Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You sound so positive about Florida that you are obviously not a native (not that most of them are really natives). :eyebrow:

Well yeah part of it is b/c I'm not a native and part of it is that I came from DC...and imho DC is one of the suckiest places to live in the country. It's cold, it's super expensive, has some of the worst traffic in the country, and doesn't have nearly as many fun things to do as cities with similar downsides (like NYC).

Although I think it's most of the non-natives who do most of the complaining, those from the NY/NJ area specifically.

One thing though, for anyone who is thinking of moving. It won't be all great, there are going to be some things that will be better or that you will miss from wherever you move.

For me, it's the many grocery store choices and higher quality grocery stores in the DC/Northern VA area. Here in FL your choices are Publix, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods...that's it.

But am I going to move back to craptastic DC for grocery stores? That would be a big N-O.

I am going to put the Town of Jupiter out here once more. Yeas I have lived here around 20 years now, but I have lived and worked up and down the coast from Broward to Indian River County. Jupiter is "just right" IMO. Still a relatively small community (50,000 people), but cosmopolitan enough and still close enough to the Keys, football and the greatest wtaer in the world. And still just a days drive to the mountains. We are becoming the State's Bio Tech anchor.

Town of Jupiter Home Page

Above is a link to the Towns home page. Checkout the photos! Most taken by local enthusiasts.

I've lived in Hollywood, Lauderhill, Delray, and for a couple years Orlando. For family reasons, i had to move back to Madison WI. My daughter was "forced" to move from Boca to stay with me and is attending college.

Once she graduates, she's going back to probably Boca. I plan on either going with her, or following shortly after. I hate living here in WI. There's no diving really to speak of for one thing. Sure...there's the great lakes. But its COOOLLD. And vis SUCKS usually.

I can't wait to get back. mostly cause its warm, but cause i can do a whole heckuva lot more diving.

My fiance and I are planning on moving to florida in nov/dec of 2010. The problem is my career choice. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic in the Chicagoland area. Unfortunately for some odd reason NONE of my firefighting certificates transfer to florida so I will have to start all over. She will be a RN with a masters degree in nursing leadership so hopefully we'll be able to survive on her salary until I can either get hired by a fire department willing to accept training from one of the biggest/oldest fire departments in the country or I go back to school and most likely become a nurse myself. I can say it's really going to SUCK leaving such an awesome stable job here but I'm so sick of the winter! We're planning on moving to the jupiter/WPB area. Right between the keys and cave country with perfect diving in between. If anyone can give me any career advice I'd appreciate it.

My fiance and I are planning on moving to florida in nov/dec of 2010. The problem is my career choice. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic in the Chicagoland area. Unfortunately for some odd reason NONE of my firefighting certificates transfer to florida so I will have to start all over. She will be a RN with a masters degree in nursing leadership so hopefully we'll be able to survive on her salary until I can either get hired by a fire department willing to accept training from one of the biggest/oldest fire departments in the country or I go back to school and most likely become a nurse myself. I can say it's really going to SUCK leaving such an awesome stable job here but I'm so sick of the winter! We're planning on moving to the jupiter/WPB area. Right between the keys and cave country with perfect diving in between. If anyone can give me any career advice I'd appreciate it.

I know a girl whose BF works as a Firefighter in Naples...and they live in Miami. He commutes to Naples (which is quite a hall) b/c as of yet, he can't get a job as a firefighter closer to Miami. So be aware of that...

Were they originally from florida? I'm aware I may have to choose a different profession, I'm only 25 so it's really not a big deal. I figure my paramedic license will transfer but they make no money. I also do fire investigation on the side for insurance companies but I'm not sure what kind of market florida has for that. Just not sure what I'd really enjoy besides firefighting. I need me a regular edjumakation I guess lol.

Were they originally from florida? I'm aware I may have to choose a different profession, I'm only 25 so it's really not a big deal. I figure my paramedic license will transfer but they make no money. I also do fire investigation on the side for insurance companies but I'm not sure what kind of market florida has for that. Just not sure what I'd really enjoy besides firefighting. I need me a regular edjumakation I guess lol.

I believe so b/c his grandfather was a Miami Dade Firefighter.

I know a girl whose BF works as a Firefighter in Naples...and they live in Miami. He commutes to Naples (which is quite a hall) b/c as of yet, he can't get a job as a firefighter closer to Miami. So be aware of that...

last time Miami had a big opening of positions on their fire department, the amount of people who showed up to apply/test for the positions was so huge that it made the news. the line went out of the building and down the street.

it even made CNN.

FYI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom