Local Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone dived Blue Mesa? I understand that when it was filled they flooded a town and an old cemetery. I think that it would be fun if it is possible to dive that. A friend who lived in the area said the lake is cold and cloudy until Aug-Sept.

It is near Gunnison, Colorado

I heard from the Park Service. You can dive anywhere in Blue Mesa except near the docks and the dam. You do need a dive flag. I would like to dive there late August. It would be interesting to see the submerged town, if we can find it.

Hi all, we have started a new website that answers the original question and tries to collaborate everyone's dive site info into a central location for USA freshwater dive sites. The site is : http://www.lakediver.com

Please submit to us and we'll post your dive spot!

Thanks!

Rickster:
Hey,
Lets all post local dive spots we have been to. ....

No rivers? Rivers are my favorite. Let me add:

Snake River
Falls River and
Firehole River.

Looking for more!

ddavies:
Has anyone dived Blue Mesa? I understand that when it was filled they flooded a town and an old cemetery. I think that it would be fun if it is possible to dive that. A friend who lived in the area said the lake is cold and cloudy until Aug-Sept.

Blue Mesa is the largest lake in Colorado..by far...and is an interesting dive site.

It is over 100 miles to circumnavigate the lake, so you need to know where you are going.

There are actually 3 towns submerged, numerous highway and railroad bridges submerged, and plenty of fishing gear, a wrecked airplane, some sunken boats, etc.
The lake has an abundance of Kokanee Salmon, Brown trout, record lake trout, crawdads, etc.

Most recreationists are fishing, but there is a lot of sailing, waterskiing, jetskis, cliff jumping, and swimming. There are no designated areas for any of the activities. Its a big enough lake to go where you want.

When full the lake surface is at around 7400 feet elevation.
Depth averages 80 to 300 feet.
Water temps vary with thermoclines. 38 - 68.
Viz: 0 to 20 feet.
No air refills. Bring your own compressor or a lot of tanks!
No cell phone coverage. Pay phones at Marina and campgrounds.
There are very few rules. You can drive to the water's edge. You can have camp fires. You can have dogs off leash. You can have alchohol if over 21. You can camp.

There is a really good hamburger and trout restraunt at the marina called Pappy's. Reasonable and tasty. Great Margaritas. You can also rent a boat, get maps, etc, at the marina.

The headwaters are about 10 miles from Gunnison, and the lake continues for about 20 miles along highway 50 west of town.

Best diving is when water levels are lower. One highway bridge is only about 40 feet down.

The lake varies in depth depending on the time of year.

There is about a one week diving window in early May when the water is very low and clear with no algae growth or spring runoff. Viz may be up to 30 feet during this window.
This window can vary depending on the year, weather, etc.
I would not recommend driving there in early May expecting the right conditions.
With the big snowpack in the mountains this year..things could be a little different..but here is the skinny for the last few years:

Late May: Spring runoff fills the lake, and of course no viz.

Mid June - Aug. Lake is full and surface temps are warmer. Algae growth and thermoclines. Surface temp is high 60's, first thermocline about 8 feet down drops to 50's, 10 more feet and it drops to 40's. There is a canyon at the bottom, and there will be upwelling in places with water in the 30's.
Over a million tourists a year go to the lake.

Best Diving:
Late Aug - Oct. Water demands along the Gunnison and lower Colorado river basin require a lot of water from the res to be released. Less tourism, shallower water, less runoff = clearer water. Wait until Monsoon season is over...could be September.
Water will be clearer when the weather has been nice for over a week. Gets murky with rain and wind.

I have lived in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area since 1984, and currently split my time between there and Ft Collins(where I am now.)

Maybe we should have a Scubaboard get together late September at Blue Mesa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom