Little Cayman in mid Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see that the weight restrictions on Cayman Air from GC to LC is 55 lbs, total checked bags, that's two bags total, and one carry on at no more than 15 lbs? Is that correct? Because of this I will not take my camera.

Any opinons on Litttle Cayman Beach Resort in February and the onsite Dive Op, Reef Divers?

Any bugs that time of year? Any recommendations on what to see uw, dive sites, and after diving?

Thanks

Take less clothing but do take your camera. Great vis and a lot of photo ops!

carrie, I'm not a big clothes person on dive trips, shorts, sandals and a clean tee shirt per day. I now see where they are restricting batteries in checked bags, as per Undercurrent? The ban is on lithium but my batteries are nickel-metal hydrate. Not sure if that counts as well?

Any recommendations on sites aw and uw?

I see that the weight restrictions on Cayman Air from GC to LC is 55 lbs, total checked bags, that's two bags total, and one carry on at no more than 15 lbs? Is that correct? Because of this I will not take my camera.

Any opinons on Litttle Cayman Beach Resort in February and the onsite Dive Op, Reef Divers?

Any bugs that time of year? Any recommendations on what to see uw, dive sites, and after diving?

Thanks

55 pounds has always been the weight limit, not just on the Cayman Express flights but on Island Air before them. However, the charge for excess baggage is only $0.50/lb., which in the grand scheme of things is insignificant. Take whatever you want to take, but keep your charge card handy when you check in on Grand Cayman.

IMHO, February is the best time of year to dive on Little Cayman. The past two winters, which were unusually warm winters, the water temperature was 79F. For the 8 years prior to that, I logged 77F during February--at least until near the end of the month, when the water started warming. Visibility is invariably excellent that time of year. It's in the dry season, so there's very little chance of rain. However, there are occasional fronts which come down from the north with strong northerly winds. When that happens, the boats cannot go around to the north wall and have to stay on the south side. I once checked my log (I used to work as a DM at LCBR and so went out every day) and found that the longest stretch in my log where we could not get over to the north wall was only 4 days.

Ditch the clothes, you can buy tshirts there. TAKE THE CAMERA!!!!!

Thanks for that great info. I'll be staying at Little Cayman Beach Resort - how are they? and diving with the onsite dive op, Reef Divers, how are they? Is it a long, rough ride to dive sites?

55 pounds has always been the weight limit, not just on the Cayman Express flights but on Island Air before them. However, the charge for excess baggage is only $0.50/lb., which in the grand scheme of things is insignificant. Take whatever you want to take, but keep your charge card handy when you check in on Grand Cayman.

IMHO, February is the best time of year to dive on Little Cayman. The past two winters, which were unusually warm winters, the water temperature was 79F. For the 8 years prior to that, I logged 77F during February--at least until near the end of the month, when the water started warming. Visibility is invariably excellent that time of year. It's in the dry season, so there's very little chance of rain. However, there are occasional fronts which come down from the north with strong northerly winds. When that happens, the boats cannot go around to the north wall and have to stay on the south side. I once checked my log (I used to work as a DM at LCBR and so went out every day) and found that the longest stretch in my log where we could not get over to the north wall was only 4 days.

Ditch the clothes, you can buy tshirts there. TAKE THE CAMERA!!!!!

It's tempting but I hate all the fussing with batteries and chargers to take a photo of something that duplicates the hundreds of pics I've taken other places. Nah, gonna go the easy way this time.

No matter what you bring, or leave behind, you will have the most wonderful time. LCBR is incredible, the staff are most accommodating, the food excellent (if Anthony is still the chef). The dive op is well run and the DM and captains quite friendly. Prepare to be spoiled! Highlights of our trip in July were seahorses, lots of spotted eagles rays, and a reef shark. Couldn't recommend one dive site over another, they were all spectacular in their own way. Topside, make sure to borrow one of the bikes provided and just tool around. Going back this June, can't wait. Have fun!

That is so great to hear. Thanks for that. I am sooooooooo open for spoilage. :D

No matter what you bring, or leave behind, you will have the most wonderful time. LCBR is incredible, the staff are most accommodating, the food excellent (if Anthony is still the chef). The dive op is well run and the DM and captains quite friendly. Prepare to be spoiled! Highlights of our trip in July were seahorses, lots of spotted eagles rays, and a reef shark. Couldn't recommend one dive site over another, they were all spectacular in their own way. Topside, make sure to borrow one of the bikes provided and just tool around. Going back this June, can't wait. Have fun!

What week in June? We will be there Jun 14 - 21.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom