Local Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveKitten

Reaction score
Now that I'm back home, I'm looking for a good dive shop. I've had bad experiances at both Bill Jackson and TackleShack, so I'm reluctant to dive with them. To be picky, I'd LOVE to find a good PADI shop, because I need to take a refresher course and I have a PADI cert.

For a PADI shop N@rco$i$ speaks very highly of Calypso(sp) divers on Bearss and 275 in Tampa.

There's also Aquatic Obsessions on Central Ave in St.Pete but I don't know if they are PADI or not.

FYI, you can do a refresher with any agency, so if you find a good shop that's not PADI, go for it.

DiveKitten:
Now that I'm back home, I'm looking for a good dive shop. I've had bad experiances at both Bill Jackson and TackleShack, so I'm reluctant to dive with them. To be picky, I'd LOVE to find a good PADI shop, because I need to take a refresher course and I have a PADI cert.

How long have you been gone?

I am BJ's at least once a week and have had nothing but good service (especially now that they know me by name... :14: )

Tackle Shack... Now there's a different breed of diver! But, there are some things I prefer to get from them.

Bill Jacksons is where I go for pretty much everything, Ray services my gear, Billy and Mike do my fills and Chuck was a good friend for a long time. I'm going to miss him a lot.

If you can get past the New York attitude Tackle Shack is.......ok. I have never dove with either place though.

Ray just switched my regs to Din, and I was having some issues with a ScubaPro reg I purchased (used to be class gear at BJs). Ray felt there was something wrong too, so he put in a replacement kit at no cost... just because he didn't like the way it was working (Yes, I know the original owner has warranty privledges, but I am not the original owner)

I once called Tackle Shack attitude "Jersey"... so, we are in the same vacinity...lol

My thing against Tack. Shack is more of a family grudge. My dad has problems getting his Hobie peddel kayak serviced as TS, but they are the only Hobie dealer in town. They've jacked up the kayak 3 times and counting...

My annoyance at BJ's was that had some equipt questions and I feel like they weren't really taking me seriously. Granted, I'm 5'1, look like I'm 17 and was probably wearing purple sneakers at the time... But on the upside, I got a brand new BC from BJ for $90so I much not have been *that* annoyed!

I saw that coming a mile away....................

DiveKitten:
But on the upside, I got a brand new BC from BJ for $90so I much not have been *that* annoyed!

Out of curiosity what are you using for a BC?

Do you use AL 80's or a smaller tank like the S/G steel 80?

Reason for asking is at 5'1" the choices seem to be some what limited for a female and I'm getting info for someone interested in purchasing gear.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom