Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving at Cozumel for a week earlier this month.On our boat for 5 days was a group of high schoolers from Florida, 9 teenagers and the 3 adults. Great bunch of kids and good divers. They would have thought the OP was an old person.

I went to the thread where the OP went to announce her departure from diving. Wow. Um, hory sheet. I am also an Asian female in San Francisco, 32, but work in corporate retail, not a "hot" industry in her words. I am lucky that my job allows me to afford the vacation time and liveaboards that I have been on and plan to be on. I believe it is a privilege that I have worked hard to attain and it makes each vacation and trip that much sweeter. The bonus is meeting so many new and different people. I don't think aggression is a quality to pat oneself on the back for but I do think hard work, dedication, drive, determination, and all of that is. That is not where my issue is.....

In response to her post, I could not disagree with her post and her attitude any more. In fact, it's a huge shame and I hope it does not make others think this is representative of the demographic I fall into or the region where I live. There were some very broad, sweeping generalizations. In all honesty, it was chock full of bigotry and I am getting the impression that the attitude she had boarding the liveaboard was probably what set up the experience for disaster.

Marketing to younger people: Circling to point 3 in her post, citing your idea that it is complicated or how you have to fly somewhere far to see anything worthwhile - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people love to dive locally in our cold waters and people even come from across the country or from other countries to see the kelp forests. Reward doesn't come without hard work or effort. A sense of entitlement will make you think otherwise. After so much "trouble" to get from here to there to dive somewhere amazing, I want to dive, dive, dive....If you want to do other things instead of purely diving, charter a boat with your friends, do some diving, and tell the charter where you want to go and what you want to do. You can dictate the schedule and the itinerary/activities.

Point 4 in her post: If you know what you want to see, do your research. I recommend Indonesia, heart of the coral triangle. I have not dived the Maldives but I am aware that there is significant bleaching in some areas there. Indonesia has mind blowing, jaw dropping dives that you will not be disappointed about that will be your gold standard. Raja Ampat and Komodo immediately come to mind.

While I am not a Trump supporter, the bigotry and generalizations are what really got to me. Travel is about meeting people from different cultures with different mindsets and backgrounds. If you are intolerant of such things, don't travel and for sure, don't put yourself in a situation where you would be stuck on a liveaboard for a full week with no escape route. I really hope I never run into someone like you on a boat and hope that others do not define who I am based on your attitude and ideas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is probably the most mean thing I have ever written to anyone on Scubaboard but.....I am okay with it.

I went to the thread where the OP went to announce her departure from diving. Wow. Um, hory sheet. I am also an Asian female in San Francisco, 32, but work in corporate retail, not a "hot" industry in her words. I am lucky that my job allows me to afford the vacation time and liveaboards that I have been on and plan to be on. I believe it is a privilege that I have worked hard to attain and it makes each vacation and trip that much sweeter. The bonus is meeting so many new and different people. I don't think aggression is a quality to pat oneself on the back for but I do think hard work, dedication, drive, determination, and all of that is. That is not where my issue is.....

In response to her post, I could not disagree with her post and her attitude any more. In fact, it's a huge shame and I hope it does not make others think this is representative of the demographic I fall into or the region where I live. There were some very broad, sweeping generalizations. In all honesty, it was chock full of bigotry and I am getting the impression that the attitude she had boarding the liveaboard was probably what set up the experience for disaster.

Marketing to younger people: Circling to point 3 in her post, citing your idea that it is complicated or how you have to fly somewhere far to see anything worthwhile - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people love to dive locally in our cold waters and people even come from across the country or from other countries to see the kelp forests. Reward doesn't come without hard work or effort. A sense of entitlement will make you think otherwise. After so much "trouble" to get from here to there to dive somewhere amazing, I want to dive, dive, dive....If you want to do other things instead of purely diving, charter a boat with your friends, do some diving, and tell the charter where you want to go and what you want to do. You can dictate the schedule and the itinerary/activities.

Point 4 in her post: If you know what you want to see, do your research. I recommend Indonesia, heart of the coral triangle. I have not dived the Maldives but I am aware that there is significant bleaching in some areas there. Indonesia has mind blowing, jaw dropping dives that you will not be disappointed about that will be your gold standard. Raja Ampat and Komodo immediately come to mind.

While I am not a Trump supporter, the bigotry and generalizations are what really got to me. Travel is about meeting people from different cultures with different mindsets and backgrounds. If you are intolerant of such things, don't travel and for sure, don't put yourself in a situation where you would be stuck on a liveaboard for a full week with no escape route. I really hope I never run into someone like you on a boat and hope that others do not define who I am based on your attitude and ideas. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is probably the most mean thing I have ever written to anyone on Scubaboard but.....I am okay with it.

Thanks for speaking your mind so people don’t get the wrong impression about that demographic.

@outofofficebrb well said, but I would still like the opportunity one day to change her mind about the stereotypes she has.
You won’t change it I am afraid. I lived in Silicon Valley during “dot-com” and one could find characters like the OP everywhere.

Uh yeah, good luck with that. I’m 55 and consider myself an in-betweener. Not really a boomer, not really an X’er. I was on the backslide and in the trough behind the boomers. I was a little kid when my older sisters were radicals in the late 60’s. One of them was fully involved in the Berkeley riots. I saw all the drugs, the sleaze, the hippies, and I used to look on in horror.
I had to work for everything I got. I split when I was 16, couldn’t take living out in the boonies with a bunch of drug addicts and dope growers anymore. I had to work and go to high school living on my own. Nothing was handed to me, I had to bust my ass and prove myself everyday to make ends meet. I wanted to be a cop but that dream never worked out, so I moved on but I never quit trying to better myself.
I can’t believe some of these millennials these days, never a dull moment. I’m back looking on in horror. That “post” pretty much sums up and confirms everything I see wrong with “some” of them. The rest of you calm down, you get it.
It has to do with the parents these days, not the kids these days. They are just a product of their environment. A baby born now or three hundred years ago is still just a baby, just raw material. It’s what they are exposed to and taught that makes the person.
Maybe more time on a LOB with a bunch of old people might be a good thing, but the important part to any learning and absorbing, is your ears and mind have to be open and your mouth has to be shut.
I think the more time they spend with their own age group the more their spoiled entitled ‘me me me” attitude just festers. Community means all of us together. The elders are elders for a reason.

I have two children, born 1985 and 1989, both wonderful people, and divers to boot. They hang out with us and have good discussion and a good time. I'm quite sure they do not share the values of the OP. I'm not at all sure their parents deserve any of the credit, but I am proud of them :).

I have two children, born 1985 and 1989, both wonderful people, and divers to boot. They hang out with us and have good discussion and a good time. I'm quite sure they do not share the values of the OP. I'm not at all sure their parents deserve any of the credit, but I am proud of them :).

You also don’t live in SFO/Silicon Valley.

Back
Top Bottom