Liveaboard Sinks Off Tubbataha Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terrible news, fingers crossed they find the missing four.
Found this news article: Squall suspected in dive boat sinking off Tubbataha

We're headed there tomorrow night and the boat we've booked (Discovery Palawan) was apparently the closest yacht in the vicinity.
oh hey....see you on the boat! looks like the weather will improve for our trip. fingers crossed!

Hopefully, the missing are found.

I have to say that this boat does not look like like a very good design - appears to be very top heavy/too tall for for its length? I could see it doing poorly/rolling in heavy broadside winds.
my immediate reaction as well. that, and how low it sits on the waterline.

i hope we find out more details soon, but any big broadside blow hitting something that tall (and narrow? i can't find out anything about this boat so who knows how much beam they had) is gonna cause problems if you can't get the motor(s) started and off anchor quickly to move the boat into the wind.

it's strange to me that none of the other boats have said anything about a squall. i'm sure there were other boats at/near that spot in North Atoll.

I hope they are found alive soon, but time is running out.

That boat looks pretty top-heavy. Is that a common design in that area? It looks like one of those home-made RVs you occasionally see.

i hope we find out more details soon, but any big broadside blow hitting something that tall (and narrow? i can't find out anything about this boat so who knows how much beam they had) is gonna cause problems if you can't get the motor(s) started and off anchor quickly to move the boat into the wind.
What kind of ship is this?

MG Y DREAM KEEPER (MMSI: 548830500) is a Pleasure Craft and is sailing under the flag of Philippines.

Her length overall (LOA) is 39 meters and her width is 9 meters.

I have to say that this boat does not look like like a very good design - appears to be very top heavy/too tall for for its length? I could see it doing poorly/rolling in heavy broadside winds.

That boat looks pretty top-heavy. Is that a common design in that area? It looks like one of those home-made RVs you occasionally see.

It looks that way, isn't it? I couldn't find the boat specification online, nor previous cruising records / trip reports. It looked like a new boat.

What kind of ship is this?

MG Y DREAM KEEPER (MMSI: 548830500) is a Pleasure Craft and is sailing under the flag of Philippines.

Her length overall (LOA) is 39 meters and her width is 9 meters.
Another important design parameter is the center gravity and height above water at fully loaded condition as this accident happened at the beginning of the trip.

Another important design parameter is the center gravity and height above water at fully loaded condition as this accident happened at the beginning of the trip.
yeah, this is from marinetraffic.com which doesn't tell you much unless you subscribe.

Aside from height, that boat has a lot of surface. Decks that would be more like half decks or less and open much of the way on most liveboards, look all enclosed.

yeah, this is from marinetraffic.com which doesn't tell you much unless you subscribe.

Aside from height, that boat has a lot of surface. Decks that would be more like half decks or less and open much of the way on most liveboards, look all enclosed.
Indeed. I've been on skinnier boat (White Manta with 46/10 length/width ratio) than this M/Y Dream Keeper (39/9) and yet felt more stable during rough weather, due to lower profile above water.

Deam Keeper.jpg
White Manta.jpg

White Manta courtesy of Whitemanta.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom