liveaboard stranger roomies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only thing that would really piss me off is if I committed to paying 1.5 for my slot and found there were vacancies on the charter.

By contrast I was booked on a boat where I did NOT pay the single supplement and was told I'd have a roommate. Once on-board it turned out there was an empty cabin. Should I have expected to be be given my own single cabin even though I did NOT pay the supplement? Should I have been pissed off if I wasn't?*

That's called wanting to "have your cake and eat it too."

Suppose the only reason there was a vacancy was because there was not enough spots remaining for an additional booking party because YOU had paid extra to guarantee your own roomie-free cabin? Suppose a party of three wanted to book that week, but there was only one double-cabin remaining? If you were open to a roomie the boat could have booked that party of three. However, the boat now has to turn away three paying passengers to honor your guarantee of a single room.

"Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances."

*Turns out I was given my own cabin in this case, but I had absolutely no expectation that I would. Why would I? I was given the option of ensuring I'd have my own cabin, but I declined. Note also, that in this situation I always tip a little extra because the amount of work that crew has to do - in cleaning rooms/heads/etc - is in fact more than normal for the number of tipping passengers actually on board.

What's the up-charge for a Czech Model bubble watcher roommate?

Could be as high as your home, a couple of cars, and 50% of all future earnings... if your wife finds out!

:shocked2:

By contrast I was booked on a boat where I did NOT pay the single supplement and was told I'd have a roommate. Once on-board it turned out there was an empty cabin. Should I have expected to be be given my own single cabin even though I did NOT pay the supplement? Should I have been pissed off if I wasn't?*

Suppose the only reason there was a vacancy was because there was not enough spots remaining for an additional booking party because YOU had paid extra to guarantee your own roomie-free cabin? Suppose a party of three wanted to book that week, but there was only one double-cabin remaining? If you were open to a roomie the boat could have booked that party of three. However, the boat now has to turn away three paying passengers to honor your guarantee of a single room.

"Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances."

*Turns out I was given my own cabin in this case, but I had absolutely no expectation that I would. Why would I? I was given the option of ensuring I'd have my own cabin, but I declined. Note also, that in this situation I always tip a little extra because the amount of work that crew has to do - in cleaning rooms/heads/etc - is in fact more than normal for the number of tipping passengers actually on board.

Good way to look at it.

Could be as high as your home, a couple of cars, and 50% of all future earnings... if your wife finds out!

:shocked2:

:rofl3:

You make it sound like a bad thing.:D

Maybe Tigers X wife is needing a dive trip to Palau? Nah, He gave her a new dive boat when he was trying to patch things up. Now, 100 million later????:depressed: The staff of the Aggressor told me that the boat normally fills up in Feb as it is prime time in Palau. I think I may wait a few months and if the boat is near full I'll seriously consider the 1.5X premium.

Noise canceling headphones on top of ear plugs and a small battery powered white-noise generator that you can place near your head (careful...many of these have an auto-off feature that kills the noise after 90 minutes - and that is enough to wake me). Obviously, you will need extra batteries for a week of noise machine use.

Get all these and you may not have to pay double (or 1.5).

But, as has already been said, it's not just snoring that you have to contend with on a live aboard if you are in one bunk and a stranger is in the other.

I don't see that anyone else has suggested custom earplugs. If you happen to have small or "tough" ear canals (tight curves) then you know my pain. Earplugs just don't work.

The answer is to head over to an audiologists office and for about a hundred bucks, get a pair of sleeping plugs. Check out Welcome to Westone | Westone for more information on the plugs and an audiologist list, though honestly the information there is fairly sparse. Basically the sleep plugs are soft silicone and look like the motorcycle plugs. They only have the full shell versions pictured, they are designed for waking use.

The molding process is fairly easy, they push some foam or cotton stoppers in your ears then fill them up with a silicone "epoxy" like substance. Feels like someone shoving cold mashed potatoes in your ears. After 5 minutes they pull it out and mail it to westone or whoever makes their plugs. 1-2 weeks later you get something designed just for you. Very comfortable. (you can also do the same for earbuds, custom earphones, bluetooth headsets etc)

As for those who have issues sleeping in beds not of their own, or who have anxiety issues because of the movement, talk to your doc about xanax or other similar meds. Of course being that this is a scuba board, DON'T assume you will be "just fine" with it. Make sure it works fine on shore first, then be VERY wary underwater that you are still ok. Inform your buddy and stop if anything isn't right.

I take (and have a prescription for) an EXTREMELY small dose (.25mg) if my brain won't slow down when I try to sleep, works great. Fortunately boats and I are fine for sleeping, but I know others who have been helped.

Back
Top Bottom