Trip Report Live trip updates: USA to Anilao Photo Academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to hearing how your tip into the Phils goes! So far everyone I know that has arrived has had no issues as they are prepared. Best to have all that paperwork properly organized in a folder, you will get asked quite a few times for it.

No need for malaria prophylaxes where you are going, but heed Centrals advice about repellent. I worry about dengue fever much more than anything else (including Covid) so at dusk and early dawn I make sure I use it.

I'm from Iowa too! (Cedar Rapids) I've lived in the Phils for 4-1/2 years.
Nice! I'm living in Iowa City! I'm going to buy mozzie spray over there, shouldn't fly with spray can.

Nice! I'm living in Iowa City! I'm going to buy mozzie spray over there, shouldn't fly with spray can.
If the bottle is less than 100ml in capacity and not using any propellent. Never have any issue with that.

I'm going to buy mozzie spray over there, shouldn't fly with spray can.
I usually use 100% deet which isn't in a spray can and this bottle has lasted for years.

What did you get? I'm hoping for something cheap.
I'm not OP but have bought insurance from Trawick International which covers covid-related travel issues including quarantine if you test positive while traveling. The price varies by age and trip duration but it's been about $30 for me.

I'm going to do live updates (or try my best, anyway) so people can live vicariously through my experiences, and hopefully minimize their stress for traveling so soon after reopening. I'm flying out on Thursday from LGA -> DTW -> ICN -> MNL on Delta/Air Korea and will be arriving Friday at about 10PM.

I've never been to the Philippines. I've done a fair amount of travel to dive locations including SE Asia, including the Maldives pretty early in the pandemic. I'm excited to be one of the first international tourists in the country, and very excited to spend time working on my underwater photography skills!

- I've got my CDC vaccine card and a printout of a copy of my state records. My state (Iowa) does not have digital vaccine certificates.
- I've downloaded the Traze app and filled in my info and uploaded a photo.
- I need to fill out the One Health Pass form and probably print whatever it tells me to: BOQ Health Declaration Registration
- I'm getting my Rapid test NYC on Wednesday morning (results in about 6 hours), the printout from it clearly states "PCR" and has very detailed documentation of methodology. And it's free! Yay! If I for some reason need more testing, ICN airport has rapid PCR test options for about $175.
- I'm going wetsuit shopping in the morning because I need a 5mm wetsuit and I worry that I won't find a rental that fits right
- I decided against malaria prophylaxis, but I still have time to get a Rx if I need one. I am a 6x/year blood donor so I would rather not miss donating for 3 years if I get it!

I'm a little nervous, and worried that I might have forgotten something important.
PCR test 48 hours before travel. Philippine lifted the quarantine requirement on Feb. 10. If you booked with a resort with airport pickup, that's the most convenient way to get to Anilao. No malaria at Anilao. Enjoy!

I usually use 100% deet which isn't in a spray can and this bottle has lasted for years.

I'm not OP but have bought insurance from Trawick International which covers covid-related travel issues including quarantine if you test positive while traveling. The price varies by age and trip duration but it's been about $30 for me.
I just looked and it was over $400 for two of us for about 3 weeks. No trip cancellation insurance included. I'm looking for really cheap! (I have DAN evacuation and DAN coverage but not DAN travel insurance, so I'm OK on getting evacuated or for a diving accident)

I just looked and it was over $400 for two of us for about 3 weeks.
That's so odd! I just got a quote for the two of us for a two week trip for about $100. I have DAN coverage for diving and trip insurance through my travel credit card so I really only buy it in case of trip delay due to quarantine. I don't know why it would be so expensive for you.

I just looked and it was over $400 for two of us for about 3 weeks. No trip cancellation insurance included. I'm looking for really cheap! (I have DAN evacuation and DAN coverage but not DAN travel insurance, so I'm OK on getting evacuated or for a diving accident)
All legit and popular travel insurance companies cover covid under their medical policy coverage. It is an illness like any other. A couple of great choices include Imglobal, Safetywing, Worldnomads, and AIG You can google the sites. IMG is usually a good buy and a couple of my friends have used it to enter the Phils with no problems.

I found my insurance using the square mouth browser that had a lot of options. I think mine was about $40 for almost weeks.

So I arrived at the Philippines, my paperwork was checked four times in the process, everything checked out. The free test that I got in New York via their rapid covid service worked great Cepheid PCR test that also did influenza and RSV, which was slightly annoying because the covid result was on the last page and people had to page through it to get there. It took about an hour and a half to get processed in the airport in the Philippines, so I advise getting off the plane as fast as possible so that you're not at the end of the line.

The plane from Detroit to South Korea was about half full. The plane from South Korea to Manila was a little bit more than a quarter full.

I am happily ensconced at the Anilao photo academy and learning lots!

If you are going to be diving with a small operation, their dive masters haven't had money to buy new gear in years. Bringing along gifts such as a wetsuit would likely be very much appreciated, and could definitely be used by someone!

- I'm going wetsuit shopping in the morning because I need a 5mm wetsuit and I worry that I won't find a rental that fits right
I'm a little nervous, and worried that I might have forgotten something important.
5mm wetsuit for the Philippines? You plan on cooking yourself? The water temperature is often 28c you it is not cold. I only wear shorts and a T shirt and long sleeve t shirt at most. Coldest I have been in was 24c and even that I do not wear a wetsuit. It is cool though lol good for burning of a few calories. Not many dive centers I know rent out 5mm wetsuits 3mm seems pretty common due to the warm waters.

Back
Top Bottom