Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh..another pro.

Launches from the Cape!

We can see 'em here too.

Well, just scanned the thread again.

My,my,my. Hispanics!

Wake up and smell the coffee people. Most of us are, or were descended from immigrants.
The Hispanic population contributes as much to this society as my Italian mother and Grandparents. (Oh, Irish on Dad's side.)
I don't see anybody objecting to "Anold", governor of California. (we had a Hispanic Governor.)As trite as this sounds, some of my best friends and dive buddies are Hispanic. Doctor, attorney and a couple of Engineers.
Even the Mexican and Guatamalans with no education are building our homes, maintaining our lawns, taking care of our kids and serving our food.

Oh, and have you seen the names of the dead, wounded and others from here serving in the Middle East?

? I certainly hope that no offense was taken by my post and apologize if it was. . . I guess I didn't elaborate enough but I do not think it is right, practical, or any way accurate to generalize any group of people, especially if ascribing negative attributes. I took a pretty non-serious stance on it, figured that at least the walmart part would come off as a joke, wouldn't mean any ill will to the Age Advanced low-country-ers or my West Virginian brethren (I actually like mullets). I have many friends and business acquantainces and other people that I fully respect and admire that for the purposes of loose description on a message board,would not be offended with the term Hispanic, I've actually discussed this very thing with many of them. I stated my observations of living in different areas in Orlando and visits to other areas of the state, I'm definitely not trying to say that I think that by any means anyone should not move to FL due to our ethnic diversity, heck its one of the few things I like about the state, I cherish the things I've learned from great friends of mine from other ethnic backgrounds. I don't know if it's the hot weather, the muzak, or the white shoes that makes many people in FL of all backgrounds act the way they do, and by all means you can't think I mean everyone, there are obviously great people anywhere; again just some observations between FL and other places I've been or lived. Also, the shot at the Space Coast was meant as a joke, obvoiusly not everyone who works for the place that puts the shuttle into space is on drugs, just funny to me that one of the most responsibility laden companies or one of their contractors was careless enough to leave their baggie in the bathroom.

I figure if I'm going to maintain a humorous aire (at least thats what I attempt) in serious discussions I should change the sig.

Again though, apologies to anyone that may have taken offense, none was meant.

LOL.
All's good.

Some of your assessments are wrong. You can not put all Cuban or Haitian in one bag. Some Cuban or Haitian do not speak english. This is a fact, but they are usually hard worker and do not live on government hand out. I am Haitian. I have a MBA and provide jobs for Cuban, Haitian and American. I am part of the American Dream

And there we go. My comment re Mexican's and Gutamalans....
I am in construction. Spanish or Patois helps, but never met a one, who is not trying to embrace the language.

Welcome Tiben.

As I said re: Hiapanics in the Military, look at the names of the soldiers and sailors from this area serving in the Middle East. When we see those "French" sounding names, they are likely Haitian Americans.

Back to the original question, the vast majority of people here came from somewhere else. "Home" always compares favorably in a lot of ways than where you are now. At the end of the day, though, there's a reason (or several) you left "Home" to come here. People just sometimes forget what that reason was.

There are some irritations, costs and inconveniences, just like any other place. But no other place in the continental US lets you enjoy the ocean during more of the year (having gone to college in Santa Barbara, I can say with authority that the southern california ocean is too damn cold to enjoy). If you like mountains, and camping, and hiking, it's probably miserable.

Back to the original question, the vast majority of people here came from somewhere else.
Prior to the 16th/17th century European contact, there were about 350,000 Indian occupants in Fl. So yes, the rest came from somewhere else (mostly Manhattan, I'd guess.:wink: ).

And while we are not talking about the subject...
Those Native American Indian type people had a lot of cojones living on our land until we got here.
(Removing tongue from embedment in cheek)

Chug
Was told he is 16th Cherokee, like most other native born Americans from south of the Mason-Dixon Line

The pods eat a hamburger at Margaritaville at lunchtime, buy a t-shirt that says something classy like "I just farted", and get back on the ship and leave.

I didn't eat at Margaritaville, but I did buy a T-shirt that has a smiley face and says "BOOBIES MAKE ME HAPPY!" Sorry, I didn't help the economy more, but I was on a tight budget for my vacation.

Walter, you really crack me up. When I saw your post about come, visit, and leave I couldn't help but picture Jeff Dunham's "Walter" character. :rofl3:

Thank you for the useful information in this thread. I too am one who would love to find a way to move to south Florida. If I can figure out how to make it happen I'm moving in next to Walter, just for the fun of it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom