Little Cayman Beach Resort vs. Pirates Point Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcmiller10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Happy New Year everyone!

Doing investigation on a trip to Little Cayman this spring/summer. I've reviewed posts on Little Cayman Beach Resort and Pirates Point Resort and wanted to get some feedback on trying to choose between the two.

Little Cayman Beach resort - 2 a.m. dives/1 p.m. dive. Read some older posts that the DM's are really strict on following their dive profiles....didn't know if this was an old issue or if you're allowed to dive your own profile. Also read some posts that it can sometimes be like a cattle boat with 18+ people. Food and room arrangements feedback looks ok from what I've read lately.

Pirates Point Resort - smaller place that does 2 dives per day. Their website says that the dives are "extended" so I'm assuming they let you dive past the 60 minutes norm. What is their limit??? 500 psi? How are the dives set up (i.e., 1 dive in am./1 day in pm). Food reviews look incredible.

Reviewing my logs from trips to Grand Cayman the deepest dive I did was around 75 ft. Is that about average in Little Cayman (besides the wall)?

We've done CocoView (Roatan) and Utopia Village (Utilla) to give you an idea on our experience with middle of the road vs. Valet diving resorts....we really don't have to have a Valet experience as we're fine dealing with our own gear etc. Don't need a 5 dive day, but two dives a day may be a hard sell for my husband.

I'm also looking at Cayman Brac as we plan to do a two week trip (one week on each island)....will post a separate thread to solicit feedback. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!!

-Kristin

@KathyV will fill you in better than I can...but we have stayed on LCB and later this month Brac diving both times with Reef Divers whom I cant say enough good things about....You can dive your own profile..usually 60 minutes though...if you dont want them to carry your BC to the back of the boat to don, just tell them...they will lead the dive, but you can go left if the group goes right...your call.

Never used/stayed at PP?

I have never stayed at Pirates Point but it has a good reputation and many loyal fans. My understanding is that divers are driven to the boat by van, and that you only get 2 dives per day but they can be long dives.

The Pirates Point restaurant often receives high praise for their gourmet food services, but the choices are limited to a daily prix fixe menu, so there may be only one entrée offered for dinner. Anyway, that's what I've heard but I don't know from personal experience. See below for an article describing recent updates to the resort:
Pirates Point Resort gets a facelift | Cayman Compass

We really love the Little Cayman Beach Resort and Reef Divers. The resort is clean and modern and pleasant and the staff are great. Everything is included except dive op tips - and alcoholic beverages - unless you buy a drinks package, or buy a bottle and mix your own. There is even a nice little spa at the resort (and also at the CBBR) where you can get a massage and other services.

It's true that the divemasters instruct you to do 50 minutes on the first dive and 60 minutes on the second, but if you want longer dives just get ready quickly and be among the first to splash. They don't mind if you have a longer dive, as long as you stay safe and don't keep everyone else hanging around waiting. You have the option to follow the DM or go off on your own. In our experience the divemasters have been friendly, easy-going but safety-minded.

We love the valet diving because they take care of the heavy equipment, but they will leave your stuff alone if you prefer. You just walk down to the dock to board the boat so no getting into a van. The rinse tanks and drying shed are nearby when you get back to the dock. Everything is easy and efficient and pleasant.

The Reef Divers boats are very big and roomy and they run an efficient operation, so they aren't cattle boats. I have never been on a packed boat with RD, but in November when we were at CBBR, a large dive club had booked up most of the rooms at the resort - with 60 divers - and they were all assigned to 3 boats, so they looked pretty tight to me! But that is what they wanted and nobody complained. Since we were not part of the club, we were on the 4th boat with a handful of other divers and we were not crowded at all!

The food is served buffet style but it is really very tasty and plentiful with lots of choices, and they are currently finishing up renovations to expand the dining room at LCBR.

We love both LCBR and CBBR and think that they are both great options for a dive vacation, but perhaps someone else that has stayed at PP and can give you more information.

If you book two Clearly Cayman resorts back to back, they might give you a break on pricing or offer some extra options. They have a package called the Cayman Expedition (see link below) that includes both LCBR and CBBR along with some extra dives and perks like free nitrox and free boat transfers between the 2 islands - but this package is only offered during limited dates in the Fall. It just occurred to me that they might put together some kind of special offer for you because they are promoting their 2 Sister Island resorts as a package deal - it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Have fun!

Cayman Expedition | Little Cayman Beach Resort

I have never stayed at Pirates Point but it has a good reputation and many loyal fans. My understanding is that divers are driven to the boat by van, and that you only get 2 dives per day but they can be rather long dives.

The Pirates Point restaurant often receives high praise for their gourmet food options, but the choices are limited to a daily prix fixe menu, so there may be only one entrée offered for dinner at night. Anyway, that's what I've heard but I don't know from personal experience. See below for an article describing recent updates to the resort:
Pirates Point Resort gets a facelift | Cayman Compass

We really love the Little Cayman Beach Resort and Reef Divers. The resort is clean and modern and pleasant and the staff are great. Everything is included except dive op tips - and alcoholic beverages - unless you buy a drinks package, or buy a bottle and mix your own. There is even a nice little spa at the resort (and also at the CBBR) where you can get a massage and other services.

It's true that the divemasters instruct you to do 50 minutes on the first dive and 60 minutes on the second, but if you want longer dives just get ready quickly and be among the first to splash. They don't mind if you have a longer dive, as long as you stay safe and don't keep everyone else hanging around waiting. You have the option to follow the DM or go off on your own. In our experience the divemasters have been friendly, easy-going but safety-minded.

We love the valet diving because they take care of the heavy equipment, but they will leave your stuff alone if you prefer. You just walk down to the dock to board the boat so no getting into a van. The rinse tanks and drying shed are nearby when you get back to the dock. Everything is easy and efficient and pleasant.

The Reef Divers boats are very big and roomy and they run an efficient operation, so there aren't cattle boats. I have never been on a packed boat with RD, but in November when we were at CBBR, a large dive club had booked up most of the rooms at the resort - with 60 divers - and they were all assigned to 3 boats, so they looked pretty tight to me! But that is what they wanted and nobody complained. Since we were not part of the club, we were on the 4th boat with a handful of other divers and we were not crowded at all!

The food is served buffet style but it is really very tasty and plentiful with lots of choices, and they are currently finishing up renovations to expand the dining room.

We love both LCBR and CBBR and think that they are both great options for a dive vacation, but perhaps someone else that has stayed at PP and can give you more information.

If you book two Clearly Cayman resorts back to back, they might give you a break on pricing or some extra options. They have a package called the Cayman Expedition (see link below) that includes both LCBR and CBBR along with some extra dives and perks like free nitrox and free boat transfers between the 2 islands - but this package is only offered during limited dates in the Fall. It just occurred to me that they might put together some kind of special offer for you because they are promoting their Sister Island resorts as a package deal - it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Have fun!

Cayman Expedition | Little Cayman Beach Resort

Thanks for the feedback Kathy! I saw the cayman expedition promo but it's at the height of hurricane season. We live in FL with a house and a boat in the water, so leaving for an extended amount of time from August to November is pretty much out for us. I'll check regardless just to see if they can do anything for us.

If you don't mind I have a couple of other questions:

1. how have you gotten between the 2 islands? air or boat? We bring our own gear so we're looking at 3 suitcases minimum.

2. Does the Brac resort have mini-fridges in the rooms? There isn't much room/accommodation info on their website. I've seen some posts that say only some rooms have them, but it looks like all of the rooms are the same??

3. Does the Brac resort have coin laundry? trying to minimize the amount of clothes so if only one resort has laundry, thinking going their first so we have clean clothes for the 2nd week if that makes sense.

4. Looks like Cayman air has direct flights from Miami to both Brac and LC....do you have any experience with these flights?

1. how have you gotten between the 2 islands? air or boat? We bring our own gear so we're looking at 3 suitcases minimum.

4. Looks like Cayman air has direct flights from Miami to both Brac and LC....do you have any experience with these flights?

1. I'd assume you need to take a plane, but if you're staying at both resorts you can ask if maybe they can drop you off. This as boats from either resorts do once in a while dive on the 'other' island. For example the LC boat might do a dive on the Tibbets wreck on Brac, the Brac boats might do a dive on Blooody Bay Wall on LC. No guarantees however.

4. Yes from Miami to Brac. LC is only served by the Twin Otters, connecting either from Brac or Grand Cayman.

Thanks for the feedback Kathy! I saw the cayman expedition promo but it's at the height of hurricane season. We live in FL with a house and a boat in the water, so leaving for an extended amount of time from August to November is pretty much out for us. I'll check regardless just to see if they can do anything for us.

If you don't mind I have a couple of other questions:

2. Does the Brac resort have mini-fridges in the rooms? There isn't much room/accommodation info on their website. I've seen some posts that say only some rooms have them, but it looks like all of the rooms are the same??

3. Does the Brac resort have coin laundry? trying to minimize the amount of clothes so if only one resort has laundry, thinking going their first so we have clean clothes for the 2nd week if that makes sense.

Here are my answers to your questions, others may have different opinions or additional information.

We have never stayed back-to-back at both LCBR and CBBR. We usually spend a week on Grand Cayman and then a week on either Brac or Little. You will fly on Cayman Airways, usually from GCM to either Brac or Littte. The airport at Brac is larger and can accept jets, turboprops, and smaller planes like the Twin Otters. The small airport on LC can only handle small planes like the Twin Otters.

There was a couple staying at CBBR at the same time that we were there in November. They had just spent 5 days at LCBR and then transferred to CBBR for 5 more days. They took a Twin Otter from LC to CB - it is a very short flight!

