Trip Report Live trip updates: USA to Anilao Photo Academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a lot of time with a blue ring octopus today, I might have gotten some good photos. Learning how to focus with a +12.5 diopter.

Yeah I had one climb onto my camera tray to take a rest in a swell when he got puckered. Beautiful creatures.
Yes using a diopter is not so easy I imagine as I see other divers using them and they seem to be a bit awkward at times. Great photos though.

This one on a night dive not my best photo. Problem was another diver decided to shine their lights when I wanted to take this photo.

BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS.JPG

That is perfect water temperature for me to dive in 3 - 4 dives a day without a wetsuit. On the cool side but I would not count it as chilly.
I also do a lot of macro photography so never really get bothered by that sort of temperature. At most I might put on my sharkskin top with long arms. Enjoy the diving it's good in the Philippines and I have been diving there since the 1987. Fun place to dive and relax. If you get lucky you might get to get one of these Bobbit Worms.
LOL.
For you but not for everyone!!!!!
Most if not all of your posts are like that!

LOL. For you but not for everyone!!!!! Most if not all of your posts are like that!
Yeah too bad for those feeling the chills :) Two of my regular dive buddies from the UK use sharkskin long sleeves or 3mm wetsuits in the Philippines. Worst chill for them is on the dive boat with the wind chill factor going back to the dive center not on the dives themselves.

Yeah too bad for those feeling the chills :) Two of my regular dive buddies from the UK use sharkskin long sleeves or 3mm wetsuits in the Philippines. Worst chill for them is on the dive boat with the wind chill factor going back to the dive center not on the dives themselves.
Nothing wrong with that and we are all individual! You probably could never understand this part of simple human physiology.

One of the other divers had this magnificent waterproof on the outside, shaggy fleece on the inside garment to wear after dives and I am regretting very much not purchasing one. Someone had it last trip and I wanted one, but then justified to myself not buying one because it's a tropical place that is hot and sunny and how could I possibly be cold out of the water if I dry off... I was wrong. It is possible to be cold in the sun when it is warm outside. Temperature here is cooler than I would expect, I would never call the weather "hot" although I suspect I'm not the best person right now to be making accurate statements about the weather after four dives.

I did see my bobbit worm tonight, I'm not quite sure what it was named after but I could not get Lorena Bobbitt out of my head.

So you were not "cooked"!!!! LOL.

Philippines will get pretty hot comes May but not late Feb or early Mar.
Body Temp is about 37C and you are losing heat all the time in the water unless it is also 37C or above.
If the boat goes out for 2 dives, bring a towel and a thin sweater(old micro fleece is the best to give away at the end of the trip).

I found my insurance using the square mouth browser that had a lot of options. I think mine was about $40 for almost weeks.

So I arrived at the Philippines, my paperwork was checked four times in the process, everything checked out. The free test that I got in New York via their rapid covid service worked great Cepheid PCR test that also did influenza and RSV, which was slightly annoying because the covid result was on the last page and people had to page through it to get there. It took about an hour and a half to get processed in the airport in the Philippines, so I advise getting off the plane as fast as possible so that you're not at the end of the line.

The plane from Detroit to South Korea was about half full. The plane from South Korea to Manila was a little bit more than a quarter full.

I am happily ensconced at the Anilao photo academy and learning lots!

If you are going to be diving with a small operation, their dive masters haven't had money to buy new gear in years. Bringing along gifts such as a wetsuit would likely be very much appreciated, and could definitely be used by someone!
I am off to The Philippines on March 10th, so reading your experiences is brilliant. Were the people at Manila Airport checking paper or electronic versions or both of your documents ? Thanks and enjoy your trip !

I am off to The Philippines on March 10th, so reading your experiences is brilliant. Were the people at Manila Airport checking paper or electronic versions or both of your documents ? Thanks and enjoy your trip !
They checked what we had. I had my covid test and my proof of insurance and my vaccine card as paper items, and then I had my QR code for the Philippines health pass digitally on my phone. I would definitely make sure to save a screenshot of that QR code onto your phone in case your internet doesn't work.

Regarding internet, there are people in the airport selling SIM cards for approximately $10 for 20 GB over 15 days. I use Google Fi which is $10 for 1 GB, so getting a local Sim is sometimes nice.

Regarding internet, there are people in the airport selling SIM cards for approximately $10 for 20 GB over 15 days. I use Google Fi which is $10 for 1 GB, so getting a local Sim is sometimes nice.
Absolutely necessary. Land line is not common and reliable.

The free test that I got in New York via their rapid covid service worked great Cepheid PCR test that also did influenza and RSV, which was slightly annoying because the covid result was on the last page and people had to page through it to get there.
What is the free PCR test of which you speak?

Back
Top Bottom