liveaboard stranger roomies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My experience is limited. I have only been on one liveaboard and that was the Spoilsport with my wife. She isn't really a fan of liveaboards so I'm on my own for the trip I'm planning to Palau next yr. I want to go on the Palau aggressor for a week then stay ashore for another week. I'm happy to pay for my own hotel room but paying double for a liveaboard??? No thanks. The problem is simple. I'm a light sleeper and I would be miserable being stuck with someone that snores. What provisions do they make to avoid this problem? If my insta roomie is a snorer how tough is it to make a switch? I mean it isn't like I can say "hey, this guy sounds like a frieght train at night. Can I take your quiet sleeper in trade"? Or I guess I could say that but .... This is an expensive trip that could be absolutely ruined. What are your experiences and how did you solve these kinds of problems?, Thanks

Any possibility of recruiting a male buddy who does not snore? I am a very light sleeper as well and would share your concerns. There is always the possibility that they will not be able to fill the other half of the stateroom with no additional charge.

Hi!

Two solutions I can think of: Ear Plugs or
Pay the extra money (usually 1.5 times the regular rate) to sleep alone.

My deal is I have real problems with the motion of the boat so I usually sleep only 5-6 hours a night and never when we are travelling, but the diving is great so I put up with it. Another option is to bring sweat pants, a sweat shirt and an extra pillow (you can find a compressor to minimize the size) and you can either sleep in the salon, or out on the top deck in a lawn chair. I did that last week when we were traveling for 10 hours between dive destinations on a choppy sea.

I snore, so i'm not in your pool of people who you'd like to room with. :D

good luck and I would prepare to have alternatives and I wouldn't sweat it.

i'm with Kelly- EAR PLUGS. I travel with extra for the very reason you mention. We do a lot of live aboards - and I have shared my plugs with many grateful divers. :) My husband doesn't snore - but I am a very light sleeper - and sometimes the anchor chain is an unwelcoming alarm clock!! :)

We were on the Aggressor to Fiji - holds 18. There were only 7 of us............every one that wanted a single room - got one. Aggressor lets you check the openings on line - check back often and see how full the boat is.

if the boat is full - you are likely not to get someone to change rooms with you as most of the time people tend to travel with a partner/buddy etc.

no matter what liveaboard we go on, we take ear plugs. Some people snore so loud you can hear them through the walls!! Luckily, we (me and hubby) go on all trips together so we are sharing a room. But out in Calif, the liveaboard sleeping quarters are a large bunkroom with 30+ people in them. You gotta have ear plugs or suffer. On our first Nekton trip one guy told us that on his previous 2 trips he had to share his room with a bad snorer so he ended up sleeping in the salon most nights. They had no problem with it so I would guess other liveaboards would be the same way.

I always sleep like a log on liveaboards as I am so tired by 9pm and the motion of the boat rocks me to sleep (with the exception of one trip in Calif where the seas were so rough the first night crossing that it was violent and no one slept!).

robin:D

I always pay the extra to be alone if possible. I used to attend seminars and have roomed with the worst snorers, folks on different sleep schedules, smelly, and just plain idiots. Better to pay up front.

hmmm, I was thinking it was going to cost double, 1.5 times may be worth it. I will do some experimenting with ear plugs. I'm not sure they can do the job but I'll put my wife the scientist in charge of running the experiments. Thanks for the input. PS, any non snorers want to do the Aggressor in Feb? :)

See if you can request a female roomie as they tend to be less prone to snoring and even those that do are usually quiet compared to male snorers. :wink:

rotflmao. My wife will require photographic evidence of uglyness. Maybe if you wanted to try a liveaboard before your week ashore? You could put on a wig and send a photo, pretty sure that would fullfill my wifes requirement :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom