Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiance and I are planning on moving to florida in nov/dec of 2010. The problem is my career choice. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic in the Chicagoland area. Unfortunately for some odd reason NONE of my firefighting certificates transfer to florida so I will have to start all over. She will be a RN with a masters degree in nursing leadership so hopefully we'll be able to survive on her salary until I can either get hired by a fire department willing to accept training from one of the biggest/oldest fire departments in the country or I go back to school and most likely become a nurse myself. I can say it's really going to SUCK leaving such an awesome stable job here but I'm so sick of the winter! We're planning on moving to the jupiter/WPB area. Right between the keys and cave country with perfect diving in between. If anyone can give me any career advice I'd appreciate it.

Unless Chicago uses something other than IFSTA Florida will reciprocate in most cases. Contact the state and they will tell you how. Florida agencies generally hire those who are already certified, whether LEOs or firefighters and the state has a variety of reciprocation methods.

Edit: From Brevard County:

Bureau of Fire Standards and Training
Florida State Fire College
11655 N.W. Gainesville Road
Ocala, FL 34482
Phone: 352-369-2800

If you are a firefighter in another state and want to work in Florida, you may challenge the State of Florida "Minimum Standards" written and practical skills examination. You must be able to document 440 hours of acceptable fire training. Contact the Florida State Fire College for more information. The written and practical skills examination are given quarterly for out of state applicants. The State Fire College does not offer the EMT or Paramedic Programs.

Unless Chicago uses something other than IFSTA Florida will reciprocate in most cases. Contact the state and they will tell you how. Florida agencies generally hire those who are already certified, whether LEOs or firefighters and the state has a variety of reciprocation methods.

Edit: From Brevard County:

Bureau of Fire Standards and Training
Florida State Fire College
11655 N.W. Gainesville Road
Ocala, FL 34482
Phone: 352-369-2800

If you are a firefighter in another state and want to work in Florida, you may challenge the State of Florida "Minimum Standards" written and practical skills examination. You must be able to document 440 hours of acceptable fire training. Contact the Florida State Fire College for more information. The written and practical skills examination are given quarterly for out of state applicants. The State Fire College does not offer the EMT or Paramedic Programs.

That's about the same thing I learned from just having placed a call to several firefighters whom I know here in PBC. They both indicated that he should have have to wait too long before getting hired based upon his age along with prior certification.....

Adurso thanks for the contact information. I believe the problem is in order to challenge the florida certification you have to have 360 hours of "basic employment training". Continuing education or advanced training does not count towards the 360 hours. I believe Illinois basic fire academy is only around 280 hours. My only saving grace might be that I have been through two basic academies, once when I paid my own way for the part-time department I worked for and once again when I became a career firefighter. I'm waiting back on a few phone calls to see exactly how many training hours my academies were.

-Nick

Edit:

I spoke to the supervisor at the Florida state fire college and have a message waiting for the person that deals with out of state applicants. I'm supposed to hear back by wednesday at the latest, cross your fingers :wink:

Adurso thanks for the contact information. I believe the problem is in order to challenge the florida certification you have to have 360 hours of "basic employment training". Continuing education or advanced training does not count towards the 360 hours. I believe Illinois basic fire academy is only around 280 hours. My only saving grace might be that I have been through two basic academies, once when I paid my own way for the part-time department I worked for and once again when I became a career firefighter. I'm waiting back on a few phone calls to see exactly how many training hours my academies were.

-Nick

Edit:

I spoke to the supervisor at the Florida state fire college and have a message waiting for the person that deals with out of state applicants. I'm supposed to hear back by wednesday at the latest, cross your fingers :wink:

Good luck. There is a web site ihiremedtechs.com that may give you some leads for EMS jobs that way as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom