Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe this quarry on the mainland is still part of Cozumel and predates the carving out of the municipality of Solidaridad (Playa del Carmin).

Several questions:
  • What minerals/materials does Mexico have, that we don't have in the US, which are crucial to construction in the US?
  • Vulcan can own property, free and clear, that close to the ocean? I thought in Cozumel - and the rest of the country anything that close to the ocean is 'held in trust' (or something like that). But Vulcan has 'private property'?
  • I wonder what minerals Mexico thinks Vulcan is trying to extract - and if they are?
  • I wonder if Vulcan is going to find their 'private property' nationalized soon.
  • What am I missing?

I believe they have developed and operated this quary for decades, since Playa del Carmen was a few hundred people living near the Cozumel ferry pier.
AMLO is moving closer to the Venezuela/ Chavis model and seizing foreign businesses and nullifying business contracts and projects.

AMLO is moving closer to the Venezuela/ Chavis model and seizing foreign businesses and nullifying business contracts and projects.
That's not good for them or for US tourism (which is not good for them either). Sad.

I believe they have developed and operated this quary for decades, since Playa del Carmen was a few hundred people living near the Cozumel ferry pier.

1987Vulcan and a Mexican partner, Grupo ICA, form the Crescent Market Companies to produce high-quality limestone at a quarry on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico for shipment to various markets primarily along the U.S. Gulf Coast. The joint venture includes a shipping company and a U.S.-based sales distribution company.

The facility is the only deep water terminal in Quintana Roo.

Amlo probably tried to buy materials for the Maya train and Vulcan might have played hardball with prices, forcing them to go to Cuba to purchase ballast stone.

Just speculation

Several questions:
  • What minerals/materials does Mexico have, that we don't have in the US, which are crucial to construction in the US?
  • Vulcan can own property, free and clear, that close to the ocean? I thought in Cozumel - and the rest of the country anything that close to the ocean is 'held in trust' (or something like that). But Vulcan has 'private property'?
  • I wonder what minerals Mexico thinks Vulcan is trying to extract - and if they are?
  • I wonder if Vulcan is going to find their 'private property' nationalized soon.
  • What am I missing?
The restriction on owning property in Mexico adjacent to the shoreline does not apply to companies, only individuals. As a foreigner in Mexico, you could form a Mexican company and then have your company buy the land, as did Vulcan years ago. Vulcan was extracting limestone and shipping it to the US for processing.
I believe this quarry on the mainland is still part of Cozumel and predates the carving out of the municipality of Solidaridad (Playa del Carmin).

That is correct. Most of the quarry (not all of it) and the port are on Cozumel's mainland enclave of Rancho Ina. Cozumel still has two mainland enclaves. One is made up of two parcels, the Rancho Ina (aka Punta Venado) and the La Rosita quarry (for a total of 2,802.716 acres), The other enclave is Xelha (209.26 acres). You can read all about these enclaves, their histories, and the Maya ruins that are on them in my newest book, The True History of Playa del Carmen, available as an eBook or paperback on Amazon books.

The restriction on owning property in Mexico adjacent to the shoreline does not apply to companies, only individuals. As a foreigner in Mexico, you could form a Mexican company and then have your company buy the land, as did Vulcan years ago. Vulcan was extracting limestone and shipping it to the US for processing.

That is correct. Most of the quarry (not all of it) and the port are on Cozumel's mainland enclave of Rancho Ina. Cozumel still has two mainland enclaves. One is made up of two parcels, the Rancho Ina (aka Punta Venado) and the La Rosita quarry (for a total of 2,802.716 acres), The other enclave is Xelha (209.26 acres). You can read all about these enclaves, their histories, and the Maya ruins that are on them in my newest book, The True History of Playa del Carmen, available as an eBook or paperback on Amazon books.

Just ordered your new book!

Looking forward to it, as I have for all your others.

Is this the quarry across from the car ferry?

Is this the quarry across from the car ferry?
Yes. There are three predios that the quarry land covers on the west side of the highway, but only two of those predios are inside the Cozumel enclave. The other is contiguous to the south and is not part of the Municipio of Cozumel. The fourth predio Calica/Vulcan has is on the east side of the highway and it is the one that has the port.

This whole quarry thing has not made the Facebook news down here yet but they always seem a few days behind. I'm curious to read the reactions to this.

I'm not exactly sure and may be way off but in the last two years there has been a few reports about that place. It seems they had a lease or a permit that was good for only so many years, like 20 and it was not being renewed. People here seemed upset that this company was removing materials that were Cozumel peoples materials and making money from that. I might be way off but that is how I interpret it.

It's a funny cultural thing - in the US, you could care less what the stone quarry did with their material - here, while they have the papers to do something, it's still not their material......

The Maya train project just bought a barg load of stone from Cuba and was off loading it in Puerta Moralas into smaller boats and bringing it to shore........ That would be stupid silly to truck material all the way from this contested port to way north of Cancun but who knows.....

There must be huge profit potential because there are gigantic red flags everywhere warning about any kind of investment here - that certainly does not apply to scuba diving though, the profit potential that is, nitrogen blurrs our common sense.

Back
Top Bottom