Liveaboard Boats and Roaches

Have you seen Roaches on a Liveaboard trip?

• Yes al the time. Part of the experiance!

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes but very rarely.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • NO! Never!

Votes: 73 76.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be good to specify which Aggressor specifically you are referring to since I believe each boat is a franchisee operating under the Aggressor brand name. You don't want to paint them all with the same brush.

Sorry, in an earlier post, I mentioned that it was Hawaii, therefore the Kona Aggressor II, however based on conversations we had with the head office, and other Aggressor staff, we were told it is common on all boats. The Aggressor fleet is now owned by Wayne B. Brown and Wayne Hasson.

I missed the connection on your earlier post.

The Aggressor web site still says each boat is independently owned and operated.

Odd, it also says "April 2007 Wayne B. Brown and Wayne Hasson Purchase Aggressor Fleet". Either way, we were told it is common, by their head office, Wayne Hasson in particular.

Well, it doesn't sound like the liveaboard is really going to make you both happy if you are trying to plan a trip together. Have you thought about something like Bonaire where it's pretty much all shore diving and you just rent a truck and hit all the dive spots around the island? You both still get your fill of diving and hopefully no roaches!:krach:

I have to revise my answer... we did see a few bugs on the Eco Explorer. Small ones, but everyone said they saw a few. No biggy to us, its a big boat and you would have to expect them to be there.
But then again, we had bugs and mosquitos in particular on every land-based trip we have done, Bonaire had huge mosquitos and you had to put on protectant from dusk to dawn. We have never had that problem on a liveaboard!

robint:D

Been on the Palau Aggressor and the Truk Odessey -- not a single roach.
Worst thing I've had to put up with is a little mustiness, which is to be expected on a liveaboard.

One must know that roaches can come on the liveaboard via cardboard, they tend to live in the walls of cardboard boxes that have been shipped all over the world. There is no way anyone can stop a roaches from living in the walls of a box.

I never SEE roaches when I'm on the boats but always unpack my bags outside on the patio and store my luggage in the garage. I've never come back from a tropical trip without bugs in my bags. All it takes is for one customer to bring roaches on board and its not long for the whole boat is infested. I've seen this especially true with older sailboats I've been on in the Bahamas & US Virgin Islands. Cardboard boxes used to bring food on board is another culprit. Its the nature of the beast.

I even met a guy who tried to get a free trip by complaining to a boat owner that there were cockroaches and mold on board that was making him sick. Later they found out from other passengers that he was bragging about how he could get his money back by doing this. It was all a scam. Now he's black-listed on all the best liveaboard boats.

If someone doesn't like bugs and can't deal with mold, maybe that person is not a liveaboard candidate.

In the tropics, you will always find bugs where there is food. They come ever time they get a food shipment. If they have frequent pest treatment, they can be controlled enough that they will be rarely seen, but they can't be eliminated. This is true for liveaboards and resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom