Local boat options with double tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have temporarily (well, for an expected time of about a year) relocated to Orange County. I have Double Faber 95's and would like to use them on local dive boats. The tanks are O2 clean for partial pressure NITROX blending. The tanks are configured with an isolation manifold with DIN valves.

Are there any boats from San Diego, up to Ventura that will not have a problem with my tanks? If the profile of the dives planned is shallow (normal recreational limits) I would certainly get two dives and possibly three from the tanks before refilling so I would only need O2 clean fills on really big days.

I do have single tanks, two E8-130's, O2 clean, and one AL80 not O2 clean. The single tanks are only a single valve, so I dive a completely different rig with them. It would not be practical for me to mix the use of singles and doubles on the same trip.

If there are not any boats that are doubles friendly, would I be better off with my large steel singles, or should I just throw up my arms and dive the AL80 so as not to worry about not O2 clean fills?

I would rather use the doubles so I can keep in practice for when I get back to cave country in Florida. Bouyancy and trim is just so different when switching from any single tank to doubles.

Many thanks,

Mark Vlahos

Lois Ann Charters in San Diego is very tech friendly.

Terry

Mark Vlahos:
Hi,

I have temporarily (well, for an expected time of about a year) relocated to Orange County. I have Double Faber 95's and would like to use them on local dive boats. The tanks are O2 clean for partial pressure NITROX blending. The tanks are configured with an isolation manifold with DIN valves.

Are there any boats from San Diego, up to Ventura that will not have a problem with my tanks? If the profile of the dives planned is shallow (normal recreational limits) I would certainly get two dives and possibly three from the tanks before refilling so I would only need O2 clean fills on really big days.

I do have single tanks, two E8-130's, O2 clean, and one AL80 not O2 clean. The single tanks are only a single valve, so I dive a completely different rig with them. It would not be practical for me to mix the use of singles and doubles on the same trip.

If there are not any boats that are doubles friendly, would I be better off with my large steel singles, or should I just throw up my arms and dive the AL80 so as not to worry about not O2 clean fills?

I would rather use the doubles so I can keep in practice for when I get back to cave country in Florida. Bouyancy and trim is just so different when switching from any single tank to doubles.

Many thanks,

Mark Vlahos

LA AREA
Pacific Star (PacStar to the locals) does PPB of Nitrox on board, and pumps hyper filtered gas. They're in the Redondo Beach area. I've been on that boat a zillion times, and have seen doubles on there a number of times.

Many of the 6 packs do tech trips, and are also tech friendly. I can't vouch for their gas, however.

VENTURA
The Peace has a membrane and pumps 32. Lots of doubles divers on that boat, too.

So - when can I see you? Its only been a zillion years.

Ken

Mo2vation:
So - when can I see you? Its only been a zillion years.

Ken

Ken,

I just got an apartment in Costa Mesa. On August 4th I had an emergency appendectomy so I am still a few weeks from the water. I am trying to get back to work, the only complication is the recovery from surgery. I really don't want to push too hard with the lifting and bending and aggravate the surgery site, so my return to work is slow and plodding. I figure about two more full weeks and I will be completely ready to work hard and dive without physical compromises. Since you are DIR I am sure you will understand.

When I am back up to full strength I would love to dive with you and catch up on old times. I have no idea what my work schedule is more that about four or five days in advance so scheduling may be a little complicated. Probably the best way will be for me to try to add myself to a trip you are already planning on doing. That way if I am not able to make it, you would have gone on the trip anyway.

Take care,

Mark Vlahos

Thaks for the boat suggestions. At this time I will probably limit my So Cal diving to recreational diving profiles as I do not own a dry suit. The long dives in the cold water even with the best wet suit just don't sound too appealing.

Any other boats? Just keep the info coming. :)

Thanks,

Mark Vlahos

You should check out the oil rig trips we have scheduled in Sept/Oct if you are still in town. The Sea Bass pumps Nitrox and we have a few serious deep divers in the group. Some of our charters are on http://shop.divevets.com

I haven't run into any issues with doubles on Mr. C or any other boats, however, I've just been diving air and getting nitrox fills will be an issue onboard some of the boats.

You don't need no stinking drysuit either. You'll adjust to the temp quick enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom