Little cayman or grand turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two for March/April 2014. I have been to both but has been 10 years. Usually go to Cozumel and Provo T&C in Caribean and want to try something different this time. Has anyone done both recently? How would you rate them as far as corals and fish life? I prefer bigger animals and a lot of life which I know neither is famouse for but want the best in the Caribbean and not the Pacific this trip. Thanks for your input.

Gianster

I did Grand Turk in 2011 . It was by far the healthiest Coral I have seen in years . Comparing to Bonaire , Cozumel , Roatan and Bahamas .
Not many big animals other than the odd Nurse Shark .
Other divers on the boat claimed that Bloody Bay Wall was much better than Grand Turk Wall . It really makes me want to see Bloody Bay Wall for myself as I thought Grand Turk wall was stunning .
You obviously cant go wrong with either , enjoy

We were in Grand Turk last April and it was a wonderful week. Beautiful laid back island, great diving, everyone there is a diver and Mitch and Audrey at Blue Water Divers provided great service and were just wonderful. I would go back. Better than Coz. I've never been to Cayman. On par with Roatan but different. Walls rather than gardens.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 02:30 PM ----------

If it's rays and turtles you're after try Barbados.

I just got back from Little Cayman on Saturday. I have been several times before but did we hit it right last week. The seas was flat as glass for several days and Bloody Bay Wall was, like usual, excellent diving. The fish and coral life are really healthy and we saw very few lionfish this trip. I'd say we saw nurse sharks on about half the dives and turtles almost every dive. Even saw a couple of spotted eagle rays last week.

We did a liveaboard in the Turks & Caicos earlier this year and that area was great as well but I think the diving off Little Cayman along Bloody Bay Wall is as good as it gets in the Caribbean. I can highly recommend the Little Cayman Beach Resort as well. Great resort, rooms, staff, food, and diving staff. One of the few places I could go back to each year.

Little Cayman beach resort is my favorite place I have been. I have been there for 5 1 week-long trips. It is harder to get to but that is probably why it is not over-dove like Grand Cayman. I have only been to Grand Turk once. A nice thing in Grand Turk is that you can practically swim to the wall from the beach. But there are not as many nice places to stay in Grand Turk. Little Cayman Beach resort is rustic, but the rooms are quite nice. Everything is walking distance. The food is great -- the chef used to be a French pastry chef so the desserts are fabulous. Between the two, I would pick Little Cayman.

Looks like more LC diving fans than Gt. The two resorts would be Bohio on Gt or Little Cayman Beach Resort on Lc. At Bohio we could possibly see whales as we would be there at the tail end of the season march 29th. Another positive is smaller boat and less divers and the beach looks a lot nicer at Bohio. On the other hand LC is guaranteed to 3 dives a day and better all round dive infrastructure.

Just got back from LCBR and had an awesome time. As others have said, turtles on every dive. Grouper on most dives and had a 5' reef shark cruise right by us on the wall at 104'. Beautiful coral, I got some great pics. Very quiet and secluded.

Two of my favorite things about Little Cayman:
1. The friendly groupers -- if you point out a hole in the coral, they will go and look in it. If you point out a squirrel fish, they will follow you everywhere (you are their new hunting partner). If you are looking into a hole or space in the coral, they will often come up and sit right next to your face as if to say, "What are you looking at? Can I see???" They also will situate themselves right under the boat when everyone is first diving in as if to say "Welcome to my territory!"
2. The covered hammocks on the beach near the water with ropes that you can pull to make the hammock rock.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 02:19 PM ----------

Some of the divemasters I met at LCBR used to be divemasters in Thailand and they all told me that they thought the diving in Little Cayman was better than Thailand.

I forgot to mention about the groupers in LCBR -- they love to be petted on their sides and scratched under their chins.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom