Lodging near Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, this is for class. I am going with a buddy and we will be staying together wherever we end up. I'm going to be taking Cavern/Intro to Cave with Mike Ange. My buddy was thinking about camping which might sound OK, but I'm not totally sold on this.

Have you dived the Florida springs before?

You will be working hard, physically, during this class. Not just hauling gear around, although that takes its toll, too, but in the swimming. I had trouble sleeping because my body ached all over. I can't imagine trying to cope with that in a sleeping bag on a foam pad. And unlike during a fun cave diving trip, you don't have the option to take a day off because you didn't sleep well or you don't feel good.

Twist your buddy's arm. Get yourselves comfortable.

Have you dived the Florida springs before?

You will be working hard, physically, during this class. Not just hauling gear around, although that takes its toll, too, but in the swimming. I had trouble sleeping because my body ached all over. I can't imagine trying to cope with that in a sleeping bag on a foam pad. And unlike during a fun cave diving trip, you don't have the option to take a day off because you didn't sleep well or you don't feel good.

Twist your buddy's arm. Get yourselves comfortable.

This will be my first trip and the 3rd for my buddy.

can't go wrong with the high springs country inn or the Cadillac
...in that order :)

You have to be kidding! High Springs Country Inn is a dump built in the 50's 20ft from Hwy 441 (lots of hwy noise) along with mildew galore. In addition, the last and only time I stayed there I had the pleasure or displeasure of being assigned to the room next door to the owner (from India) populated by 4-5 family members with the smells of curry dishes wafting through the porous interior walls. Actually, washing machines, etc. aside the closest proper motel is the Best Western a few exits south (#390) in north Gainesville (10min away). Just my 2psi worth...

Can I chime in quickly? Does anyone also know any dog friendly hotels in the High Springs area.
Thnx

My BF & I stayed at Chateau H20 last thanksgiving. The rate was $100 per night with the 7th night free. We did have a roommate and split the costs 1/3 each. Maybe your instructor could latch you up with someone else in the class. The place is actually a 3 bedroom double wide mobile home with washer/dryer. They have a drying rack we pulled under the cover of the front pergula. The master suite has it's own bathroom. The other two bedrooms are at the other end and share a smaller bathroom. I highly recommend it.

It's also right down the road from Ginnie Springs.

And what TS&M said - you will be exhausted. I fell into bed each night and that was only for my Intro to cave certification. You will really enjoy the hot shower.

Last edited:
My BF & I stayed at Chateau H20 last thanksgiving. The rate was $100 per night with the 7th night free. We did have a roommate and split the costs 1/3 each. Maybe your instructor could latch you up with someone else in the class. The place is actually a 3 bedroom double wide mobile home with washer/dryer. They have a drying rack we pulled under the cover of the front pergula. The master suite has it's own bathroom. The other two bedrooms are at the other end and share a smaller bathroom. I highly recommend it.

It's also right down the road from Ginnie Springs.

And what TS&M said - you will be exhausted. I fell into bed each night and that was only for my Intro to cave certification. You will really enjoy the hot shower.

By the looks and smell of the tattered interior of High Springs Country Inn I am sure they allow dogs. It's extremely likely however that they will leave with fleas. :D

By the looks and smell of the tattered interior of High Springs Country Inn I am sure they allow dogs. It's extremely likely however that they will leave with fleas. :D

Thnx:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

The Best Western looks like the better option

You have to be kidding! High Springs Country Inn is a dump built in the 50's 20ft from Hwy 441 (lots of hwy noise) along with mildew galore. In addition, the last and only time I stayed there I had the pleasure or displeasure of being assigned to the room next door to the owner (from India) populated by 4-5 family members with the smells of curry dishes wafting through the porous interior walls.
I appreciate that this was your experience, and I can't contradict it. But, mine has been different. I have stayed there a number of times. Yes, the rooms are 'mature' but the A/C works and the price is right. I don't notice the noise at all, don't mind the aroma of curry. We frequently sit outside at the tables to eat (and enjoy some adult beverages) at the end of a long day. Now, I only go to the area in the Oct - May time frame so it may be bad in the heat of the summer. But, I CANNOT imagine camping in the area while doing a class, or doing amy serious diving. The trivial expense of a bed and A/C is easily worth it.

I appreciate that this was your experience, and I can't contradict it. But, mine has been different. I have stayed there a number of times. Yes, the rooms are 'mature' but the A/C works and the price is right. I don't notice the noise at all, don't mind the aroma of curry. We frequently sit outside at the tables to eat (and enjoy some adult beverages) at the end of a long day. Now, I only go to the area in the Oct - May time frame so it may be bad in the heat of the summer. But, I CANNOT imagine camping in the area while doing a class, or doing amy serious diving. The trivial expense of a bed and A/C is easily worth it.

I finally decided to retire from the fantastic night life of South Florida along with the consumption of alcohol a year ago so that explains the situation somewhat. In addition, I am admittingly more sensitive to mildew, smells and noise than most others. With regard to camping that has different meanings. My idea of camping would be a rented trailer or motor home of some description. Camping utilizing a tent is crazy go nuts in my book. One has a 90% chance of either being too hot or too cold in North Florida without even considering the posiability of rain. Believe me, if you do not need to schlep much equipment from your vehicle after dives the Best Western is the way to go especially considering it is quite new. Stayed there last weekend as a matter of fact...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom