Liveaboard Boats and Roaches

Have you seen Roaches on a Liveaboard trip?

• Yes al the time. Part of the experiance!

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes but very rarely.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • NO! Never!

Votes: 73 76.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on two different liveaboards in Thailand - never saw a roach.

I agree with Deputy Dan. He's looking for a way out or a way to save some money. I've been on over 20 liveaboards and the only roaches I've seen are the ones in hotels on land. Headed to the Cocos on the Okeanos for the 10th time next summer, have never seen a roach yet. Also been on the SuperSport, Febrina, Galapogos, Truk and Tahiti Aggressors, Kararu Voyager, SkyDancer and others whose name escapes me. I had huge roaches at a hotel in Guam once.
Steve:14:

I've been on 3 liveaboards and no roaches. The boats were all clean. I agree with the others about your friend not wanting to go on the trip.

6 liveaboards, no roaches seen so far. On land, I've seen some that needed saddles.

Would that be western type saddles or what? :eyebrow:

Not sure about the Liveaboards in your part of the world, but my limited experience is listed below:-

Similans - MV West Coast Explorer - Wooden Hull - Roach Fest Vessel
Raja Ampat - MV Anjemiwa II - Wooden Hull - Roach Fest at Dining Area, Rooms Occasional Roach
South China Sea (7 Skies Wreck) - MV Black Manta - Metal Hull - None that I remember seeing.

So far, from me limited experience, me thinks roachees are a problem for thems wooden hull vessels, hyuk! hyuk! hyuk!

I googled MV West Coast Explorer: 22,000 baht for 4 days/ 4 nights to Surin, or about $162 a night. An Aggressor or Undersea Hunter, for example, charge about $400 a night. So I guess we can conclude that liveaboards are like hotels; cheaper ones are more likely to have roaches.

I've only been on one liveaboard so far, the Cuan Law in the BVI. We saw no roaches or any other pests during the trip. They took us on a tour below decks at the end of the week and everything was spotless, including the engine room and shop area.

Ok, it's important to understand how roaches get on the boats. Every weekend and usually Saturday the food is restocked for the next trip. The food is coming from areas like Belize City if your boat is operated in Belize. So, it is easy for this to happen the most important thing to do is monitor the problem and do the best you can to control it. I live in Southwest. FL and we have bugs everywhere. You can not elimate them but just do your best to control it. Pest Control business here is good all year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom