Where to go? trying to quickly book something for September 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsyteng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks! I've got a little time off before I start my new job in October, so trying to book a solo dive trip in early/mid September. I'm located in Massachusetts. I'm AOW and Nitrox certified, with close to 100 dives under my belt.

Trying to decide among: Little Cayman, Grand Turk, Costa Rica, and Cabo San Lucas

LC: been there once in 2003, so remember it well. Also know the Little Cayman Beach Report reliably has afternoon dives, which is good because I want to squeeze as many dives in as possible.

GT: dove in Provo before, but hear GT is even better with shorter boat rides to the wall. Read it's pretty boring topside (which is fine), but curious as to what people think of the diving. Heard afternoon dives aren't always available, which could be a deal-breaker for me.

CR: I've only dove in the Pacific once (French Polynesia), so I'm interested in seeing something besides the Caribbean again. I read CR isn't that great for a dive-only destination. Coral isn't the focus and it's more about the bigger life, but heard viz can be iffy. Seems like the trip to the major dive spots are a hike from the int'l airport, too. Wish I could do Cocos but don't have enough time to book it.

CSL: heard viz can be iffy, and also no much in way of coral or anything else besides bigger life. Wish I could book Socorros but like Cocos too short of a notice.

Bottom line: I've dove all over Caribbean and have pretty much seen it all, but want to try something different. But CR and CSL have some downsides which makes me wonder if it's worth the trip. Never been to Bonaire, but it doesn't seem much more interesting than Coz/Cay/Turks . . .

Would love to hear views and opinions, thank you in advance!

Bonaire. Weather is perfect. No issues with cancellations. A few weeks back there were cheap flights from BOS in September. Shore or boat dive all day every day. Lots of coral, moderate tropicals, not too much big fish.

Easy, easy shore or boat diving.

Screenshot_20220802-091838_Weather.jpg

If you are starting your new job very close in time to the end of your vacation you might want to plan for the possibility of being COVID trapped in another country.

Isla Providencia, Colombia.
Corn Islands, Nicaragua
Santa Rosa, Colombia
San Andres, Colombia
Mahahual, Mexico
Tulum, Mexico
Azores, Portugal
Malta, ermm... Malta

Silfra, Iceland if you like diving in a straight line.

Are you totally ruling out liveaboards? I did a Turks and Caicos liveaboard and loved it.

Flights are insanely expensive right now. I *might* be able to take some time off in a couple weeks and the only place I could find a reasonably priced last minute flight to was Belize so that's my tentative plan.

checked out the Aggressor site. Looks like I could book a Cocos liveaboard trip in mid-September. . . did not think that could be possible on short notice! Hmmm . . . .

Bonaire. Weather is perfect. No issues with cancellations. A few weeks back there were cheap flights from BOS in September. Shore or boat dive all day every day. Lots of coral, moderate tropicals, not too much big fish.

Easy, easy shore or boat diving.

View attachment 736549
Do you think Bonaire will be much diff from Coz/Cay/Turks, but with no walls? I know Bonaire has a great rep and is considered super pristine (with unlimited short dives), but I'm more concerned about seeing the same stuff over and over again.

How do you feel about cold water, British Columbia, and the US Pacific Coast have some interesting diving and potential for epic road trip.

Could probably get a last minute deal on a Galapagos live aboard.

Bonaire is more about a type of diving (i.e.: independent shore diving freedom) rather than superior diving (to, oh, say, Little Cayman).

Have you considered the Goliath grouper aggregation out of Jupiter, FL, or shark feeding dives out of Jupiter, or deep offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks out of Morehead City, NC? Or California diving, such as the Channel Islands? If you want different, any of those could deliver it.

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire
8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends
2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - My Notes for Researching My California Dive Trip A lot has changed in California in the wake of the Conception disaster, and it's not tropical diving, but kelp and sea lions are quite a bit different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom