Trip Report Little Cayman Beach Resort: Trip Report April 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just got back from LCBR after a one week stay there.

We stayed in a "pool view" room which was more than adequate. Clean, well appointed with a comfortable king size bed, mini fridge, coffee maker, flat screen TV, hairdryer and safe. There was no mold or mildew and there was maid service and fresh towels daily.

The food was quite good for an isolated location.

Daily breakfasts included an omelet station, multiple pre prepared choices, bagels, lox and cream cheese, and a selection of fresh fruits and juices, as well as muffins and other pastries.

Lunch was quite good and included several salad and main course choices as well as soup. If there was nothing to your taste, there was also a sandwich bar with good quality cold cuts, sliced tomatoes, cheeses, lettuce etc.

The dinners were excellent with each night having a theme, Italian, Caribbean, seafood, BBQ, etc. There was always a choice of, soup, several salads and at least 3 entrees including meat, fish, fowl. Deserts at lunch and dinner were excellent with multiple cake and pastry options. A lot of folks went back to the buffet for seconds and thirds. If there was someone with food allergies or other special needs, they were well looked after by the chef.
The dining area includes an indoor air conditioned space as well as a screened in outdoor area. On BBQ night there were tables set out all around the pool. Quite nice.

The bar area is by the pool and the service, prices and quality of the specialty drinks were excellent.
There is a trivia night, bingo night and trivia night weekly. All were fun if you could manage to stay up.

The dive operation is first rate with a 2 tank boat dive each am, one tank pm and night dives offered twice weekly. The boats leave and return on schedule.

The boats are Newton 42 and 46s and are very well maintained and roomy There is plenty of cover from sun and rain. Boats all had fresh water showers, camera tables, ice water and snacks on board. We had 14-18 divers every day except one when they shoved 24 on to our boat which, IMO, is too many for what is supposed to be a high end operation.

The DMs were all outstanding and provided assistance if needed, fixes for minor gear problems and very detailed briefings for each site dived. I didn't use ant rental gear but it looked to be well maintained Scubapro BCs and Regs.

The usual drill was for a 50 minute deep dive on either Jackson's or Bloody Bay wall with a 100 foot max depth limit. You could go with a guide or on your own as long as you were back on the boat on time.
After a 45 minute interval, there would be 60 minute 60 foot max second wall dive at another site. Afternoons were single tank 60/60. I never felt pressured or rushed and went beyond recommended time several times. The only rigid rule was no decompression diving. If you went into deco mode, it would be the end of your dive day. Computers were provided for anyone without and nitrox was available for an additional $15 per tank. Overall, the divers all were quite experienced and respectful of the reefs and each other.

The walls on Little Cayman are in very good condition for the Caribbean and the sponges, corals and soft corals are healthy and prolific.
The fish include all the usual Caribbean suspects but the number of large fish including Nassau, Black and Tiger Groupers is particularly impressive. We saw Eagle Rays on many dives, too many Hawksbill Turtles to count and the occasional Loggerhead. There were a few Reef Sharks off the wall and we encountered 2 Nurse Sharks. There were large schools of Grunts, Chubs and Jacks seen.

There were very few Lionfish.

Overall, an excellent experience as always; and my family and I will be back again. Of all the places we dive in the Caribbean, this continues to be our favorite.

Thanks for the great trip report, we will be heading there in the fall and I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks..were booked!

Thanks for the report. Heading there for 2 weeks over x-mas and new years. Booked 3 dives daily. Free nitrox is a huge savings !

...The usual drill was for a 50 minute deep dive on either Jackson's or Bloody Bay wall with a 100 foot max depth limit. You could go with a guide or on your own as long as you were back on the boat on time.
After a 45 minute interval, there would be 60 minute 60 foot max second wall dive at another site. Afternoons were single tank 60/60. I never felt pressured or rushed and went beyond recommended time several times. The only rigid rule was no decompression diving....

I've only been to LCBR and dived with Reef Divers twice, once in 2010 and once in 2014. I found the boat crews reasonably flexible with dive times as long as you showed good judgment and were back on board soon following the last group. None of the crew ever commented on my dive times.Over all, in 35 dives, the average dive time was just under 64 minutes. First daily dives averaged a little over 62 minutes (57-68 minutes) and 2nd, 3rd, and night dives were just a little longer at a bit over 65 minutes (53-71 minutes). I did not go into deco.

Though you may have gas and deco time left at the end of the dives, the flexible hour dive times are a fair compromise to keep the boats on schedule. I would not be fearful that Reef Divers was going to severely limit my dive times. I have also dived with Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman twice, where there are no real dive time limits other than gas and NDL. My average dive times there were only slightly longer, 67 minutes (51-86 minutes)

Thanks a bunch. Heading there early Nov. Opinions on LCBR, southern cross, or pirates point?

I've stayed at LCBR many times and Southern Cross once. Never been to Pirates.

Southern Cross has better food, higher price and IMO, less ambience. diving is comparable.
Pirates, I gather only does a 2 tank AM dive which they advertise as "long", no PM dive.

Take your pick.

I am a Southern Cross fan....hands down our favorite Caribbean dive location. No is not in their vocabulary. 6 to 8 divers a boat. Book 3 dives a day and even if it's just you they will go out. Lodging better than anywhere else. Food exceptional Sure it costs a few bucks more but we are worth it. I read about 24 people on a boat and just shake my head. Between Mike and his dive staff and Jen and her shore staff .... well they are worth $500 for a week. The out door showered are worth that alone. Did I say food was exceptional?

We got in the habit of going to LCBR, because way back when that opened, Southern Cross Club wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. I've since considered trying SCC but the thing that stops me is food - while I've heard it's good, there appears to be less variety than at LCBR, presumably because it's a much smaller place. Looks heavy on fish, which my other half doesn't eat. And not so good on veg options. How flexible are they with making other meals for people? (I did ask them this once upon a time, and never got an answer.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom