LK's Pattaya Bash or I am a diver not a hairdresser crack head :-)

Which thread should these types of 'discussions' continue?

• LK's PATTAYA BASH THREAD

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I AM a Diver not a Hairdresser Crack Head :-)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Continue the way it is currently in any thread deemed appropriate by thoese involved

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...the grand instructor from Holland that reigns...

A counter opinion is fair here. I think he reigns because of a positive reputation. With over 100 successful instructors he must be doing something positive. Referral business is huge in the dive industry. I found he gave just enough support when I completed my IDC in 2008. We were a small group of three, and each of us needed assistance in different areas. In the end all of us did very well thanks to him. Perhaps a mismatch in your case?

Dive companies at the end of the day have an obligation not only to paying customers, but also to senior divers to keep their word. A promised and agreed dive doesn't mean a change the next day because of the mix of divers heading out that day....if the company can't cope, they shouldn't be running these dives then.

Its just unfair on divers who do fly in and are on limited times and budgets.

Reputations are built/burnt by things like this....regardless if its phuket, or anywhere else in the world.

All true. Customer service is the main thing that distinguishes one shop from another. As it happens, we rarely see a switch in destinations from Phuket--it does occur a few times every year on days that the weather is too bad to get to a particular dive site; then the captain makes his decision to change itineraries for the safety and comfort of all aboard.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The "Attention Thailand dive operators" side bar has been moved here

All true. Customer service is the main thing that distinguishes one shop from another. As it happens, we rarely see a switch in destinations from Phuket--it does occur a few times every year on days that the weather is too bad to get to a particular dive site; then the captain makes his decision to change itineraries for the safety and comfort of all aboard.

Oh def. Safety is never up for argument with me. But its this "yes, confirm" today but change of plans tommorow because they want to milk non-divers of cash and new divers that can't obviously dive in certain situations and locations because of a lack of dm's and boats that bothers me.

I have been fortunate it has only ever happened to me twice in my life time; i understood the reasons why with the first (weather) but was disappointed with the second but couldn't blame him as the dm had far too much to drink the night before and was clearly not in the correct state of mind to lead the group out that day...

Dive companies at the end of the day have an obligation not only to paying customers, but also to senior divers to keep their word. A promised and agreed dive doesn't mean a change the next day because of the mix of divers heading out that day....if the company can't cope, they shouldn't be running these dives then.

Its just unfair on divers who do fly in and are on limited times and budgets.

Reputations are built/burnt by things like this....regardless if its phuket, or anywhere else in the world.

You're dead right if the operator is sneaking a couple of beginners on and then changing the destination and bugger the others, I would be livid too.

But don't forget all the variables that need to be taken into account

If the weather is good, boat is running fine, everyone has paid a deposit and turned up, lovely, but this is often not the case and that's when everyone needs to compromise, or just get off the boat, that's what I'd do.

Saying that, if you halfway there already, you're stuck!

I agree here to a point, but I have had destinations changed countless times without consultation from the DC.
Many times particularly in my native UK such decisions have been taken on safety grounds and ultimately someone is responsible for such decisions and I would never complain under such circumstances, regardless how disappointed I was.
But when such decissions are taken purely for financial gain it is unacceptable, and numerous times this has been the case.
What makes it even less acceptable is when it is done without consultation after accepting my booking and then being told 'sorry we dont make refunds'. In other words we have your money already so take whats on offer or leave it. This sort of behaviour is so short sighted, and I have experienced it more times than I care to remember.

You're dead right if the operator is sneaking a couple of beginners on and then changing the destination and bugger the others, I would be livid too.

But don't forget all the variables that need to be taken into account

If the weather is good, boat is running fine, everyone has paid a deposit and turned up, lovely, but this is often not the case and that's when everyone needs to compromise, or just get off the boat, that's what I'd do.

Saying that, if you halfway there already, you're stuck!

If all DC's had this same approach there would be so many more happy customers. :D
I must come and do some diving with you.

:hijack:
Where have all the Hairdressers and crack heads gone?

<raises hand> :blush:

I was in Thailand (Phuket and Koh Lanta specifically) late last year and loved the diving. I do with with one of the less budget operators and was happy with the service and the diving. Having said that, what I paid for I got. I would be getting my money back if a bait and switch happened to me.

For example if on the day I paid to go to Hin Daeng/Muang, I was told that we could not because we had some novice divers, I would likely have lost it. I am a firm believer of "If you sell it, provide it".

ANY DC that feels this is an acceptable practice for regular business days, is hopefully doomed to bankruptcy. If "Typhoon Mary" sweeps up and calls the dive for you then that is not a normal business day (just an example). People deal with enough ignorant people in life to deserve a break when diving.

I agree here to a point, but I have had destinations changed countless times without consultation from the DC.
Many times particularly in my native UK such decisions have been taken on safety grounds and ultimately someone is responsible for such decisions and I would never complain under such circumstances, regardless how disappointed I was.
But when such decissions are taken purely for financial gain it is unacceptable, and numerous times this has been the case.
What makes it even less acceptable is when it is done without consultation after accepting my booking and then being told 'sorry we dont make refunds'. In other words we have your money already so take whats on offer or leave it. This sort of behaviour is so short sighted, and I have experienced it more times than I care to remember.

Yes changing destinations like that without good reason is simly not on.
I can add a new perspective to this discussion. I have recently been to Koh Chang intending to dive on most days of my holiday and went only once.
Believe me I would have been glad of a change in destination, I simply could not believe the 2 dive sites that I was taken to.
How anyone can charge good money for two dives and take their customers to such locations that I saw is nothing but a joke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom