Little Cayman Trip Report – 23-26.Jan.2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lovely pics! I hope those lionfish were captured!!! We saw 2 last year on the Brac. Managed to catch one. What was the name of the house you rented?

Sadly we were not permitted to catch them. From what I was told there is a class that not only teaches safety when dealing with them, but also how to corner and catch them. We were doing what we could to mark and or report the sightings to local dive operations so they could retrieve them at a later time.

Great report and pics Brandon! Makes my withdrawals even worse. :wink:

I don't like going off site when everything could easily be copy/pasted into a thread but I finally went and looked.

I'm jealous about the grouper. Our diving started on January 31st and the only thing the grouper were interested in were other grouper! I guess it was cool to see such large schools (one was counted at 38) go swimming by though. Is the small chimney you mentioned near Randy's Gazebo? The opening to that thing was quite daunting. I will check out the video when I have proper bandwidth again. The significant other is currently uploading his own videos of our trip.

Yea the chimney was at Randy's Gazebo. From what I was told about this time every year the Grouper get ready to spawn... you were probably seeing them heading out to the spawning grounds. We saw several schools of them also.

Sorry its posted on my blog, its made it easier to update little things as I think of them. Also I dont know how to imbed vimeo videos here....

I was there in January last year (and missed running into Bruce) when the grouper were getting ready for their spawn.

One of them was VERY interested in me, swimming fast towards me as soon as I in the area and kept swimming into and around me.

I wrote "I must be ready to spawn" on my wetnotes and my dive buddy laughed so hard, so lost her reg.

Brandon,

You look very comfortable in the water and your pictures are very nice, some of them have spectacular vivid color.

I also like some of the pics they took of you in blue water, there appears to be zero particulates floating around and viz looks awesome.

What was your max dept, how about temps? Were you using a 3mm?

One particular pic really interested me, I didn't know that the Royal Gramma stays within close proximity to the Morey eel, I wonder if they have a symbiotic relationship with them?

In captivity I have not seem them exhibit this type of behavior.

Thanks for sharing...

Now get back into cold water before you make me want to fly back to Boynton beach Florida to visit my mom and dive... :)

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom