Lodging near Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck. I guess you could try to find another group of 2 to split it with.

We were hoping to find something a little more affordable for just 2 divers.

Google Rustic Inn in High Springs. Only 5 or 6 rooms, rural setting on 8 acres, very pleasant, coffee, breakfast, cokes, cereal, fruit, etc provided with each room. Nicely decorated, very clean, scuba storage out back, $98 per night. Also be sure to eat at Great Outdoors.

By the way, on the other thread about wireless computers, my Suuntos were failing to link on the surface. Tried everything and finally gave up.

Google Rustic Inn in High Springs. Only 5 or 6 rooms, rural setting on 8 acres, very pleasant, coffee, breakfast, cokes, cereal, fruit, etc provided with each room. Nicely decorated, very clean, scuba storage out back, $98 per night. Also be sure to eat at Great Outdoors.

By the way, on the other thread about wireless computers, my Suuntos were failing to link on the surface. Tried everything and finally gave up.

Thanks..I'll look that one up. BTW, sometimes I would need to re-pair the Suunto to the transmitter, but they always paired. I haven't used the transmitter in the last 4 months though, and have only been using the Viper in gauge mode. I wonder if the battery in your transmitter could be low?

Thanks..I'll look that one up. BTW, sometimes I would need to re-pair the Suunto to the transmitter, but they always paired. I haven't used the transmitter in the last 4 months though, and have only been using the Viper in gauge mode. I wonder if the battery in your transmitter could be low?

Changed batteries numerous times, also returned to factory for inspection. I am certain that operator error is not a factor. A little off topic here. Have a nice trip.

Carrie, when my buddy and I did our Cave 2 class, we stayed at Richard Dreher's HydroLodge. It's a nice, 2 bdrm house right in High Springs. It's $75 a night for two people (not each, but total) so it's quite affordable, and much nicer than the motels. He has a lockable storage unit to hang dive gear in (although we just left it outside) and it has a bus bar for charging stuff, too. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a washer/dryer. There is a laundromat out by the Winn Dixie, but it keeps distressingly short hours and is not open on Sunday at all, IIRC.

I was unable to find lodging with a washer dryer that was affordable. The Alachua Days Inn has coin-operated machines, but it's a pretty dreary place.

can't go wrong with the high springs country inn...

+1 on High Springs Country Inn

You might get lucky like I did when I stayed there:

According to the little plaque on the wall I stayed in the same room Tiger Woods stayed in when he did HIS cave training. (At the time I didn't realize I should have asked for clean sheets - :eyebrow:)

Would we regret camping?

Cave training will provide you with enough challenges, hardships, and discomfort - no need to add the "joys" of camping into the mix!

:D

Seriously, the availability of a long, hot shower and a clean, comfortable bed will take on a whole new level of importance to you after a full day of cave training. Add to that the fact that you'll no doubt have reading, gear tweaks, and other assigments to take care of at night. A decent, well-lit room will be necessary.

Oh, this is for a course? Then BY ALL MEANS stay where there is a dryer, even if that means accepting the Days Inn. When I did my C2, I simply wasn't able to get to the laundromat in time to dry my undergarment (since my seals decided this trip was a great time to get floppy and leak) and it often didn't dry overnight, even under cover and in August. It adds a great deal to the stress of the class, if you are having to do it wet when you didn't plan that :)

I would also HIGHLY recommend that everyone in the class stay together. I think it would have helped us enormously, had we all been in the same place, so that we could discuss and plan the approach to our problems at night.

I would NOT recommend camping. As mentioned, there's enough stress involved in these classes. And the winter weather in Florida can be capricious -- we were there in February a couple of years ago, and the high temperatures were in the LOW TWENTIES! I would not have wanted to be camping (although we were only a small step up from that, with no heat in the cabin but a 4" portable electric heater).

I would also highly recommend a place with a kitchen, if you can find one with a dryer. Being able to get up and make some breakfast is really nice, and saves you time and money. We also packed lunches, since there is no time to break, even for fast food.

Spend the money, if you can possibly do it, to lower your stress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom