day I drew it, probably on a patio outside my hotel room with a margarita in hand. If a page has a margarita stain, that's even better.

That is actually doable on the current generation of tabtops (or is it laplets) -- the ones with wacom pen, like surface. Draw your sketch in e.g. gimp, save, attach as a "dive photo" in subsurface. There's probably an app for margarita stain too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom