Liveaboards with single cabins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving in the Maldives, Carpe Novo has a pair of very nice single cabins.

I saw this and hoping to book one for a future trip! It says they have queen sized beds though- I imagine they could hold 2 people? Why are they reserved as single cabins?

Hell yeah, I'm going on Solitude One to Tubbataha in June and the SS is 80% 😳
Obviously I'm going to share with a stranger at that price lol
Hey, Mike1967, we are going on the Solitude One to Tabbataha in May 2023. How was it? Did you stay at a land based resort before or after? We are trying to plan our trip and wondering if it is worth extending or going to a resort before the liveaboard. What were the covid restrictions?

Hey, Mike1967, we are going on the Solitude One to Tabbataha in May 2023. How was it? Did you stay at a land based resort before or after? We are trying to plan our trip and wondering if it is worth extending or going to a resort before the liveaboard. What were the covid restrictions?
Hey mate, words can't even explain how good it was. From the boat, the diving and the crew, everything was amazing! I was actually on a resort based trip with 9 other Aussies but didn't want to travel all that way for a week so I went to Tubbataha when they all went home, that was at Magic Island Dive Resort in Moalboal and it was amazing too. I went back 2 mths later to Boracay and Panglao and I'll be back in Dec-Jan, that's how good it is. I'm actually going to retire there in 5 years 😁

Here's a link to my favorite guide to the Philippines. There is so much to see. I just had a group who did Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao and then Malapascua on the Siren. Excellent trip.

Philippine magazine on ScubaVerse: Magazines

I saw this and hoping to book one for a future trip! It says they have queen sized beds though- I imagine they could hold 2 people? Why are they reserved as single cabins?
You're right. The Carpe Novo "single" stateroom can definitely hold two beds (instead of a queen) and you can house two divers easily. Putting 2 beds in a stateroom is the norm for dive boats since it maximizes profit and flexibility for the fleet. For example, in August I paid the single supplement on the Blue Manta and got a fantastic room. But it had two beds because it was a 2-person room that I (paid to) occupy by myself. As you can imagine, I never used the 2nd bed. A waste of space really. And there's a different feeling when comparing the rooms between Carpe Novo and Blue Manta. At least for me.

Given the choice, I totally prefer Carpe Novo's approach. For my single supplement I'd much rather have a room in a luxury setting (e.g. queen bed for myself with a spacious feeling) than paying for a 2-person room that looks like a two-person room.

Then are the other fleets that "really" maximize profit by creating "single" "cabins" that are converted gear lockers with beds that curve to follow the contour of the bow. But that's a totally different discussion.

With single cabins, it depends upon the ship in some cases. For example, I have a group on the Nautilus Explorer in September 2023. Two of the stateroom cabins are "dedicated" single occupancy but the cabins can accommodate two passengers. The limiting factor on the Explorer is total certified ship capacity. If they allowed two divers in the "single occupancy" cabins, they would exceed the total certified capacity for the ship.

Thanks @aquabluegreg

I was in one of the singles on the Explorer in 2019. I would never have guessed that it was passenger limit rather than business plan that dictated the 2 single rooms. A very nice room it was. Of course, Nautilus charges a supplement for the single room, but it is just 25% of a regular double occupancy rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom