Lionfish Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I have gone boat diving a number of times in recent weeks with various dive operators on island. If I can make a suggestion since i know many of them read this forum.

I am sure many "regular" divers would be more than willing to report sightings of lion fish. However, I am sure that many are 1) unaware of the problem and 2) not sure what they look like. Before the dive, it would probably take less than 1 minute to explain the issue at hand and show a color picture of a lionfish. That way, if a diver sees one, then it can be reported back.

My 2 cents.

M.

I dove the Oro Verde wreck on 6/9/09 and found one under one of the broken pieces of the hull. When we surfaced from my our dive, I told my dive operator about it and he was on the radio reporting it immediately.

He had advised us before each dive to keep our eyes open for them, but I never thought I would actually see one. I hope they "captured" that sucker! :lotsalove:

Keeping people informed is the way to go.

Well they reported it and so what??? :shakehead: On the same wreck (June 18th 2009) during my night dive I've seen that beautiful but harmful creature. It might have been the same one. It was exactly in that broken piece of the hull. In Bahamas there are tons of them... Maybe people should learn how to eat them by any chance neutralizing their poison. :tongue:

The cited article says:

Only a handful have been captured in Cayman Brac, mostly because the diving industry was so badly affected by Hurricane Paloma in November last year.

We just returned from two weeks on the Brac and the statement seems both correct and unfortunate.

Although they've mostly been inactive, Brac Reef ran three boats one week. But that is very unusual - they had made special arrangements for a group. They did find and remove some lionfish.

We dived with InDepth, who is the only active dive operator on Cayman Brac of which I am aware. They removed three lionfish while we were with them, including the two my wife found.

It is unfortunate that many miles of the reef are not dived, nor are the deeper depths visited. There are probably many hundreds of lionfish that will never be found. They'll just continue to grow, reproduce, spread and decimate. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom