Liveaboard Boats and Roaches

Have you seen Roaches on a Liveaboard trip?

• Yes al the time. Part of the experiance!

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes but very rarely.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • NO! Never!

Votes: 73 76.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on 8 liveaboards in the last three years, 7 Aggressor Fleet boats and the Spirit of Niugini in PNG. Never saw a roach on any of the boats.

All the Aggressor boats were spotless as far as cleanliness goes. Some a bit shop worn, but clean non-the-less. And NO roaches.

The Spirit of Niugini, on the other hand was very, very shop worn, in spite of just coming out of a six month over haul. One look into the engine room door, and you think the sky is falling in on you it is so dirty and unkempt. Our cabin had a fire extinguisher bracket on the wall, but NO Fire Extinguisher in it. One morning an exposed pipe in the hallway outside our cabin burst, and water was flooding down from the ceiling on to the stairs (our exit route) and the carpeted floor. The toilet handle leaked continuously onto the floor of our head. Yuck! They never fixed it, even though we asked. Glad I brought a pair of flip flops to wear. As shabby as the boat was....there were never any reports of roaches from the other divers either. It is pretty amazing considering the close proximity to land most evenings.

In dozens of boats I have seen a few, but they come aboard with supplies and it is hard to stop them which says a lot for the boats you don't see them! The one I saw them on gets sprayed often and when I told the captain he ordered the whole boat fumigated when we docked! But it does happen! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom