Local Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Frankenmule:
I want to dive fish lake in Utah, I read about it a while back. It sounds pretty good.

On the other side, I'm going ot got together some dives to Kansas. I know, weird. But I know some divers that live North of Hays. The lakes areound there have tons of fish and can actually have pretty good vis. I have a funny story from one of them that I will post when I have more time. It entails spear fishing at night and monster fish. BTW, fish in some of the lakes get to 6' in length (cats & carp) Some stripers get huge too.
asta
G
Hey Greg,
Kansas? Well, I am up for anything. Let me know, when , where, how, and lets do it! Are you going to the Vintage Scuba Party, Thurs.? We can talk about it then.
Rick

I forgot about it, good thing you reminded me. I may actually have some Vintage gear bought by tonight. Double 30s off a single yolk manifold. They were used for research dives at a college in Texas.

I will be there.

I found out an interesting thing about Carter Lake today.
My tech instructor's family owned the ranch that now sits under Carter. There is a stone house foundation on the south end somewhere.
Also, there is a few boats and an airplane on the bottom somewhere. The plane crashed in the middle of the lake several years ago and they never pulled it out.

G

Actually, the swimming area is no longer the dive area. It has been moved to the saddle on the south end of the lake. Also, diving is permitted anywhere in the lake off a boat. You are supposed to check in with the rangers before diving. Some of them will try to require you to be affiliated with a dive shop on their list, but, it is not the case. If this happens, ask to speak to their supervisor. Gary, the guy in charge of the lakes told me there is no rule stating the affiliation thing.
While the water is down, the rangers told us to just let them know where we were going to dive. That was it......

I did find out that it's a $300.00 fine for solo diving, I do not condone it anyway.....

Greg

Awesome.

Ok, Who has a boat and side scan sonar?

I am so up for some "exploration" diving.

side scan sonar in Carter lake??? Seems like overkill. How bout just boating around in a grid pattern dragging a set of grappling hooks on ropes till you snag something. Seems like a much more "Colorado" style approach :wink:

Hummmm,
you may have something there. Actually, a dive sled. My dad's friend uses them in the Gulf to find hard bottom for spear fishing.
I spend 2.5 hours crossing back and forth today watching the fish finder for odd topography. I may have found a couple structures, or maybe just a glitch in the scanner. I don't know. I took my GPS and marked the spots. I didn't get to cover the whole lake because there was too much ice still on the lake in weird places. It was thin enough to go through in the boat (<1/4") but it messed up the sonar unit. I can tell you, the lake is about 20' from max fill. I found 145' deep areas and some really odd anomolies. There is a hill about 1/3 of the way up from the south end and about the middle of the lake. It is 100'-120' deep all around it and the top is about 70'. One other thing, if you go about 100 yards to the north of the dive beach, on the east side, the water gets 100' deep about 150 yards off shore.

In the off season (Oct - May) I think we may be able to dive wherever we want from shore. I need to check with the main guy before I say for sure.

asta
Greg

If it's information you want, you can often find a topo map for a lake, reservoir, etc. in a fishing store.

But if you're doing it more for the pleasure of gathering data, then enjoy.

It's kind of fun just relaxing and puttering around. It's also fun watching the fish finder for anomolies on the bottom. Like searching for the Titanic.....

I have seen sub surface maps before, they are cool. Now if we could find some old fisherman that knows where some odd "Structure" is on the lake bottom, we would be set.

On a side note, I was only joking about using a sled. It would be insane trying that in a lake. Pitch black, deep water and suddenly finding a rock wall or plane or ??? would not be my idea of fun. Not to mention not having a constant depth would be a nice way to play DCS tag.

asta
G

Back
Top Bottom