Lionfish report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why they should carry a spear instead of a net, quick and easy and dinner is served.

TASTY!!! I know of a couple recipes as well :thumb:

A dive operator would have to come up with significant rebates in order to calm me if my dive consisted of watching a DM catching fish. If the country (and island) wants tourism in the form of divers then they need to find a better solution.

I want the problem dealt with but not while I am FORCED to dive with a DM. Let me dive my dive and allow the DM to focus on catching lunch.....that is a solution I can get behind.

You might be under estimating the skills of some of these DMs. On one dive two weeks ago we found two lionfish. The first one was captured less than 90 seconds after it was spotted. The second even more quickly including our DM requesting a DM from another Op to do the catching since he was out of bags.

2 1/2 minutes out of a 60+ minute dive.

Granted I don't have a terribly large sample draw from.....

- Mark

You might be under estimating the skills of some of these DMs. On one dive two weeks ago we found two lionfish. The first one was captured less than 90 seconds after it was spotted. The second even more quickly including our DM requesting a DM from another Op to do the catching since he was out of bags.

2 1/2 minutes out of a 60+ minute dive.

Granted I don't have a terribly large sample draw from.....

- Mark

FYI....I have no sample to draw from....just my opinion :D so you have more expereince wiht this than I do

If that is all it is then I would probably enjoy watching it however where does the DM/Operator draw the line? 5 minutes? 20 minutes? I am paying dearly for a service which I do not believe I need only because I am forced to. Why would I then welcome the opportunity to sit and wait for longer periods as the lionfish population grows and the DM's fish for more and more of them? Again, 2.5 minutes is one thing but if not curbed, there will be no end to it (IMO).

I think I have come up with Plan B:

The Monthly Cozumel Lionfish Rodeo

We already have a monthly thread covering everyone who will be diving in Coz that month. I propose a contest where all interested divers put up say $20 a head to enter. Whenever you spot a lionfish you point it out to the DM who will then attempt to capture it. Diver gets 1 point for a verified sighting and 2 points if it is captured. At the end of your trip, your dive op signs your log book showing points earned during the week and how many dives you logged. Highest number of average points per dive for the month wins the pot. Winners would be wise to share some of their winnings with their DM.

What better way to solve a problem than to make it a moneymaker?

Give divers some freedom and rent them a spear gun.....let them know they will end up in jail if they spear anything but a Lionfish and then let them go. $5 rebate off next dives per lionfish caught. It goes against all that is Cozumel but it would be more effective IMO than having divers do the usual "chase after a DM and hope the Lionfish is still there after they catch them and swim back against a current to point the fish out".

People dive all over the world without a DM......people spear all over the world. This way the diver still pays for the dive and thus the boat and briefing, but also the spear gun and the gooberment can reimburse the Operator for any (or part of any) rebates given to customers for lionfish killed because they are ensuring their tourism dollars will continue to come in once the Lionfish are eradicated.

once the Lionfish are eradicated.

First, I applaud all the creative ideas that have been offered in this thread. But I think one thing needs to be pointed out - the lionfish will never be eradicated. At least not in the foreseeable future and probably well beyond. The program that is eventually put in place will have to be a persistent, regular part of the diving activities in the park. Lionfish know no season, respect no territory and will migrate to wherever there's food, which is just about anything half it's size or smaller. Remember - they've just arrived, more are coming and when they're fully established the numbers around and outside of the park will never be controlled and are going to reach population densities similar to what is now occurring in The Bahamas. Like I said before, the park is going to be Fort Apache. Within the park they will have to be controlled daily or damage to the natural marine environment will occur as it has everywhere else. So, my recommendation is, when you're thinking about how to put in place some form of control, think daily, think long term, think more broadly than having the DMs do all the work. They alone just can't do it all and still do the other things they're responsible for.

......once the Lionfish are eradicated.

A dramatic statement by me meant not to be taken literally. My bad.

First, I applaud all the creative ideas that have been offered in this thread. But I think one thing needs to be pointed out - the lionfish will never be eradicated. At least not in the foreseeable future and probably well beyond. The program that is eventually put in place will have to be a persistent, regular part of the diving activities in the park. Lionfish know no season, respect no territory and will migrate to wherever there's food, which is just about anything half it's size or smaller. Remember - they've just arrived, more are coming and when they're fully established the numbers around and outside of the park will never be controlled and are going to reach population densities similar to what is now occurring in The Bahamas. Like I said before, the park is going to be Fort Apache. Within the park they will have to be controlled daily or damage to the natural marine environment will occur as it has everywhere else. So, my recommendation is, when you're thinking about how to put in place some form of control, think daily, think long term, think more broadly than having the DMs do all the work. They alone just can't do it all and still do the other things they're responsible for.

I took the owness off of solely the DM and placed much into the hands of the divers. That is where the volume of action is. It is only one idea (maybe not the right one either) and only one step of the solution as well. The Lionfish problem will not be an easy one to resolve and will take aggressive action IMO.....asking the DM's to catch them is like asking a person to shovel a driveway one snowflake at a time.

asking the DM's to catch them is like asking a person to shovel a driveway one snowflake at a time.

And I agree with you. DMs have a lot of things to do during a dive, not the least of which is ensuring that the time underwater is well spent by the divers who have come a long way at great expense to dive there. Some may enjoy an occasional diversion to catch a lionfish every now and then but that's not all they're there for so it will become an inconvenience eventually. Policing up predatory fish isn't a big part of the DM handbook, either. What they're being asked to do now might work for now but it's not going to be enough in the future and most divers have other agendas for their dive time. Some divers, on the other hand, would really enjoy eradicating the lionfish for a lot of reasons; sport, defending the environment, etc., and would relish the chance to take part in control activities. So we agree - let divers help out in the common cause. Having seen this debated here for most of this year, the real task is going to be to get the local officials to wake up and get a grip on what's happening to their dollar stream before the only fish on the Cozumel Fish Identification Card is Pterois Volitans. But...you know...manana.....

Ooops - got to put a smiley face on or some people will think I'm just being grumpy....:):):):):):):)

You crusty old bas.....just kidding. Sadly, most politicians have their heads so far up their asses that they stand no chance at having their eyes opened in time. I do hope someone has an idea that will get their attention because it will be a shame to lose any good diving to them.

And I agree with you. DMs have a lot of things to do during a dive, not the least of which is ensuring that the time underwater is well spent by the divers who have come a long way at great expense to dive there. Some may enjoy an occasional diversion to catch a lionfish every now and then but that's not all they're there for so it will become an inconvenience eventually. Policing up predatory fish isn't a big part of the DM handbook, either. What they're being asked to do now might work for now but it's not going to be enough in the future and most divers have other agendas for their dive time. Some divers, on the other hand, would really enjoy eradicating the lionfish for a lot of reasons; sport, defending the environment, etc., and would relish the chance to take part in control activities. So we agree - let divers help out in the common cause. Having seen this debated here for most of this year, the real task is going to be to get the local officials to wake up and get a grip on what's happening to their dollar stream before the only fish on the Cozumel Fish Identification Card is Pterois Volitans. But...you know...manana.....

Ooops - got to put a smiley face on or some people will think I'm just being grumpy....:):):):):):):)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom