Trip Report Little Cayman Beach Resort: Trip Report April 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it would be a problem but I have no experience asking for something else. I always found something I wanted. They always had a meat and fish offered. Contact Jen and ask her, they chef came by every meal to see how everything was, I made a small request almost in jest (love your soup at lunch wish it was available at dinner) and he made sure there was some at dinner. Really outstanding meals every time (And I am picky). Dinner is not a buffet like lcbr, I have never had a buffet that impressed me. SC is our favorite place in the Caribbean, hand down. And you didn't even ask about the diving which is really what sets it apart. 10 to 12 people max on a boat with 3 dive masters. No cattle call. But that is not what u ask. Check with them on you eating preferences, my money says it will not be a problem

We got in the habit of going to LCBR, because way back when that opened, Southern Cross Club wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. I've since considered trying SCC but the thing that stops me is food - while I've heard it's good, there appears to be less variety than at LCBR, presumably because it's a much smaller place. Looks heavy on fish, which my other half doesn't eat. And not so good on veg options. How flexible are they with making other meals for people? (I did ask them this once upon a time, and never got an answer.)

My daughter is a vegetarian and she and I will be there in a few weeks. We've notified them in advance of her dietary preferences...I'll let you know it goes.

I always find the dive group size thing a bit funny on LC. I have been on the LCBR boats with up to 18 people and never felt particularly crowded. They are 42-46 feet long and have a 2nd deck overhead with lots of seating. How can you feel crowded? I set my gear down, then head up the ladder to the top and never feel crowded during the ride to or from the sites. I guess maybe it is the way I like to dive that makes me not notice it underwater. I love diving from moored locations with little or no current. It allows me to dive any direction I want without having to follow a group, without having to slavishly go where the DM wants to lead me, and at whatever pace my wife and I choose to swim. So I carefully watch the dive briefings and see where the DM is directing everybody to go, I position myself near the back of the boat with my mask and fins in my hand during the briefing, and when they say "pool is open", I am one of the first 3 or 4 people at the ladder ready to go in...and then swim the opposite direction of the group in most cases. Navigation is VERY easy on most LC dive sites, so why do you need to follow somebody else? They draw you a map of the site before you go in! When I get back, I put my gear away, grab my water bottle out of the cooler, towel off a bit, then head back up the ladder...voila! no crowds again.

The most recent TA review of LCBR is from a traveler who complains about the size of the dive groups and how long the diver had to wait in the water for the DM to enter. That to me explains a common mistake. The divers who are used to drift diving in places like Cozumel, where everybody has to wait on a DM/guide and has to stay together as a group are the ones who I can understand having a misplaced concern about having 12+ on a boat. But if you want to dive following a DM, just wait and let the thundering herd enter the water ahead of you and be the last one in the water...the DM is coming in right behind you, so you won't have to wait on anybody else. I think people who have never been diving anywhere from moored locations like LC don't understand that they don't have to follow a group. I see reviews where people complain that the DM was only doing a 40 min dive and then they had nobody to show them anything. LOOK AROUND! There is stuff everywhere. Train yourselves to look for things! Once you know where critters live and what kinds of places they like to hide, you can go and find them yourselves. I almost never follow a DM on LC unless there is something they have pointed out during the briefing that I have never seen and really want to not miss. In that case, I will make a note of where they say it is, then go do my dive and make sure I am at that location about the time the DM finally gets there. I see what/where it is, then I am off in another direction to go find other things to see. My wife and I both love the thrill of the hunt underwater and finding things for ourselves. Swimming around in a little herd of 8-12 divers waiting for my turn for a DM to point into a hole for me to see (insert critter here) just holds zero appeal for me. I would much rather dive my own dive and find my own fun, and be back at the boat under my own navigation at the appointed time. But maybe it is just me...

Last edited:
+1 for this ^^^ I generally get an extra 10+ min per dive (without upsetting the crew or boat schedule) by being the first in and last out and doing my own thing during the dive. Easy navigation and excellent dive briefings. Easy peasy diving. Bloody Bay Marine Park is special. :)

Same strategy for me. I find the bow of the boat to be a great place to escape as well.

Was there a luggage weight restriction on flight over?

Yes, From GC to LC on the twin otter, I believe it is 2 checked bags, up to 55# total (both bags combined) per person and one carryon up to 15#. However, if you are over the weight limit, it is only $0.50 per pound. Do be aware that there are no overhead bins and almost no underseat space in the twin otter, so your carryon will be on your lap for the duration of the flight from GC to LC. I typically carry a pelican case carryon down to GC with my electronics and camera gear, but then check it for the flight over to LC because there is no way I would want it on my lap or under my feet for the whole flight.

I am trying to remember, but I think last time I went through, I actually carried the pelican case through security and out to the tarmac, but then handed it off to the ground crew before boarding the plane and was able to watch them put it in the rear hold. That might be an option for bags you are hesitant to check.

Just a heads up. Your baggage doesn't always make it on the same twin otter as you. I try not to book the last flight of the day to LC for this reason. LCBR is good at getting your bags to you if they are on a separate flight, but if you're booked on the last flight you might have to dive in rental gear on the first morning boat. It happened to some folks I was traveling with a couple of years ago. LCBR comped them the gear and their bags were at their room when we returned from the morning two tanker. A good reason to have your PDC and prescription mask (if you use one) in your carryon.

That is a very generous allowance. I've not had a weight problem even when taking all my gear, 2 wetsuits and a SLR camera outfit and case.
You don't need a lot of clothing for LC. Bathing suits, t shirts, jeans and toiletries is all. Remember to put at least toothbrush, bathing suit and dive mask in your carry on as it sometimes takes a day for the airline to get all the bags across and you do not want to miss a morning or day of diving.

Aggie is correct. You can take your camera case through security as carry on and then load onto the plane on the tarmac if you wish.

Six weeks and I can add my 2cents to this thread :drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom