liveaboard stranger roomies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've shared rooms with snorers before - it's not fun. But if you can use the noise cancelling headphones that would probably help. ALSO, Dancer Fleet and Aggressor have a pretty good reservation center and they remember their people well. If you can request your meals be prepared a certain way perhaps they might do their best to honor a request made by you to ask that a non-snorer be roomed with you. Personally, I would not want to pay the single supplement rate on a liveaboard.

I've now done two liveaboards and am hoping to do the Palau Aggressor or Tropic Dancer in Palau next August (2011). I'd rather pay the extra money to upgrade to first class on my plane ticket last minute if the airline has room. That to me would be worth the extra money.

My biggest pet peeve happened on my last liveaboard with the guy I roomed with. He snored, but that's beside the point. He insisted on diving alone, constantly was pissing and moaning about their not being enough dive sites with big stuff, wrecks, and deep dive/technical options. WE WERE IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA!!!! It's like, hey dumbass, did you check the globe and maybe read a little about where you were going before you plunked down five grande for a dive trip clear on the other side of the world????

He was a nice guy overall, but his sarcastic nature, jokes with such poor inappropriate taste and loud mouth comments got on everyone's nerves by week's end. Most of the passengers expressed pitty for me for having to room with him.....LOL!!! But nonetheless, it didn't spoil my trip one bit. PNG was a great place and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I'm sure Palau will be great too, I was planning on doing the Palau Aggressor during the time you're going but I have a family winter vacation planned that month so I have to decline. If you postpone and go next July/August/September let me know and I'll room with you. I'm a non-snorer and a reliable dive buddy.

Last edited:
My experience is limited. I have only been on one liveaboard and that was the Spoilsport with my wife. She isn't really a fan of liveaboards so I'm on my own for the trip I'm planning to Palau next yr. I want to go on the Palau aggressor for a week then stay ashore for another week. I'm happy to pay for my own hotel room but paying double for a liveaboard??? No thanks. The problem is simple. I'm a light sleeper and I would be miserable being stuck with someone that snores. What provisions do they make to avoid this problem? If my insta roomie is a snorer how tough is it to make a switch? I mean it isn't like I can say "hey, this guy sounds like a frieght train at night. Can I take your quiet sleeper in trade"? Or I guess I could say that but .... This is an expensive trip that could be absolutely ruined. What are your experiences and how did you solve these kinds of problems?, Thanks
Can you use ear plugs or an iPod?
I was roomed with another female for two weeks on an African livaboard/safari for two weeks. We were similar age and had a wonderful time. We did not dive as buddies because she was paired with the instructor due to lack of experience.
I'd do it again. With that group anyway.Duggan Dive in San Antonio)

Last edited:
If you are diving a lot, which most likely you will be, chances are you're going to fall asleep pretty quickly regardless of the guy next to you is snoring.

I went on my first liveaboard in June and totally lucked out with my roommate. Guy did not make any noise at all! It was great.

Maybe Tigers X wife is needing a dive trip to Palau? Nah, He gave her a new dive boat when he was trying to patch things up. Now, 100 million later????:depressed: The staff of the Aggressor told me that the boat normally fills up in Feb as it is prime time in Palau. I think I may wait a few months and if the boat is near full I'll seriously consider the 1.5X premium.

FWIW, I went on the Palau Aggressor in February 2004, and there were 10 divers on the boat. All of us who travelled alone had a private cabin.

Of course, YMMV.

OMG, when I went on my one and so far only liveaboard trip I had a roomie that read at night until about three am, snored like a freight train, farted like a fog horn all night long and left his "short and curlies" all over the bathroom. But since I've been married to him for 34 years I guess I'm used to it!:D

How about a temp perscription for sleep meds? I've been on trazadone for awhile because I've a great deal of trouble sleeping, or wake in the middle of the night cause of some random thought and then can't get back to sleep. With this, i sleep more or less great, don't hear the sounds around me and best of all, don't wake up groggy.

I wouldn't pay the 1.5 to be honest. Sure..the trip is expensive enough and i'd hate for anything to ruin it..but once i'm there a few days and everyone is diving, diving, diving, sleep shouldnt be much of an issue.

OMG, when I went on my one and so far only liveaboard trip I had a roomie that read at night until about three am, snored like a freight train, farted like a fog horn all night long and left his "short and curlies" all over the bathroom. But since I've been married to him for 34 years I guess I'm used to it!:D

And I bet every word is gospel - truth.... Thanks for the chuckle!

I've now done two liveaboards and am hoping to do the Palau Aggressor or Tropic Dancer in Palau next August (2011).

My biggest pet peeve happened on my last liveaboard with the guy I roomed with. He snored, but that's beside the point. He insisted on diving alone, constantly was pissing and moaning about their not being enough dive sites with big stuff, wrecks, and deep dive/technical options. WE WERE IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA!!!!

He was a nice guy overall, but his sarcastic nature, jokes with such poor inappropriate taste and loud mouth comments got on everyone's nerves by week's end. Most of the passengers expressed pitty for me for having to room with him.....LOL!!! .

I've been watching this thread for a while now, and have to comment. Since I started diving, I've always paid a single supplement, because I like my space. But when I went on my last liveaboard in July, I thought I'd leave it up to chance and if I did get a roommate, how bad could it be? Snoring I can handle. Messiness fine. Latenight reading? I can sleep through anything. OMG! This person was not a nice person overall; her sarcastic nature, arrogant loud mouth comments caused everyone on the full boat to avoid her and her three like-minded friends as much as possible (and feel sorry for me). These women were all just plain mean spirited. I dreaded going to my room all week, wondering if I was going to have to run into her. I have never encountered people like that in my short diving experience (almost 200 dives, more than half of those on liveaboards) and I hope I don't in the near future (although it is highly likely!).

So in my experience, paying a single supplement to have a room to myself is more than worth it. I'm just wondering if I am the only female who has had this sort of experience. Why can't people just be nice? :confused:

An update, My wifes sister has a friend with whom she has been diving with all over the world. The sister began having asthma problems and quit diving. My wife suggested we ask the friend if she wanted to go to Palau. Enthusiastic yes was the answer. So if I want her as a roomie it is ok. She will join the boat either way. I have the money just laying around so I'm leaning toward paying the extra. But nice to have options. Now I just have to find a buddy I can trust and has similar diving profile. I suspect the lady can stay down much longer than me. In tropical water my sac rate is about .45 - I don't want to shorten her dives.

<<I have the money just laying around>> Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that about any purchase.

And all women can stay down longer than men. It's because they actually manufacture air. :) I extend my air time by controlling breathing on initial plunge when you tend to breathe faster, then going deep initially, but then coming shallower for most of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom