List of drysuit candidates, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Matt,

I know it isn't on the list, but have you looked at a White's Fusion or Catalyst 360? The Fusion isn't out in a XL short yet, but the Catalyst is. If you are an XL Short, you will probably need a Medium King. This front entry suit is lighter than a neoprene suit and it comes with 4 different undergarments, for all kinds of drysuit diving. This suit is made in Victoria, BC and their customer service is pretty awesome.

The Fusion is extremely light and has the most flexibility of a suit I have ever seen. Again, this suit comes with all the undergarments, boots, bag etc.

Both suits would not require a custom, and you would have your new suit to dive in a week.

Again, another thought for you to consider.

I saw a Catalyst this weekend actually, looks nice. Unfortunately I need to stick with the brands I listed. It's a long story... Basically I have a gift certificate, so where I shop is limited. Therefore, so are the brands.

I'm a current Bare owner (multiple products) but it doesn't seem like their trilam is a better value than the Pinnacle, assuming quality is approximately the same... Getting pockets/suspenders put on the Bare will add a load to the price.

I saw a Catalyst this weekend actually, looks nice. Unfortunately I need to stick with the brands I listed. It's a long story... Basically I have a gift certificate, so where I shop is limited. Therefore, so are the brands.

I'm a current Bare owner (multiple products) but it doesn't seem like their trilam is a better value than the Pinnacle, assuming quality is approximately the same... Getting pockets/suspenders put on the Bare will add a load to the price.

They're both very nice suits. Your value idea, however, is crap if you're willing to work for 15 minutes. Suspenders can be added to a Bare suit for $3 (and they're nicer than what Bare sells IMO). Search the board. Pockets you can buy for $23 from Phil Ellis, and glue on yourself. $50 for pockets/suspenders is NOT a "load to the price". If you don't think you're capable of these very minor alterations, or just lazy, then sure, it probably costs more to have Bare do it. That said, I bet you could do it if you wanted. Just trying to point out that the "value" of the Pinnacle isn't as great as you make it out to be. Finally, and this comes from a HAPPY owner of a Bare suit, I'd get the Pinnacle Evo2 if it's the same price as the Bare HD. Like it better.

I know about the DIY suspenders, but don't you still need to get and install the tabs? Regardless, I am not adding pockets myself. I am all thumbs with that kind of thing, so I need to factor in the cost of having it done. A Bare bellows pocket with zipper is a $50 option at Divetank, so two of them do add up.

On the other hand, it sounds like Pinnacle is pretty backed up.

I need to do some reading on the Bare XCD2 also. I think the decision is really between it and the Pinnacle/Bare trilam suits.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I know about the DIY suspenders, but don't you still need to get and install the tabs? Regardless, I am not adding pockets myself. I am all thumbs with that kind of thing, so I need to factor in the cost of having it done. A Bare bellows pocket with zipper is a $50 option at Divetank, so two of them do add up.

On the other hand, it sounds like Pinnacle is pretty backed up.

I need to do some reading on the Bare XCD2 also. I think the decision is really between it and the Pinnacle/Bare trilam suits.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

All new Bare suits (as of about 2005) have the tabs pre-installed. Adding pockets is really simple. If you can apply glue, you're good to go. I'm sure there are lots of people around where you live who could help as well. That saves you half the cost.

The Bare I have is an XCD2. It'll be more robust than either the Evo2 or the HD. Nice suit, just not great to travel with. I fly to CA to see my gf (who dives) and bringing that suit was a bit of a pain. Bought a TLS for travel. That said, never had a problem with the XCD2 in the water. Great value as well.

All new Bare suits (as of about 2005) have the tabs pre-installed.

That is excellent, I thought they were an extra expense. $50 here and there starts to add up.

Adding pockets is really simple. If you can apply glue, you're good to go.

I'll consider it then. I assumed it was like installing seals, with lots of prep work and a special bottle of $60 glue. Anyway I would have to find the right pockets at the right price--no velcro--so the inexpensive XS Scuba pockets are out. I didn't see any zipper options among them. (Of course, the Pinnacle pockets are velcro. Ack. Maybe new gloves are a better idea than zipper pockets.)

The Bare I have is an XCD2. It'll be more robust than either the Evo2 or the HD. Nice suit, just not great to travel with. I fly to CA to see my gf (who dives) and bringing that suit was a bit of a pain.

That is very good to know, because I plan to travel with the suit too. I had hoped the XCD2 would be a good compromise but it must still be a bit bulky.

That is excellent, I thought they were an extra expense. $50 here and there starts to add up.

I'll consider it then. I assumed it was like installing seals, with lots of prep work and a special bottle of $60 glue. Anyway I would have to find the right pockets at the right price--no velcro--so the inexpensive XS Scuba pockets are out. I didn't see any zipper options among them.

That is very good to know, because I plan to travel with the suit too. I had hoped the XCD2 would be a good compromise but it must still be a bit bulky.

Matt, I'd STRONLY recommend velcro over zippered pockets. My Bare (bought used) came with one of each. The zippered pocked, in addition to being smaller (bad), is a real ***** to open. Add to that the potential to tear a zipper, and I just don't see the point. Velco is much easier to open, just as secure, and won't lock you out of your pocket. I hate the zippered pocket and will replace it some time in the near future. Both pockets on my new suit are velcro. As for the glue, it's just aquaseal. I'd suggest some cotol to clean the surface and make the aquaseal dry faster, but it's really cheap. Worth having around for repairs anyway.

As for the XCD2, it's not horrible to travel with, just not ideal. Really consider, though, where you'd be bringing the suit. If you won't be traveling too often, it isn't a big deal. If you're traveling every month, well...

Of the three you're considering, if I had to buy just one, I'd lean to the Evo2. Just my preference. All three, however, are great suits.

Hightide is one of the best drysuits on the market. Each one is custom made and a true joy to dive. As a professional diver I have dove just about all styles of drysuits and this is my favorite, I can honestly say that eveyone I know that have purchased one loves it.

Check out their website at http://www.hightidedrysuits.com/ and yes it's me on the front page.

I have dove the waters of the arctic ocean as high at the geographic north pole and I have done it in Hightide,DUI, Viking, and Gates dry suits and the Hightide was the only suit I can truthfully say I was warm in.

I am down on velcro pockets because it sticks to my gloves like crazy. Am I the only one with that problem?

(Kevin, everyone in my dive club raves about High Tide suits. They have quite a following up here. But to make a long story short it's not a brand I can consider right now.)

I am down on velcro pockets because it sticks to my gloves like crazy. Am I the only one with that problem?

It depends on the glove. One pair of my gloves sticks a bit, the others don't. Do you want pockets that stick a bit to some gloves, or pockets you can't seem to ever be able to get open?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom