liveaboard stranger roomies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have roomed with the worst snorers, folks on different sleep schedules, smelly, and just plain idiots. Better to pay up front.

Hey, which one am I?

:shocked2:

What are your experiences and how did you solve these kinds of problems?, Thanks

Well, other than rooming with tajkd on most of my dive trips my additional liveaboard experience is limited to two additional weeks on the Truk Odyssey. One week I lucked out and didn't have a roommate. The second week I had a roomie who was fine... other than at least once a night he awoke screaming with night terrors...

"Uh, uh, uh... oh god! OH GOD!" and he'd sit bolt upright.

Funniest thing was I heard him talking to some other passengers during the week, saying about me "I don't know... he's kinda weird. I mean, several nights I woke up and he was just sitting there staring at me."

:eyebrow:

That said, my solution would be to save the extra charge for single supplement and make sure I dove enough to be dead tired and sleep through whatever room mate they gave me.

What I did on my liveaboard was get fitted ear plugs instead of just the foam kind you find at any store which really worked well. Just went to a ear doctor and had him make them not as cheap as the $5 store one but when you are spending some much on a trip you don't what ruin it because you spent $5 instead of $50

Excellent suggestions. I plan on doing enough dives to be in a state of exhaustion but a trip to an ear doc for special plugs is a great idea. The foam ones make my ear ache since I'm a side sleeper. I also have the new bose earmuffs or whatever the heck you call them Q-15's or something so if I adjust to sleeping on my back those would work. Nice job folks.

That was hilarious, RJP.

FWIW, some people do get the "Malarone dreams" as I call them. That anti-malarial gives some people vivid dreams. I know I've had a few over various trips, waking up trying to figure out how to get out of my room in the Solomons, before I woke up to what was happening. Doesn't sound like that would apply to your trip and certainly not to this one, but that's one reason for the nightmares.

I'm one of the snorers along with sleep apnea. For those not familiar, the flesh at the back of the throat is vibrating as well as closing off completely. In between making all that noise, we can get pretty close to dying from lack of oxygen before the body wakes up to open the airway. That could give a little comfort to those lying next to us thinking of strangling us... :)

Hmmm... snoring<->diveknife, snoring<->diveknife...

When you're paying live aboard prices, you don't want to spend the week, laying awake, fantasizing about what you would like to do your roomate, the one who snores like a revved up Harley.

When you're paying live aboard prices, you don't want to spend the week, laying awake, fantasizing about what you would like to do your roomate, the one who snores like a revved up Harley.

The bad part of this equation is the more tired the snorer is, the louder they go...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom