"Lobstermen: Jeopardy at Sea"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNorth:
I don't know if I buy that Lobsters are over fished. There are protections in place now to conserve breeding lobsters. "The Secret Life of Lobsters" does a good job at addressing this topic.

Really? Offshore there is no max size limit and therefore the big breeders do get taken. Upping the minimum size does help a bit but we really need the big boys and girls out there.

decapoddiver:
Really? Offshore there is no max size limit and therefore the big breeders do get taken. Upping the minimum size does help a bit but we really need the big boys and girls out there.

What is the max depth for lobsters? How about for Lobster traps? Is a big lobster's genetics superior or is it just luckier? Do bigger (older) lobster produce more eggs or are they like every other species on the plant apt to have less eggs and less ability to produce viable offspring as they age? Personally I think the that there should be a max size limit on lobsters even off shore but not because I think they are over fished. Heck if a lobster can live to be 40 years old toss it back, the only person buying one of those babies is some wanna be stud showing off at his summer BBQ anyway.

lakewinni:
Yeah thatd be pretty sweet. Gas costs (trimix and deco) $80 a dive. Boat costs $150 a trip. Gear costs $a freakin lot. Catching a $15 lobster at 160 feet, priceless. :D

Here's to that!!! :monkeydan

If memory serves me correctly (disclaimer!), I believe they said 1800 fsw. I didn't know they were down so deep.

There was some really big lobsters they were hauling in. I would have liked to see them thrown back to make more baby lobsters. I couldn't have kept them if they were off MA in the Gulf of Maine...

I did pick up on the attitude of "it's my ocean". I understand it's how they make a living, but I was put off by it. Maybe because I shore dive for lobsters around here and hear the horror stories of lobstermen vs. divers.

I think there's another episode tomorrow night (check listings!). I'll be curious to see what spin they're trying to put on this.

jim T.:
The problem with both the Cod fishing and Lobstering (in Maine mostly) is severe overfishing over many decades. Both industries could still be saved with proper management and moratoriums/subsidies but it's unfortunately a politically charged issue.

Actually there isn't much to worry about with the lobster populations. The 3 largest natural predators of lobsters, other than people, are Atlantic Salmon, Cod, and Wolf fish. The salmon and cod are almost gone, so we are just eating the lobsters that they would be.

Don't Stripers go for lobster? (small ones) Their popluation appears to have come back... Just want to know if I have to fend off the stripers to get my lobster! :wink:

I live out West these days, but the last time I was in Bar Harbor, Maine ten years ago there was a threat of a lobstering moratorium due to severe overfishing. As you can imagine it was a very hot topic. Hopefully it's no longer a concern? Thanks ScubaNorth for the update.
Glad that they've gotten their act at least partly together.

I'll have to watch for the show's repeat or another segment.

It seems like there is enough room for all to fish...
especially in New England waters
how can someone own their spot of ocean.????
I didn't see the no trespass sign at Georges bank...did you???
those lobster men own it??

Back
Top Bottom