The dive boats do sometimes travel between Brac and Little. When the weather cooperates divers at LCBR can sign up for an excursion over to Brac to dive the Tibbetts wreck, and divers at CBBR can travel over to LC to dive Bloody Bay Wall. Starting this year the 2 resorts will be offering 3 dives and lunch at the sister resort, at no extra charge. But only if the water is calm, they are not far away but they won't make the crossing if it is rough.

The Cayman Expedition package includes boat transfers for guests staying at both resorts. When you book you can ask about boat transfers but I think that you will most likely be flying between the Sister Islands.

Regarding baggage, you are limited to 50 pounds total when flying to Brac and Little, including carry-ons. Sometimes they are a little more generous about luggage (and carry-ons) when Brac is your destination because they have more flights and larger planes - but they are usually pretty strict about baggage when you are going to LC, especially in the fall and winter months when the days are shorter because the LC airport is not lighted and they can only fly during daylight hours.

When we were at LCBR in 2017, a fellow-traveler had a lot of camera equipment with him and he was charged per pound overweight for the excess baggage. So plan to pack light!

It is not unusual for a bag to be delayed during trips to the Sister Islands, especially LC. The bag usually shows up the next day but you should be prepared. There isn't overhead storage but I always carry a large purse that I can squish under the tiny seat in front of me on the Twin Otters and I make sure that it is packed with the essentials, including travel documents, medications, contact lenses, swimsuits, a change of undies, C-cards, log book, and whatever else I can jam in there.

On our last trip to LC, one of our bags was delayed but we had the essentials in my purse; and the hotel staff kindly laundered our outer clothes for free so we were able to get by pretty easily.

Another couple had the bag with all their gear delayed for one day, but the dive op loaned them free equipment until their stuff arrived.

Yes, many rooms have mini-refrigerators but not every room. We always ask for one when we make our reservations and we usually get it, but one time we had to request one and they brought it to us promptly. All the rooms have coffeepots and supplies. There are ice buckets in the rooms and ice machines for guest use at both resorts.

It's the same for the standard rooms at LCBR, but they have a few suites that are larger and have mini-kitchens at an extra cost. But I am told that some of the suites are close to the compressor where the tanks are filled and can be noisy, so if you decide to go for one of the larger rooms be sure to ask for a quiet location.

They do have a coin-op washer and dryer for guest use at CBBR - they may only take Caymanian coins (or tokens) but I am sure that they will make change for you at the desk. At both resorts you can ask for a plastic laundry bag to fill with dirty clothes and the hotel staff will launder, dry, and fold the items for you. I can't remember how much they charged but it wasn't bad. You are smart not to bring many clothes because of the limited luggage allowance.

There are some limited Cayman Air flights direct from MIA to Brac as Menno says, but not to LC; but you may be able to fly to Brac, go through immigrations and customs there and catch a connecting Twin Otter for the hop over to LC.

We always fly to GCM and then fly to the Sister Islands. You can book your own flights, but the booking agents at the Clearly Cayman resorts really know the nuances of the Cayman Airways flights, and flights into Cayman in general, and so we let them book all our flights for us. They do charge a fee but it isn't bad and we can count of them to get the best options.

We are coming all the way from the Midwest and one advantage of having them book all our flights is that they can put it all on one ticket - I have never been able to do that when flying outside the US. We learned the hard way that if you book flights on separate tickets and there is a delay with one leg of your trip, the other airlines don't know (or care) about your delay. But if they are all on the same ticket they will make adjustments and try to assist you. But since you are only traveling from Florida, that may not be an issue for you.

We have always chosen to stay at LCBR because of concerns re Pirate's about 2 vs 3 dives per day, limited food choices, and having to be driven to the boat rather than just walking out to the dock. You do not need a lot of dressy clothing for Little Cayman or Brac. Shorts and t shirts will do fine. As Kathy says, pack light.

The LCBR and Brac Beach boats are Newton 42 or 46 so even with a full boat (18 divers) you do not feel crowded. Further, I have never found the DMs to be overly strict or unreasonable.

There is another dive resort on LC, the Southern Cross. We have never stayed or dived there but we stopped there and had a drink and looked around. It seemed nice and it was quiet and a bit upscale. If you are concerned about large groups of divers you might also want to take a look at SC.

LCBR and CBBR are perfect for us and we love them, but it is always good to investigate your options!

@BDSC has stayed at Pirates Point and he shared information about it the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8240946/

@wildbill9 is a repeat visitor to Southern Cross resort and you can read his trip report here:
Little Cayman trip report-Southern Cross

I've never personally stayed at Southern Cross as the price differential always seems to be about @1000 pp.
The place looks beautiful and gets very high ratings on the web. and I know several of the DMs who are outstanding.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the dive lodges on LC.

Keep in mind when worrying about baggage limits that the fee on the Cayman Express flights to and from LC and between LC and CB is only $0.50 per pound that you are over the limit. So even being 20# over is only a $10 extra cost. I pack more for whatever limits I have on the flights to and from the US and don't worry much about the fees on the twin otter flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom