Local Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey,
Lets all post local dive spots we have been to. I have only been here in Co. a year, so my spots are limited to:

Twin Lakes
Carter Lake
Blue Hole
A sand & gravel pit in Holley, Co.

Any others?
Thanks, Rick

Well in Utah the only ones I have been to are:

Quail Lake
Homestead Crater

Rickster:
Hey,
Lets all post local dive spots we have been to. I have only been here in Co. a year, so my spots are limited to:

Twin Lakes
Carter Lake
Blue Hole

Any others?
Thanks, Rick
Rick, what are the range of temps and viz in the Colorado lakes?

Rickster:
Hey,

Twin Lakes
Carter Lake
Blue Hole

Any others?
Thanks, Rick

Blue Lake, NV
Homestead Crater Utah
Maple Lake UT

Thank goodness the Caribean Sea is a short plane ride away. Nothing too close here.

Dave

ABQdiver:
Rick, what are the range of temps and viz in the Colorado lakes?

Twin Lakes-we went Labor Day. Air temp.=45deg 1st day, 70deg the 2nd day. Water=55 deg., vis=15ft

Carter Lake-went 12/26/04. Air temp.=45deg. Water=39 deg., vis=4ft

The quarry-12/18/04. air temp.=40deg. Water=47deg., vis=1 inch.(there was a large floating dredge running in the quarry)

Rick

SterlingDiver:
Blue Lake, NV
Homestead Crater Utah
Maple Lake UT

Thank goodness the Caribean Sea is a short plane ride away. Nothing too close here.

Dave

In March we are driving to California. I want to go over to utah, then down. Was thinking about doing Homestead, then Seabase. Are there any alternatives that may be better?
Rick

Hey Kevin, long time no see. When is your next trip to Rock? I will be down there on March 11-13 watching OW dives with the shop, but I can dive Friday on my own. My daughter is getting certified that weekend. I'm slinging doubles now....

I have dove;

Chatfield; King Fisher pond, 3' vis, 64* in early summer. Chatfield Res; about same vis & temp by dam.

Carter; dove it several times. Vis is anywhere from 15' to 1'.

Jefferson Res (10000' elevation); AWESOME DIVE. Vis down to 30 or so was about 25' or in that area, vis at 97' was about 12' or so, depends on the light. I use a 50w Hallogen can light (home made).

Glendo Res, Wyoming;
two spots. Bay areas, typically about 15' vis in summer (Labor day weekend).
Cliffs on West side across from Sandy Beach, vis to 30' down was about 15', vis at 97' was around 3', but is dependant on light.

Perch Lake in Santa Rosa, Best vis on a FW Dive to date. Vis was 50'+, but was in March or April, water was 55* at 50'+. Very cool cliff faces, all hydro thermal rock deposits from hot water vent (no longer active vent). Lake has a Beach Craft plane in it and a car of some kind with a dive platform above it for training.

asta
Greg

I love diving Utah. Causey Reservior, Blue Lake, Homestead and Seabase are all good. PM me right before you come Rickster and I will give you the local conditions. Seabase has thier temps on thier website. Also good general info is found in "Utah Scuba Diving" website. If you plan on diving the reserviors, bring a drysuit.

I want to dive fish lake in Utah, I read about it a while back. It sounds pretty good.

On the other side, I'm going ot got together some dives to Kansas. I know, weird. But I know some divers that live North of Hays. The lakes areound there have tons of fish and can actually have pretty good vis. I have a funny story from one of them that I will post when I have more time. It entails spear fishing at night and monster fish. BTW, fish in some of the lakes get to 6' in length (cats & carp) Some stripers get huge too.
asta
G

newt:
I love diving Utah. Causey Reservior, Blue Lake, Homestead and Seabase are all good. PM me right before you come Rickster and I will give you the local conditions. Seabase has thier temps on thier website. Also good general info is found in "Utah Scuba Diving" website. If you plan on diving the reserviors, bring a drysuit.
Thanks, Newt. I'll PM you in a couple weeks.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom