Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The same stuff has been happening in Toronto, the tow truck wars were getting pretty heated with firebombings and attempted murders. Not so much recently as the police set up task forces before innocents got hurt.

Yeah, when you pay for a trip to El Cielo, you really expect to ride the boat both ways. Wearing a life vest or snorkel vest on a moving boat really is a good idea as well as carrying your phones and cameras in protective floatation devices.

Another boat sank yesterday too, and 2 died.
The captain and a sailor of the boat 'Tauro', which capsized yesterday, were found dead after an exhaustive search carried out by the Secretary of the Navy, and naval and local authorities on the island of Cozumel.

On Sunday afternoon, at 6:00 p.m., the disappearance of the boat that was transporting six people, four tourists and two service providers, on a tourist tour at the northern tip of the island was reported, due to the bad weather generated. by cold front number 16.

In an unfortunate twist, the four travelers managed to abandon the ship before it sank and were found in good condition.

However, the 30-year-old sailor and the 65-year-old captain were trapped on the boat, apparently deciding not to evacuate the vessel.

The authorities, including the Secretariat of the Navy and the Secretariat of Citizen Security, activated search protocols last night.

From an article off Facebook that was forwarded to me:

RECUPERARON LOS CUERPOS SIN VIDA DEL CAPITÁN Y MARINERO AHOGADOS EN COZUMEL.
Este lunes, fueron recuperados los cuerpos sin vida del capitán Ricardo Ortiz de 64 años y del marinero Juan Carlos Álvarez de 63 años, quienes lamentablemente perdieron la vida el pasado domingo, cuando su embarcación se hundió cerca de Punta Molas.
Desde las 10:30 de la mañana, se empezó a notar la movilización en la bahía frente a la isla de la Pasión, hasta donde llegó personal de la Policía Municipal, de la Fiscalía General del Estado (FGE), de Guardavidas, dos elementos de la Capitanía de Puerto, además de familiares y amigos de las dos personas que perdieron la vida.
Las lanchas "Ajonjolí" y "Karen", fueron enviadas hacia la zona de Punta Molas, con Guardavidas de Protección Civil y elementos de la Fiscalía General del Estado (FGE), para que al recuperar los cuerpos sin vida, los trasladaran hasta el muelle de la bahía frente a la isla de la Pasión.
Una vez concluidas las diligencias de las autoridades, los cuerpos fueron subidos a la batea de una camioneta de la Fiscalía General del Estado (FGE), para ser trasladados al Servicio Médico Forense (SEMEFO).
Rafael Tenorio Pizano, director de Protección Civil, Bomberos y Guardavidas, dio a conocer que el domingo viajaban once personas a bordo de la embarcación “Tauro”, y que dos de ellos eran los tripulantes fallecidos, mientras que de los restantes nueve; siete eran de nacionalidad mexicana y que dos de nacionalidad española.
Dijo que los pasajeros entrevistados, le comentaron que al ingresar el “norte” la embarcación estaba por Punta Molas y que la tripulación trató de acercar la lancha a la orilla, pero ya le había entrado mucha agua, y que los nueve pasajeros lograron saltar al mar para nadar hasta ponerse a salvo, aunque lamentablemente el capitán de la lancha y el marinero, perdieron la vida.
Aparentemente alguien que viajaba en la “Tauro”, logró comunicarse de alguna manera con una persona de la localidad, y que se dio parte a las autoridades, para realizar la búsqueda el domingo por la noche pero que las cuestiones del clima lo impidieron y que este lunes por la mañana, concluyó con las nueve personas rescatadas y los dos cuerpos recuperados, estos últimos fueron localizados por un ciudadano que se sumó a las labores de rescate con una moto acuática.

Translation by google:
THEY RECOVERED THE LIFEBODIES OF THE CAPTAIN AND SAILOR DROWNED IN COZUMEL.
This Monday, the lifeless bodies of Captain Ricardo Ortiz, 64, and sailor Juan Carlos Álvarez, 63, were recovered, who unfortunately lost their lives last Sunday, when their boat sank near Punta Molas.
From 10:30 in the morning, the mobilization began to be noticed in the bay in front of the island of La Pasión, where personnel from the Municipal Police, the State Attorney General's Office (FGE), Life Guards, two elements of the Port Captaincy, as well as family and friends of the two people who lost their lives.
The boats "Ajonjolí" and "Karen" were sent to the Punta Molas area, with Civil Protection Lifeguards and elements of the State Attorney General's Office (FGE), so that when the lifeless bodies were recovered, they would be transferred to the dock. of the bay in front of the island of La Pasión.
Once the authorities' procedures were completed, the bodies were loaded onto the bed of a truck belonging to the State Attorney General's Office (FGE), to be transferred to the Forensic Medical Service (SEMEFO).
Rafael Tenorio Pizano, director of Civil Protection, Firefighters and Lifeguards, announced that on Sunday eleven people were traveling aboard the boat “Tauro”, and that two of them were the deceased crew members, while of the remaining nine; seven were of Mexican nationality and two of Spanish nationality.
He said that the passengers interviewed told him that when entering the “north” the boat was near Punta Molas and that the crew tried to bring the boat closer to the shore, but a lot of water had already entered it, and that the nine passengers managed to jump into the boat. sea to swim to safety, although unfortunately the captain of the boat and the sailor lost their lives.
Apparently someone who was traveling in the “Tauro” managed to somehow communicate with a local person, and that the authorities were notified to carry out the search on Sunday night but that weather issues prevented it and that This Monday morning, it concluded with the nine people rescued and the two bodies recovered, the latter were located by a citizen who joined the rescue efforts with a jet ski.

What real sucks about this is that the information on this front was well known and as I understand it the Port Captain had pre announced his intensions to close the port that afternoon / evening. The predictive wind information from satellites has become very good and widely available from both government and commercial sources such as Wind Guru and Windy. There should have been no surprises, but it was a Sunday. Sunday in my opinion is the scariest day in the water safety wise. Way to many snorkel and party boats head out on Sunday and they seem to be loaded in the same fashion as the 'family scooters' in town. Rarely do you hear of incidents with licensed boats carrying divers but this weekends multiple occurrences seemed to involve snorkel and picnic runs. I suspect the Port captain will tighten up the closure standards going forward and it will affect the legitimate dive industry primarily and the pirate fleet and local boaters will continue to ignore the rules and regulations.

What real sucks about this is that the information on this front was well known and as I understand it the Port Captain had pre announced his intensions to close the port that afternoon / evening. The predictive wind information from satellites has become very good and widely available from both government and commercial sources such as Wind Guru and Windy. There should have been no surprises, but it was a Sunday. Sunday in my opinion is the scariest day in the water safety wise. Way to many snorkel and party boats head out on Sunday and they seem to be loaded in the same fashion as the 'family scooters' in town. Rarely do you hear of incidents with licensed boats carrying divers but this weekends multiple occurrences seemed to involve snorkel and picnic runs. I suspect the Port captain will tighten up the closure standards going forward and it will affect the legitimate dive industry primarily and the pirate fleet and local boaters will continue to ignore the rules and regulations.
I agree. This was not a surprise storm...there was lots of warning. When it did hit, it came hard and fast. I suspect you are right about how the port captain will react. 11 passengers on a small boat? Really?

I have zero faith that it will ever change. All the tools are in place to make the boating safe but they are consistently ignored or I suspect paid off.

Why did my boat require 2 tourism nautical permits to operate, one for the south and one for the north - a requirement was marine park permits and the checking of all other boat paperwork. Why did my boat require a safety inspection that covered radios, life jackets, flares etc..... Why was I required a Cert de Maticula that defined maximum capacity?

There is a representative from the captains office walking the docks downtown and at times inside the marinas - it's funny how they will inspect the boats that have all the paperwork but walk past the ones without. The marine paark does the same thing - show me your bracelets while ignoring the boat 50m away with no permits.

A few years ago, a man drowned when a boat with no radio was caught in a storm that was announced way earlier in the day, the owner has other boats and the boat that sank was/is sitting in the jungle stripped of valuable pieces - what was the penalty there, what was the lesson learned - nothing at all!!!

A norte coming in this afternoon and you want to go to Punta Molas.......

Back
Top Bottom