"Lobstermen: Jeopardy at Sea"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Did anyone watch the first of the new Discovery Channel series last Night (Tuesday) ? I only made it half way through (pumkin time). Looks like a spin off of the "Deadliest Catch" series.

These guys trek out to George's Bank.

Just curious of anyone's take on it.

I saw the end of it when really were talking about so fewer lobsters out there, aving to have to out farther,.. One guy lost about 120 traps at $100 a pop, adds up to a big loss. I feel for them. I know they don't want to hear this but all I kept thinking was to get into another line of work. I know a lot of people in high tech that just got out and reinvented themselves to new occupations out of need to put food on table. I'm not trying to stir things up here..

Wife and I were addicted to Deadliest Catch and we taped the lobster one last night so we will probably watch them all......love any show that deals with the sea..

reefseal:
I saw the end of it when really were talking about so fewer lobsters out there, aving to have to out farther,.. One guy lost about 120 traps at $100 a pop, adds up to a big loss. I feel for them. I know they don't want to hear this but all I kept thinking was to get into another line of work. I know a lot of people in high tech that just got out and reinvented themselves to new occupations out of need to put food on table. I'm not trying to stir things up here..

The guy who kept losing his gear was pretty new at it (second year as a boat owner)... didn't seem particularly experienced or business minded. Was cutting corners and didn't seem as dedicated as some of the other captains.

The other more seasoned guys (20 years + experience) seemed to have their stuff together, and were making big money.

Looks like an interesting show... different from The Deadliest Catch, but entertaining none the less.

-B

sat down and watched the show tonight. Seems these guys have the same additude as most of the lobsterman, we own the ocean how dare you come into it. I know it's there job and income but the crab fisherman didn't seem to have the same additude.

The New England fisheries have been around a lot longer than the Alaska fisheries... pretty sure that's a big part of the attitude difference.

There's not a whole lot of territorial pissings up here in Alaska... it's a big state.

-B.

I missed the show, but someone mentioned to me that the pots were at about 150fsw to 180fsw... Could this be a new technical dive challenge?!?!?! Technical lobster diving... I can see it now! Count me in!

christine1223:
I missed the show, but someone mentioned to me that the pots were at about 150fsw to 180fsw... Could this be a new technical dive challenge?!?!?! Technical lobster diving... I can see it now! Count me in!

Yeah thatd be pretty sweet. Gas costs (trimix and deco) $80 a dive. Boat costs $150 a trip. Gear costs $a freakin lot. Catching a $15 lobster at 160 feet, priceless. :D

My Dad was from Gloucester Mass and I spent a good deal of my childhood summers up there. The problem with both the Cod fishing and Lobstering (in Maine mostly) is severe overfishing over many decades. Both industries could still be saved with proper management and moratoriums/subsidies but it's unfortunately a politically charged issue.

Is this show going to be repeated or extended to more shows? I meant to watch but had my own boat chores to do last night and forgot to tape it.

jim T.:
My Dad was from Gloucester Mass and I spent a good deal of my childhood summers up there. The problem with both the Cod fishing and Lobstering (in Maine mostly) is severe overfishing over many decades. Both industries could still be saved with proper management and moratoriums/subsidies but it's unfortunately a politically charged issue.

Is this show going to be repeated or extended to more shows? I meant to watch but had my own boat chores to do last night and forgot to tape it.

I don't know if I buy that Lobsters are over fished. There are protections in place now to conserve breeding lobsters. "The Secret Life of Lobsters" does a good job at addressing this topic.

More to come and they always re-run them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom