Little Cayman Beach Resort vs. Pirates Point Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind when worrying about baggage limits that the fee on the Cayman Express flights to and from LC and between LC and CB is only $0.50 per pound that you are over the limit. So even being 20# over is only a $10 extra cost. I pack more for whatever limits I have on the flights to and from the US and don't worry much about the fees on the twin otter flights.

That's good to know, the photographer guy that I overheard being charged for overweight at LCM was paying a lot more than that. I am not sure but I seem to recall that it was around $80 or $90, so he must have had a lot of gear! And I suppose the conversion factor between CID and USD was also a factor.

Having been there 5 times, I enthusiastically second all the rave reviews regarding LCBR—super friendly, super laid back, great dives and DMs, big boats, good food, great bar, I could go on! The only reason they try to manage the morning dives to about 50 and about 60 is so that the boats can get back in time for everyone to get lunch and be back on board around 2 pm for the afternoon dive. And yes, very very casual dress, most guys wear shorts and a t most days. There’s also a night dive offered on Thursdays but they need 6 divers (last I checked) to go out. Can’t recommend the place highly enough.

Yeah, I think the baggage fees applied to flights to Brac on the 737 are higher, but you have a higher limit as well. My wife and I usually are 20-30 pounds over (mostly due to all our camera gear), but now that we can fly Southwest to GC, there isn't a problem avoiding baggage fees on the trip down.

Also, I think there's some discretion as to whether they actually charge you for overweight baggage. My wife and I were there a couple of weeks ago and had ≈140# across 3 bags and carry-on that was > 15#. Nobody said anything on either leg of this trip. Ditto our two previous times to LCBR.

We usually run a few pounds over each way but I've on occasion I've gone with my SLR housing, and lenses pushing 30 lb. over. Never been charged.

Also, I think there's some discretion as to whether they actually charge you for overweight baggage. My wife and I were there a couple of weeks ago and had ≈140# across 3 bags and carry-on that was > 15#. Nobody said anything on either leg of this trip. Ditto our two previous times to LCBR.

Very true. Typically we do not get charged on the trip over from GC to LC, but we nearly always get charged on the trip back to GC.

We usually run a few pounds over each way but I've on occasion I've gone with my SLR housing, and lenses pushing 30 lb. over. Never been charged.

I've had similar experiences, baggage weight isn't always a concern but sometimes it is an issue; but we have experienced baggage delays, usually just one bag delayed for a day - that's why I stuff my purse with the absolute essentials.

It's also our experience that charging for extra weight to LC is random. Rarely/never when leaving GC, sometimes on return. So that $0.50/pound probably averages out to $0.10/pound over time. I'm not sure if they're more likely to charge at certain times (busy day, boring day, weekend) or if it's completely random. Lots of reasons to try to pack light including increasing odds of your luggage traveling with you, but the $ is not worth worrying about for most people.

In my experience, if you are leaving little Cayman on a Saturday am flight where they might ask you to pack and send a bag early, that's basically free weight. Ditto if they are really full and you have a bag delayed to a later flight. Seems like they won't add insult to injury by both making you pay extra and inconveniencing you.

I miss the days back when the runway was unpaved, and especially the time I sat next to a shipment of live chickens...

...but we have experienced baggage delays, usually just one bag delayed for a day - that's why I stuff my purse with the absolute essentials.

In our experience, LCBR is great about comping gear if your bags arrive the next morning. We haven't missed any dives and our bags are there when we return from the first morning two-tank. We've had it happen a couple of times over the years, so it is a possibility. Definitely a good idea to put your DC and prescription mask (if you have one; we're old so we do :)) in your carry-on. We usually go in the summer so we rarely wear wetsuits, but we do put a couple of skins in our carry-ons as well.

It's also our experience that charging for extra weight to LC is random. Rarely/never when leaving GC, sometimes on return. So that $0.50/pound probably averages out to $0.10/pound over time. I'm not sure if they're more likely to charge at certain times (busy day, boring day, weekend) or if it's completely random. Lots of reasons to try to pack light including increasing odds of your luggage traveling with you, but the $ is not worth worrying about for most people.

In my experience, if you are leaving little Cayman on a Saturday am flight where they might ask you to pack and send a bag early, that's basically free weight. Ditto if they are really full and you have a bag delayed to a later flight. Seems like they won't add insult to injury by both making you pay extra and inconveniencing you.

I miss the days back when the runway was unpaved, and especially the time I sat next to a shipment of live chickens...

We tried to pack and ship a bag back a day early as usual during our recent trip to CBBR and they told us that the airport isn't doing that anymore. It's too bad because it was convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom